Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color selection poll

Which color do you plan to select?

• Eclipse Black

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Catalina White

Votes: 22 8.9%
  • Starlight Silver

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • Pacific Blue

Votes: 40 16.2%
  • Sequoia Green

Votes: 16 6.5%
  • Dolphin Grey

Votes: 29 11.7%
  • Sycamore Brown

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • White Water Pearl

Votes: 21 8.5%
  • Signature Red

Votes: 53 21.5%
  • Sunset Red

Votes: 19 7.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been wanting "white" since the day I put down my deposit. Up until this weekend, I was unsure whether I'd get Catalina or upgrade to the Pearl. After seeing the physical samples at the Scottsdale showroom, I actually prefer the Catalina. The pearl coat is beautiful, but the non-pearl is a brighter white that just gleams.

Another factor in my decision: $1,500 for an upgrade that I don't get to appreciate while driving the car :smile:

They're making a leap in logic that I don't understand.

From skimming the article, both the chart and the later list of (different) numbers talks about cars on the road.

It doesn't say anything about buyer preference, for new or used.

I'd be willing to bet that if every dealer was using a made-to-order (instead of dealer stock) model, we'd see a lot fewer of flavors of gray (black, silver, grey, white) colors. My point being that dealer stock is bent toward "safe" bets in terms of "will sell."

Example: There's no way I would have chosen silver on my latest vehicle. But the red in the model I wanted had only 3 vehicles in all of North America, and none of them were optioned anything close to what I wanted. And there was purchase time window that couldn't be ignored in that decision.

Thanks. I've seen some people comment on here that the Blue has higher saturation than the green. I drove the green at the DC event and thought it was beautiful.
Very Elegant! But I really wanted to see the Blue. I've been asking people that have seen it in person to try and describe it for me.
Does it have the same rich, creamy look that the green does. In most pics the blue seems to be a much brighter, shiny color than the green.
But now after looking at nearly every test drive pic I can find and reading every description I can find, I'm now thinking that the people describing the blue as having high saturation are probably most accurately describing the difference between the two looks.
The green does have a somewhat lower saturation I think that tends to give it a more muted, "greytone" look, while the blue appears to have a higher saturation that gives it the 'brighter', or more blue look.
But in some of the pics of the blue I see what appears to be the same deep, 'creamy' aspect that I so loved about the green.
To me it is what really makes the look one of elegance.

Thoughts? Feedback?

You're agreeing with me, so I'll agree right back at you! :). Yes, that's how i would describe it.

I think the blue is gorgeous, but it is really dark especially in the shade. I've stood next to people at the events and heard, "Is that black? Oh! No, it's blue..." Many times I've heard this. Not saying it's a bad thing -- I'm really tempted by the blue except for worries about upkeep on really dark colors. I personally prefer the highly saturated look, but my friends loved the green (and the brown).

[Edit to add the below:]

Here's a great example of what I'm talking about. Pop quiz: what color is this car?

IMG9410-X3.jpg

(Image from Keith Trauner's gallery on SmugMug: Tesla Test Drive Event s Photos)

Last edited:
You're agreeing with me, so I'll agree right back at you! :). Yes, that's how i would describe it.

I think the blue is gorgeous, but it is really dark especially in the shade. I've stood next to people at the events and heard, "Is that black? Oh! No, it's blue..." Many times I've heard this. Not saying it's a bad thing -- I'm really tempted by the blue except for worries about upkeep on really dark colors. I personally prefer the highly saturated look, but my friends loved the green (and the brown).

[Edit to add the below:]

Here's a great example of what I'm talking about. Pop quiz: what color is this car?

View attachment 7887
(Image from Keith Trauner's gallery on SmugMug: Tesla Test Drive Event s Photos)

Yeah, you were dead on in your original description I think. The biggest difference is the saturation level. The "Value" of the blue is also very high (dark).
I'm guessing the car in this shot is blue, but that's just a guess. I saw some shots of Elon's car that also had some blue tones and fooled me at first.

A lot of love for blue, I voted for it. I really like that it looks black in darker lighting and a rich blue in light.

I originally voted pearl white, but after seeing the (photoshopped) picture of the blue with the carbon grey performance wheels my opinion changed. The blue looks REALLY good with the dark wheels, unlike the pearl white which looks much better with regular wheels IMHO. I didn't like the performance wheels at first, didn't think they worked well on the colors I saw them on first. I'd say they work well on blue, sunset red and maybe brown&green. Not so good on white, black, silver or signature red.

I feel deserted. All those bright, distinctive Roadster colors, but only choices for us non-Prestige folks are shades of grey and black -- unless you happen to be in bright sunlight. I lose my place in line if I wait for the new red (whenever that shows up). Sad to have the best vehicle on the road clothed in such ordinary colors!

This afternoon on my way home from work I paid a visit to a local Audi dealership. I've noticed that the A7 is similar in size and price to the Model S, and it is available in white, ultra-dark metallic blue, and several different silver/grey variations, so I thought this would be a nice opportunity to think a bit about colors even though the Tesla "rainbow" cars from the Fremont event are now touring the country. It turned out to be a very interesting visit.

