Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Common Safety and Related Features YLR Doesn't Have / Works Poorly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm fairly committed to the MYLR and look forward to my order arriving in coming weeks. But before I make a mistake it would help to know what the car doesn't have. As you know Tesla doesn't give us much of a "Features on our cars" list (ok, I lied they don't have anything), and my SA is both busy and useless. Worse, with a demo car over an hour away there is only so much I can do. This will be my wifes car, and to a large extent I'd like to improve her safety protection tools/safety bubble as she gets older.

Would you guys/gals share with me the safety & related features missing that most premium vehicles have today? Things I know (or think) now:
  1. No 360 View.
  2. Poor Blind Spot Alerting vis a vis missing alerts in mirror (hoping 3rd party has solutions that at least integrate into speedo fix)
  3. ineffective Lane Keeping Assist (hoping that's a short term thing)
  4. Less than ideal speedometer location and no HUD (again thinking 3rd party products).
  5. A rep (degree/extend unclear) for sudden unwarranted emergency braking.
  6. Limited rear visibility via rear view mirror, and no electronic rear mirror option.
  7. No "Sleepy Driver Alert" (this could be added, I think, if Tesla wanted)
  8. No rear cross traffic alert.
My goodness, seeing this list in print is a little imposing, and to some degree I'm shocked by my willingness to accept this. I've eliminated cars from my buying criteria for a lot less. Cachet of Tesla I guess, combined with a strong reputation for software product improvements. Perhaps I'd best also ask:

Would you share with my what it does have to improve safety? Things I know about:
  1. Virtual representation of traffic on display (I don't value this as to see it you're taking your eyes away from road and or mirrors)
  2. EAB, what I think Tesla calls "Collision Avoidance Assist"
  3. Blind Spot Warning Chime
  4. Auto High Beams

FWIW, I don't see self-driving as useful today.

Thanks folks!

-d

Guys/Gals, I'm not even a Noob yet. I'm a "waiting-to-be-a-Noob". I can't possibly have covered all the bases and gotten them right, yet crickets.

Is this topic a no-no here,, or has it been beaten to death so many times nobody wants to discuss it? (ok, I didn't search this time first. I figured features were a moving target and anything too old would be meaningless).

Any comments?

1. No 360 View.
  2. Poor Blind Spot Alerting vis a vis missing alerts in mirror (hoping 3rd party has solutions that at least integrate into speedo fix)
  4. Less than ideal speedometer location and no HUD (again thinking 3rd party products).
  6. Limited rear visibility via rear view mirror, and no electronic rear mirror option.
1. Convenience feature
2. Tesla will alert you very loud and you have center screen with visualization that shows the kind of vehicle and location of it real time.
3. Lane keeping totally depends on how clear the road markings are
4. Study shows looking down is more dangerous. HUD will be nice. With the current location, I don't even need to turn my head since my peripheral vision can catch it.
5. I have not experienced any PB other than the ones that I anticipated before hand, such as crossing vehicle ahead of my travel lane. It depends on location or environment. Simple tapping on the accelerator pedal will solve the problem within 0.2 seconds
6. Backup camera along with side cameras facing back?
7. trying to make problems to solve?
9. My parents hit a rear crossing car while backing out of the parking spot with the "cross traffic alert" system on their BMW. The key is that you back up slow. if you don't, no cross traffic alert will save you.

I'm fairly committed to the MYLR and look forward to my order arriving in coming weeks. But before I make a mistake it would help to know what the car doesn't have. As you know Tesla doesn't give us much of a "Features on our cars" list (ok, I lied they don't have anything), and my SA is both busy and useless. Worse, with a demo car over an hour away there is only so much I can do. This will be my wifes car, and to a large extent I'd like to improve her safety protection tools/safety bubble as she gets older.

Would you guys/gals share with me the safety & related features missing that most premium vehicles have today? Things I know (or think) now:
  1. No 360 View.
My goodness, seeing this list in print is a little imposing, and to some degree I'm shocked by my willingness to accept this. I've eliminated cars from my buying criteria for a lot less. Cachet of Tesla I guess, combined with a strong reputation for software product improvements. Perhaps I'd best also ask:

Would you share with my what it does have to improve safety? Things I know about:
  1. Virtual representation of traffic on display (I don't value this as to see it you're taking your eyes away from road and or mirrors)
  4. Auto High Beams

Thanks folks!

