Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado road Trip, November with Tesla Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I'll start like many others I guess - I really love the idea of driving electric car and I've just got a chance to rent one for my Colorado Road trip. However when planning the trip with plugshare, I'm more and more afraid that this is not a wise decision. This is going to be my first Tesla trip,

Could you help me out? Give me some tips? Tell me to rent gaspowered car? ;)

I'm planning to drive between 7-28th of November. Trip starts from Denver and goes south-west all the way to Grand Canyon. Then north-east through Moab to Denver again.

There and Back again.

The most stressful part is Bluff -> Monument Valley -> South Rim. And then back - South Rim -> Moab.
Is each leg doable during 1 day(without night driving)? Should I really expect ranges only around 200miles in Tesla Model Y (75kWh) and long charging times due to low temperatures?

Thanks!

I just finished a 2900mile road trip with my M3 from Denver to Bay Area through souther route and then SF to Denver through the northern route.

I’ve also done a few other road trips to San Diego, Houston, etc.

Tips:
  1. Trust your car navigation. Try it out there.
  2. Get a CCS adaptor. It opens up a LOT of possibilities. Where before I had plenty of SC, but maybe not enough if I missed one - I now had 3-4 or even 10 options in some areas in case I missed a SC or used more power than expected.
  3. I didn’t see longer charging times even in 30° weather but I saw my wh/m increase a lot as expected.
  4. I drove 85mph almost exclusively but if you’re worried, drive at 70 or even 55 - it’ll make your battery last a LOT longer. For example I had a drive I was going to be arriving with 10% SOC but because I got stuck for 30m behind a slow caravan I ended up with 18% or something.
  5. Trust your car Nav. Don’t be afraid with getting there with 2-5%.
  6. Bring your mobile charger if you have one. Worst case, you can stop and trickle charge overnight.
  7. With cold and flat drives expect about 220 range max, but realistic 180 since you don’t typically charge to 100 and you don’t get down to 0.

Thanks, Seems like Hertz adds adapter kits which contains:
- Mobile Connector,
- Nema 5-15,
- J1772 Adapter - Is this what you mean by CCS?

Anything else is needed? Should I ask for Nema 14-50?

4) Does in car navigation allows you to set estimated average speed when planning the route? I guess 85mph is slightly over the limit? To be fine (and not risk fines) I should go 65-75mph max in Colorado/Utah outside the city as far as I read?
7) Thats sound bad, how about not flat drive? Some parts of my trips are like 4000ft to 7000ft elevation change, 3 times over the distance of 350miles.

Thats my worry - how much impacted? Can I expect 200miles when the temperature is ~50F or even 30F?
AlexParker - Would you like to be my new friend with CCS adapter? 😍 I've tried to send e-mail to Tesla Denver Service center, but the e-mail is not delivered :(

It doesn't look like anyone has yet mentioned: ABRP

You can put each leg of the drive into there, along with expected temps to get a good idea of your expected battery usage (it accounts for elevation changes). The big wildcard is wind, so be prepared to drive slower or use more battery than the predictions if you hit an unfavorable wind.

Some good advice above. In general, I think you should be fine - best advice (as mentioned above) is to slow down when you need extra range. In particular, drive conservatively at the beginning of a challenging leg and speed up toward the end as battery allows, keeping an eye on the expected arrival percentage. You might also want to check starting tire pressure, as I wouldn't trust Hertz to maintain that.

Trust your car Nav. Don’t be afraid with getting there with 2-5%.

I'm going to disagree with this advice for a first-time Tesla road trip. I would recommend targeting more like 12-15% until you get comfortable with meeting the range predictions, especially given the time of year. Of course, each person has their own risk tolerance, but the downsides of running out of battery are considerable!

Also, you might consider reversing your planned route. Check the individual legs, but in general, interstate driving on the supercharger network is easier range-wise than driving off the supercharger network. This way, you'd get a feel for things before venturing off onto secondary highways.

