Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Come on down! You're the next contestant on The Autopilot-Release-Date Is Right...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I hear, Musk often known to wing it and shock the troops in the factory.
Intel's Otellini did it once with a TV technology chip - claimed it would be ready in 6 months.
Engineers wondered what he was talking about. Nothing happened in 6 months except cancellation of the project.

That could be. It seemed at the D event Musk might even have been doing that with respect to his reference to the charging snake. But it's certainly not the case with autopilot, as there were cars running autopilot, with lane keeping, at the D event. Yes, I understand that was a very controlled environment, but my point is Musk had not sprung that on the engineers that week or even that month.

I honestly had a long in-depth dream last night about driving with the new Autopilot. It worked amazingly well and I was completely impressed! Oddly enough, it looked exactly like the leaked shots we've all seen. :rolleyes:

Imagine my disappointment when the clock-radio came on and <poof> it all went away... :crying:

Not to be a whiner, but my guess (Nov. 22) is not showing up in the spreadsheet. I posted it on 9/14 before entries were closed. I only mention it because a November release originally seemed like a long shot but it's starting to look better and better. :)

In any case, thanks to wk057 for running a great contest.

I think it's safe to say that the vast majority thought we'd have autosteer by now, myself included. The APiversary is just a few days away. A date that will live in infamy unless a miracle happens.

Any day now...

About to embark upon a 9,000-mile road trip and am bummed about not having even the first iteration of active lane keeping yet. To be fair, in my mind Tesla has the entire rest of Q4 to release the first iterations of the remaining AP features before I will consider them late, and appreciate them taking the time to get it as right as time and current sensors will allow.

On a positive note, this last road trip of the year is scheduled over the next 6 weeks or so; therefore the odds are quite good that I'll have lane keeping for at least some of the legs.

I'll stick my neck out for Halloween as a delivery date, which would be perfect as we'll be in Key West and will probably appreciate every advantage after *that* bit of revelry for the ensuing drive home (see Official Fantasy Fest Website - Key West, Florida - especially the pics from past years and past themes).

To be fair, in my mind Tesla has the entire rest of Q4 to release the first iterations of the remaining AP features before I will consider them late...
Really? Whether you're upset about the delay or not, they're clearly late! It's now certain that it's going to be greater than a year from them saying several months to general availability of most autopilot features. I think most people were expecting 3-4 months, based on Elon's comments. The end of the summer was already pushing it, even with delays. Over a year is a bit ridiculous. And still, we have no idea when it's going to be released and it looks like it still will be missing a bunch of previously announced features.