-d

I would say you need to decide if your wife can handle or is willing to adapt to something that's fairly different from a typical ICE vehicle. I would not recommend a Tesla to someone who's not willing or unable to learn and adapt a vehicle that's fairly different. When my mom wanted an EV last year, I steered her toward an Audi fat etron because I knew she would have trouble adapting to Tesla.

As for your list of missing features:

1. No 360 View.
It's nice to have, but from driving my mom's fat etron and my wife's Volvo C40, I didn't find much use for it. Maybe because I rarely park on the side of the street.

2, Poor Blind Spot Alerting vis a vis missing alerts in mirror (hoping 3rd party has solutions that at least integrate into speedo fix)
If you're willing to adapt, I personally think the current system in Tesla is just as good. When changing lanes, I typically check my side-view mirror first then signal if it's clear. When I'm starting the lane change, I do a quick glance at the camera feed to make sure nothing has come into the blindspot and then initiate my line change. This has become second nature to the point when I'm in other cars, sometimes my eyes will dart to the center screen because I'm so used to catching a glimpse of the blindspot camera as I change lane. When I'm driving other cars now, I don't even see the blindspot marker on the side view mirror anymore and basically rely on an old school head turn to check blindspot.

Not sure what's ineffective about it? My car always feel like it's on rails when autopilot is on.

Maybe try a test drive to see how it works? I had the same reservation about the speedometer location before I ordered. 5 seconds into the test drive I was COMPLETELY on board with the speedo location. My peripheral vision works much better to the sides than up, so personally I love the location of the speedometer in the MY.

I have experienced one instance of phantom braking in my year and a half of ownership. However, I usually disengage AP if I see someone too close behind me just in case since I've read about phantom braking so much around here.

This is true, but something you can get used to. My wife's Volvo C40 has an even smaller slit than my MYP out the rear. We've both gotten used to it and don't find it to be an issue.

I don't know if this is a thing, but no car I have access to (fat etron, C40, MYP, Subaru Impreza) have this.

This I feel like is something Tesla should have. I don't know how the car can do FSD and not have this. Kind of puzzling. This would be one feature on your list I would like to have on my MYP.

As far as improving safety, I guess one thing I can add from personal experience is that the blindspot chime/intervention worked well in saving me from collision twice so far (once in my own MYP, and once in a rented M3P). In each case I was surprised by a car that moved into my blindspot in the last minute and the car beeped loudly and moved the car out of harm's way.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I'm certainly not going to debate with you, but I did read your thoughts. However, I didn't see this from anybody:

Did I miss anything one would expect?

BTW, drowsy/alert/sleep drivers warning is on, at the least Toyota, Ford, and Volvo. It's something of great concern for a different vehicle. Odd Tesla doesn't have it, but OK.

Thanks,
-d

Reactions: cwerdna
Thanks guys! I'm certainly not going to debate with you, but I did read your thoughts. However, I didn't see this from anybody:

Did I miss anything one would expect?

BTW, drowsy/alert/sleep drivers warning is on, at the least Toyota, Ford, and Volvo. It's something of great concern for a different vehicle. Odd Tesla doesn't have it, but OK.

Thanks,
-d
I think you covered the expected safety features pretty good. I can't think of any other ones off the top of my head.

BTW, I guess our Volvo C40 does have the Driver Alert warning. I never knew about it until now.

One safety "feature" of the MY that you may consider is that it scores extremely high in crash tests from the US and Europe. I suppose most cars today have good crash test scores, but I think the MY is near the very top.

1. No 360 View.

4. Auto High Beams

Thanks folks!

-d
I think you are going to be disappointed with the Tesla. I would consider the electric Volvo XC40 or Ford Mach E

1. No 360 View.

4. Auto High Beams

Thanks folks!

-d
I think you may have missed one of the biggest ones: no more ultrasonic sensors (USS). I have a '21 MYLR and I use USS multiple times a day.