Finally, if you're concerned about range between Bluff and the Grand Canyon, consider stopping in Tuba City: Moenkopi Legacy Inn & Suites | PlugShare

Have fun!

I’m a heavy ABRP user…but I have found it to be less reliable than the new Tesla Nav. It’s why I didn’t recommend it here.
I'm going to disagree with this advice for a first-time Tesla road trip. I would recommend targeting more like 12-15% until you get comfortable with meeting the range predictions, especially given the time of year. Of course, each person has their own risk tolerance, but the downsides of running out of battery are considerable!
Fair - my point being with “being comfortable with 2-5%“ is that it’s OK. I agree that targeting 12-15 until you are comfortable is the right approach, but also don’t fret if you’re driving and you’re getting down to 2-5 and are getting close to a charger. It’s OK.

Thanks guys! I've already reversed the route to visit Pikes Peak and Telluride at the beginning, when the temperatures are higher and probability of snow lower... I don't want to reverse it again :(

I've read about ABRP before creating this thread but I've underestimated what it can do!
My first try looks really promising if only I can trust it ;) Seems like I have also a few options to stay longer at the charger and be safer. I've also didnt add all overnight stops where I can charge to 100% (I hope).

How about getting to some place and finding all the chargers busy? Is this something I should worry about? For example - Almosa, there are just 2 places with 2 J1772 outlets each. Charging is slow so I guess everyone leaves the car overnight there. Should I be worried that getting to place like that gives me 0% overnight?

I’m a heavy ABRP user…but I have found it to be less reliable than the new Tesla Nav. It’s why I didn’t recommend it here.
I've usually found the same (ABRP is usually conservative compared to the Tesla Nav for my vehicle, though the Nav is occasionally overly optimistic), but the Nav isn't available for advanced trip planning for someone intending to rent a Tesla.

You can put each leg of the drive into there, along with expected temps to get a good idea of your expected battery usage (it accounts for elevation changes). The big wildcard is wind, so be prepared to drive slower or use more battery than the predictions if you hit an unfavorable wind.

Some good advice above. In general, I think you should be fine - best advice (as mentioned above) is to slow down when you need extra range. In particular, drive conservatively at the beginning of a challenging leg and speed up toward the end as battery allows, keeping an eye on the expected arrival percentage. You might also want to check starting tire pressure, as I wouldn't trust Hertz to maintain that.

I'm going to disagree with this advice for a first-time Tesla road trip. I would recommend targeting more like 12-15% until you get comfortable with meeting the range predictions, especially given the time of year.
I second this. Telling a first time EV driver to be comfortable with 2-5% arrival percentages is asking for trouble.

but the Nav isn't available for advanced trip planning for someone intending to rent a Tesla.
Could you explain that please? Is Navigation locked somehow?
In fact are there any questions I should had ask Hertz about before I pick up my Tesla? I wanted to rent Tesla 3 from Turo first, the host was nice, offered me full access to the Tesla app + Autopilot, unfortunately Hertz is not so nice... I need to ask more questions (or go back to Turo rental ;) ). The other issue with Tesla 3 is the lack of space, It looks like I can't fit 3 28" suitcases in the trunk.

As we talk about Tesla Nav - Can you see all the chargers from the Plugshare/ABRP in your tesla nav? If not, should I expect to see any warnings like "There is no charger in your destination"?
As I'm creating off-topic discussion - do you recommend anything I should read to have even better understanding of Tesla before this first trip? I mean, I have some knowledge, but things like CCS(type1), or how to pay for charging isn't something I've read about before.

Could you explain that please? Is Navigation locked somehow?
Sorry - no, it's not locked. I just meant that if you wanted to plan your trip before you have access to the car, you can't use the Tesla Nav.

As we talk about Tesla Nav - Can you see all the chargers from the Plugshare/ABRP in your tesla nav? If not, should I expect to see any warnings like "There is no charger in your destination"?
As I'm creating off-topic discussion - do you recommend anything I should read to have even better understanding of Tesla before this first trip? I mean, I have some knowledge, but things like CCS(type1), or how to pay for charging isn't something I've read about before.

The Tesla Nav will only automatically route you to superchargers - otherwise, you can manually enter destinations where you plan to charge (e.g., from Plugshare) - some options are also shown on the Tesla map screen. When you get far from the nearest supercharger, you may see a warning about charging.

As far as paying, I'd recommend looking ahead at where you plan to charge. You probably want to sign up for Chargepoint, and if there's still time, request an accompanying RFID card - it depends on where you plan to charge, but Chargepoint stations are common, and some other brands have cross-compatibility. The RFID card usually isn't needed, but it makes it so you can charge even if you don't have cell/internet connection on your phone.

Ideally you can stay at places where you can charge fully overnight, at least when you're away from superchargers. If you plan to charge at RV parks (like Monument Valley) you will need a 14-50 adapter. Charging on the slower household outlets (5-15) will only give you 4-5 miles range per hour, and less if it's cold.

Good luck - Tesla road trips are fun!

Reactions: Rocky_H
This trip looks like an adventure. I love it! However, you have some difficult segments planned for EV driving. Please take a close look at the ABRP route you posted as "My First Try". It has planned an unwise segment for you from Silverton to Telluride. That is a 4WD route that will likely be closed by November.
1666926579830.png

To get from Pikes Peak to Telluride, I highly recommend you take the US-50 route using the Poncha Springs, Montrose, and Telluride superchargers rather than a southerly route on US-160 through South Fork, Pagosa, and Durango. The southerly route will require several charges on non-superchargers, which are always a gamble. Unless you are planning 4+ hour activities within walking distance of those US-160 chargers, use the US-50 route.

Getting from Telluride to Flagstaff is your other big hurdle. The southerly route through Farmington and then to I-40 is the safest bet, but it sounds like you want to go to Monument Valley. For that route, you can first go to the Blanding, UT supercharger which is about 150 miles and very safe in terms of range, but then you have about a 250 mile stretch to Flagstaff. There are but a few charging options in that stretch and they are all non-superchargers. The CCS charger in Bluff will not be much help because you will have just charged in Blanding and it's still 220 miles to Flagstaff (and you won't have a CCS adapter). I would plan to spend the night at Goulding's in Monument Valley and arrange to charge at one of their RV sites. I've never been there, so I can't give you a personal recommendation.

The rest of the way to the South Rim will be a piece of cake. NOTE: Your ABRP route approaches the South Rim from the east via AZ-64. That road has often been closed since the pandemic began. I would plan to go through Flagstaff and take advantage of the supercharger there on both legs of your journey. Superchargers are what really set Teslas apart from other EVs when road-tripping.

If you return to Denver via Moab, the challenge will once again be the Flagstaff-Blanding segment. I expect that you would have to plan for a long charging stop at Goulding's RV park again. By then, you will have a the experience of having driven that segment in the other direction and maybe that will give you the confidence to make that span without a charge. Or maybe you will be stranded in the desert. I would plan to stop and charge. The Four Corners region is not a good place to push your luck.

I should say that I do own a 2020 Model Y LR (aka Dual Motor). I estimate its highway range to be about 220 miles but elevation changes, cold temps, and wind can really cut into that range. It can also go farther than that in ideal conditions, but it's not worth the stress. I have driven my Y on several long road trips including trips from my home in Houston to Frisco, CO (in winter) and South Fork, CO (in summer). Through almost 40k miles of driving, I have driven more than 200 miles on a single charge maybe 3 times. Pushing your luck on range is stressful and unnecessary. Plan to avoid it.

Please give us updates during and after your trip.