Thank you all. Politely,I'm hoping we stay on track of "what safety features does it have or not have" I've missed instead of tangential conversations about different cars.

Since we've strayed I'll say this: The Mach E is one heck of an impressive machine. Far better ride, better mix of features, better control of a lot of things that matter. Looks darn good too. However, it doesn't meet the mission profile, which kills it, and it's pricey relative to my confidence in it. Volvo: Too expensive in almost every way, I've not even looked at one.

Folks, I'm fairly analytical in how I do things. Let's not assume I hate the car, or don't know our mission for it. Rather you should be thinking "oh, he's asking lots of questions before he writes the check", and "I see he understands all decisions come with compromises".

At this moment if I was to write a $40k check it would be for a CRV Hybrid. If I write a $50K check it will be for the MYLR. If it's $60k it's not a volvo or the Mach E, it would be for a CX-90. But I not gonna write a $60k check for this mission, and I don't think the CRV justifies it's saving relative to the Tesla.

Might I have missed something? Maybe. Although the range of things I question is getting mighty narrow.

Sure am gonna miss rear cross traffic alert though.

I think you may have missed one of the biggest ones: no more ultrasonic sensors (USS). I have a '21 MYLR and I use USS multiple times a day.

Well done sir, I should have included it. I don't expect to ever purchase FSD, and I sort of thought USS functionality was more along those lines and things I also won't miss like "autopark" and "summon". And of course I don't believe Elon saying he's getting better results with Telsa Vision.

Now my Son and my SIL, are both watching with great interest. Both would buy the next release of the S, and both will want/need, and won't buy without, working FSD. They are watching the USS story with a lot of interest. Well, through me, who is tracking for them...

Reactions: bobbyjae

1. No 360 View.

4. Auto High Beams

Thanks folks!

-d
Just ordered a MYLR last night... thinking about getting another to upgrade our S's. This will make my 5th Tesla... net, net it will cost my wife $45K verses the $117K we paid for the Model S several years ago. It has more range, more room and the same 1000 cargo + passenger weight specs and same performance as our 2016 Model S 90D for $72K less than I paid for a Model S in 2016. My wife wants to sit higher (about 7 inches higher than S) and she wanted adjustable shoulder belts (2016 Model S didn't have them). Never once did she ask be about 1-8. I just showed her this video, and she said it safe enough for her, buy it.

You left out the only reason I would never buy any other EV, the charging network..... available, reliable, and cheap... the only thing you need the rear view mirror for is to see the competition slipping away behind you, it never gets old.... you can add Acceleration Boost and get out of several safety events faster than most cars on the road.

Comparison site to help you make your decision. Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD specs, price, photos, offers and incentives

2023 Model Y Safety Features

Standard driver-assistance features:

• Forward collision warning
  • Pedestrian and cyclist detection
  • Forward automatic emergency braking
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Blind-spot monitoring
  • Rear cross-traffic alert
  • Lane-departure warning
  • Lane-keep assist
  • Traffic-sign recognition
  • Autopilot (semi-autonomous highway driving mode with automated steering, acceleration and braking)
  • Automatic high-beam headlights
  • Front, side and rear parking sensors
  • Rearview camera
Available driver-assistance features:

• Navigation-linked Autopilot
  • Automatic lane change
  • Park assist
  • Summon (automated vehicle return from parking spot to your current location)
  • Traffic-light and stop-sign recognition

Last edited:
Thank you. Personally, I don't consider a charging station a significant safety feature any more than I do acceleration boost. I appreciate the information, but it's not really on point, right?

Thanks none the less

Charging is absolutely a safety feature, especially when you need it to work, far away from home, at night in the dark.

How would you like your wife to show up a charging station in the middle of the night and find out that she can't charge, and now has to roam around looking for a charger that works in some pretty sketchy, dark parking lots on an unreliable public network that isn't standardized?