Reactions: gregoryg and bngo
Tectonic, Thanks, I'll create Chargepoint account! 14-50 is another adapter I dont have... Hertz didn't respond to my question, Tesla responded that they won't rent me.
AlexParker, I think your point was clear, no worries.
doeandjon, Thanks for detailed response! This link was really a first try of using ABRP, I have the route planned on plugshare, with the setting 180miles on charge. I want to also charge to 100% in places where I sleep. I will move it to ABRP later, for now please take a look at: Denver -> GC. From Silverton to Telluride I want to take one million dollars road. Assuming it will be open.
To give you even better picture, I'm going to sleep at:
- Colorado Springs
- Alamosa near Sand Dunes
- Pagosa Springs
- Durango/Silverton
- Bluff
- Tusayan (but probably we'd need to sleep also in Tuba City to charge overnight :( or as you've adviced Goulding's in Monument Valley, but it seems to be quite to close Bluff so I need to think about it)
Are you sure about AZ-64? I can't see any info that this road is closed. It is the shortest route to Tusayan.

Return ride:
- We will skip four corners, unique place (as many other during this trip ;) ) but I'm not willing to do extra miles and pay, only to see dot on the ground (correct me if I'm wrong)

Plugshare export again: GC -> Denver
Sleeping cities are work in progress but the idea:
- Page
- Moab
- Green River
- Grand Junction
- Black Canyon (or we skip this place)
- Gleenwood Springs (if anyone is spending Thanksgiving there - let's meet ;) )
- Idaho Springs
- Denver

Ideas as always welcome! Nothing is fixed yet. I need to check also if I have to sleep at some places to be able to charge overnight, or I can sleep in one place and leave the car on the parking 1mile away.
For example Silverton Wayman hotel - no way I can sleep there, but am I allowed to pay and charge?

Ok, a couple more things:
  • You can check recent usage for a station on the chargepoint app. This can give you reassurance that a station is working, and give you some sense of how busy it is.
  • According to AZ 511, AZ-64 is currently open.
  • You could stay in Tuba city *instead* of Tusayan (<2 hours drive between them via AZ-64, and there's a supercharger in Tusayan, so no need for an overnight).
  • Keep in mind you may need to re-route or delay if there's a snowstorm
It may also be worth noting that Tesla road trips aren't usually this hard - you're routing through a big hole in superchargers in the 4-corners region, and you're doing it with one (or 2?) hands tied behind your back without a 14-50 or CCS/CHAdeMO adapter. It can still be done, though!

Should be no worries on your return trip, though (other than perhaps weather) - except for the Page->Blanding leg, which is long, there are ample superchargers, so you can be more flexible.

You have an awesome trip planned. I think Tectonic summed up well the challenges you will encounter. You have chosen a region with few superchargers and a route that misses the few that are there. It can be done, but you will have to be cautious, patient, and flexible. You will be driving the way EVs did 10 years ago which is a bit like ICE cars did 90 years ago. A few more notes:
  • AZ-64: All indications are that it is open now. The Navajo Nation and NPS have a different set of road closing criteria than I've observed in other areas, so just keep that in mind as you approach that area.
  • Million Dollar Highway: That is US-550 from Durango to Ouray. It's awesome and you will love it (provided it's not snowing). I just wanted to make sure you didn't follow the Ophir Pass road (a gravel road that connects US-550 and CO-145) that ABRP was using and I wanted to make sure your charging plans were not based on a shortcut that you couldn't (and shouldn't) take.
  • Charging adapters: You really need to know what the rental agency will provide. They may provide nothing on the assumption that you will only use superchargers and Tesla destination chargers. For your plans, you need a mobile connector with a NEMA 14-50 adapter and a Tesla J1772 adapter. If the rental agency doesn't provide those, you need to find friendly Tesla owner in your neighborhood who will.

I don't like to discourage people but honestly this seems like a tough trip for a complete novice with a rental.

If you are up for the adventure, do a lot of research and pack your patience. If you are wanting a normal vacation, I'd pass on the EV in these parts. It's one thing to take an EV trip along the supercharger highway, but it's quite another to go out to rural areas and be reliant on public chargers. Just my two cents.