My wife doesn't even want to bother to use the SAE adapter after driving a Tesla for 9 years and can see if the chargers are open on the App and on screen before she even arrives. I also get alerts when she plugs in, can see the location and usually call her to make sure she is OK. Can you do that with any other brand?

ev-charger-outoforder-002-1657558546.jpg

Reactions: WyoDude
Thank you all. Politely,I'm hoping we stay on track of "what safety features does it have or not have" I've missed instead of tangential conversations about different cars.

Since we've strayed I'll say this: The Mach E is one heck of an impressive machine. Far better ride, better mix of features, better control of a lot of things that matter. Looks darn good too. However, it doesn't meet the mission profile, which kills it, and it's pricey relative to my confidence in it. Volvo: Too expensive in almost every way, I've not even looked at one.

Folks, I'm fairly analytical in how I do things. Let's not assume I hate the car, or don't know our mission for it. Rather you should be thinking "oh, he's asking lots of questions before he writes the check", and "I see he understands all decisions come with compromises".

At this moment if I was to write a $40k check it would be for a CRV Hybrid. If I write a $50K check it will be for the MYLR. If it's $60k it's not a volvo or the Mach E, it would be for a CX-90. But I not gonna write a $60k check for this mission, and I don't think the CRV justifies it's saving relative to the Tesla.

Might I have missed something? Maybe. Although the range of things I question is getting mighty narrow.

Sure am gonna miss rear cross traffic alert though.
So what is the point of this thread again? Are you crowding sourcing a list of features you can google and find in 45 seconds?

Reactions: GoodKarma
Just ordered a MYLR last night... thinking about getting another to upgrade our S's. This will make my 5th Tesla... net, net it will cost my wife $45K verses the $117K we paid for the Model S several years ago. It has more range, more room and the same 1000 cargo + passenger weight specs and same performance as our 2016 Model S 90D for $72K less than I paid for a Model S in 2016. My wife wants to sit higher (about 7 inches higher than S) and she wanted adjustable shoulder belts (2016 Model S didn't have them). Never once did she ask be about 1-8. I just showed her this video, and she said it safe enough for her, buy it.

You left out the only reason I would never buy any other EV, the charging network..... available, reliable, and cheap... the only thing you need the rear view mirror for is to see the competition slipping away behind you, it never gets old.... you can add Acceleration Boost and get out of several safety events faster than most cars on the road.

Comparison site to help you make your decision. Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD specs, price, photos, offers and incentives

• Blind-spot monitoring
  • Lane-departure warning
  • Lane-keep assist
  • Autopilot (semi-autonomous highway driving mode with automated steering, acceleration and braking)
  • Rearview camera
Available driver-assistance features:

• Navigation-linked Autopilot
  • Automatic lane change
  • Park assist
  • Summon (automated vehicle return from parking spot to your current location)
  • Traffic-light and stop-sign recognition
At least one of the listed items doesn’t seem accurate currently :

1. No 360 View.

4. Auto High Beams

Thanks folks!

-d
I would like like to comment in general on your concerns, because I shared them and after having the MYLR for several days and just having taken a several hundred mile trip today, I have some thoughts.
I'm not going to go down the list as others have done, but in general all your concerns are warranted to some degree. What I have observed so far is that the Tesla driving experience is unlike any other I have driven. If you are someone who just wants to get in and drive and not put any effort into it, this probably isn't the car for you. So far, I have found the lack of blind spot monitoring/warning in particular disconcerting. Having to train myself to first look down at the screen's representation of the cars around me, then put on a turn signal, then look again at the camera window, then finally the mirror and/or look out the window is a lot of mental steps, especially in heavy traffic. It's so much better when my mirrors light up with a warning light and then, if I ignore that there is a warning chime. And if I ignore those two warnings, it will attempt to prevent me from colliding with the other car. But, I've never in 20,000 miles gotten to the 3rd safety feature because the USS sensors are so effective in detecting vehicles around me.
I do find the lack of a center display also less than great, especially at night where there is just a big black hole in front of you. And before the fan boys and girls chime in here, remember Tesla puts this on the X and S, so obviously Tesla looks at this as a cost saving feature, not a feature. Definitely going to add a small center aftermarket display.
On the other hand, there are a lot of really nice things about the car that make me personally want to try and relearn some habits. The one thing that will make it a little challenging is that this is actually my wife's DD, but I always drive when we are together, so I have to go from my Ioniq 5, which has all of the safety features and is so confidence inspiring.
And, BTW, if you decide to look at other cars, I'd like to put in a plug for the I5. If you look at YouTube comparisons, the I5 nearly always comes out on top versus the Mach E and ID4, and usually the MY. It's gotten just about every award for its class in the last year and is universally well reviewed. I've had mine for 1 year and I like the MY, but, all things considered, I prefer the I5. It currently doesn't qualify for the $7500 rebate, but you can still get a mid-grade SEL for low 50's, and it has all of the features you list in your concerns, except 360 degree view, which is only on the top trim Limited. If you want to spend a little more, the I5 Limited is really amazing.

Reactions: dafish and WyoDude

1. No 360 View.

4. Auto High Beams

Thanks folks!

-d

As a relatively new owner of a Model Y (delivered end of December '22), but a several year owner of a Model S, I can comment on what is there and what is not.

1. 360 View
I have found with the FSD Beta, the Y does a remarkably good job of simulating a 360 degree view while parking, reversing. The visualization automatically rotates to an overhead view with everything around you (cars, curbs, etc...) clearly visible. This is apparently a relatively new feature. The funny thing is that if Tesla just super-imposed a zoomed in satellite image behind the visualization, it would make a pretty good 360 view. Note that my Model S (also running FSD Beta) does not have this feature so I have a feeling it's 3, Y, and refreshed S/X only.

2. Blind spot monitoring
Agreed that in-mirror would be nicer but the display in the visualization is not bad. It is somewhat counter-intuitive to have to look at the visualization (better on the S than the Y) vs. your mirror area but you get into a rhythm with it. Signal, check mirror / look over shoulder / check visualization / initiate merge. If you do miss a car in the blind spot, you get a loud high-pitched warning beep (both of my cars have USS).

3.LKA
I find the LKA on both my S and Y to be sufficient and comparable to other cars I own with similar features.

4. Speedo location
100% agree with this and the thing my wife HATES the most about the Y. I already purchased/installed an aftermarket display and it helps tremendously. Was also pretty easy to install.

5.Phantom Braking
This has always been an issue but has gotten better with more recent builds of the FSD beta. Underpasses seem to be the biggest culprit but I have had it happen out of nowhere. A good thing to remember is that even though in the moment, it feels like a sudden sharp decrease in speed, in reality - it's only 2-3 MPH and you can usually recover pretty quickly. Of course, one time I did have it happen with a motorcycle who was tailgating me and it almost ended badly for him.

6.Rear visibility
I find it fine but in a pinch, you can always bring up the rear camera on the main screen and use that. I have done that in the past in my S when my kids are sitting in the rear facing seats and I have my sunshade in place which makes it impossible to see out of the rear window.

7. "Inattentive Driver" alert
This happens with FSD beta enabled if your eyes are not on the road but I find it a little too aggressive. I do think that Tesla can probably implement some kind of check for this using a combination of the interior camera, steering of the car (e.g. if you are swerving in your lane) and maybe inconsistent speed.

8. Rear cross-traffic
This one definitely needs to happen at some point and it's crazy that the cars don't have it. There has been more than one occasion where I have almost been hit while backing out of a spot in my S because I didn't see an approaching car (even though the car was visible in the side-marker or rear camera).

Reactions: dafish and WyoDude
  • Blind-spot monitoring
  • Lane-departure warning
  • Lane-keep assist
  • Rearview camera

Nice list BTW, should have mentioned it last night. Props to Xeno. Where in heck did you find such clear list? Can I have the link?

Maybe Problems W/list:

1) My Tesla SA, and mind you he's not too good, reports it does not have rear cross traffic alert. But my lack of knowledege here is obvious, but I'd assumed this post was correct: Rear Cross Traffic Alert

Would someone confirm/deny presence of rear cross traffic as Xeno stated?

2) I was told parking sensors are N/A since loss of USS. Did I not understand that?

Things I'd add to the list:
* I really like manual control of front pax airbags. A strong plus for me.