First of all, I allowed the very eager salesman to give me a quick demo of the A7's features. It's quite a nice car, no question. It has a few features that I wish the Model S had, like the folding mirrors, the blind spot warning system and excellent interior storage (and what a nice cover over the cargo area! Wow!), but goodness me the very trick folding screen is teensy compared to the 17"! :)

Anyway, colors. I visited at a really good moment. It was late afternoon, and they have trees at this dealership, so there were opportunities to see the various colors in full shade, partial shade, full sun, and so forth, from multiple angles in some cases. Also, several of the cars were parked under tall conifers, and most of the cars had had at least a little bit of water get on them in the last week or so since they were washed. The dealership also has certified used cars, and several cars that they keep for extended test drives. So, there was also an opportunity to look at how the various colors handled a little wear.

My conclusions:
  • Oh my GOD I will not be getting black. Of course I know the reputation of black cars as being hard to care for and so on and so on, but there wasn't a black car on the lot that didn't look terrible. They all had very visible water spotting, and some also had fine scratches from cleaning (generally in the certified used group).
  • For much the same reason, I'm regretfully crossing Tesla's (Pacific) Blue off the list. The Audi that was most similar in color looked very elegant and classy, but it was one of the cars parked under the trees, and you could see every bit of dust and debris, as well as extensive water spotting.
  • I certainly wish Tesla had an analog to Audi's "Daytona Grey" -- it's a very pretty dark graphite grey pearl metallic. Gorgeous, gorgeous gorgeous color, looks superb in the sun, and the pearl finish does a good job of hiding little dust grains and water spots. Extremely sexy color.
  • I figured that Audi's "Quartz Gray" was probably the closest to Tesla's (Dolphin) Grey, although it's not a perfect match. The A7 looks really nice in this color, and the dealership had four of them available. In the sun, it's a stunner. I really like how the light makes the car gleam and the metallic finish accentuates the curves. In the shade, though, it was a bit... blah. Out of the direct sun, the color just loses its pop. Somewhat surprisingly, this color showed water spots more readily than the darker Daytona Grey. Huh. On the plus side, one of the pre-owned cars had a scrape on the lower air dam in the front. It was all the way through the paint and down to the black substrate. It was hardly noticeable, but on a white car, it would really have stood out.
  • There were a couple of red cars, but I honestly didn't spend a lot of time on them because they weren't similar to either of Tesla's reds. I did notice two things, though. First, the red didn't show water spots very readily, which is nice. And second, an older red car that was parked in the service area was somewhat faded, which is consistent with the reputation of reds as being fade-prone.
  • Audi's "Ibis White" is pretty similar to Tesla's (Catalina) White. The A7 looks beautiful in white, as I already knew from seeing more than a few of them on the road. The white looks very nice in the shade, where it reveals the car's curves well, and in dappled shade or sun, it gleams. The only downside is that in bright sun, it gleams so brightly that I found the car to actually lose a bit of its sexy curves because it was so bright. Perhaps this is where Tesla's pearl white will have an advantage over the regular white, since the pearl finish tends to highlight the curves. There were no Audis in a pearl white. Even the R8 Spyder was in a conventional white.
  • Key, of course, is that the white absolutely hid all the little dust specks and so forth, and also completely hid water spots, finger prints and so on. You had to get into a position where the light was grazing the car to see these. If you want a car that looks beautiful without having to hire a butler or stow a detailer in the frunk, I can't imagine doing better than white, or possibly silver.
  • More than a few of the Audis at the dealership had either glass sunroof or panoramic roofs, and I noticed something I hadn't expected. The glass roofs readily showed extensive water spots. And why wouldn't they? They're effectively black, and we already know how black behaves. So, this is a bit of a downside to the panoramic roof, but certainly not one that would dissuade me from getting one. At least with the pano roof, you can clean it with glass cleaner and not worry about swirl marks as you would have to with paint. It does make me really question the painted black roof option on the Model S.

So, that's a pretty long-winded missive on the subject of paint colors. Maybe some other folks will find it useful; I hope so. If you're on the fence about paint colors, I'd recommend visiting your local luxury car dealerships. They won't have perfect matches for some of Tesla's colors, but you can get some idea of how at least certain colors look.

MikeK, As usual your post is very informative and useful. Thanks. One of the few things I am personally on the fence about is color--white or silver--and for exactly the kind of reasons you pointed out. These are the two Tesla colors that hide dirt and dust the best, at least the volcanic-soil dirt in my area. I honestly do not have the time to be washing my car all that often and am quite a drive from the nearest automatic car wash. I have owned 3 silver cars and one gold car where I now live. All hid dirt great. Some of the white cars I see around look fabulous, others awful but it's hard to tell how long since those have been washed.

I was planning all along on silver for Model S since not only does it hide dirt well I tend to like its usual touch of elegance. Unfortunately, the silver Model S at the test drives with the performance wheels looks very unappealing. They should never pair silver with performance wheels. And in pictures Model S silver looks gray, not very metallic, and doesn't seem to show off the lines of the car as well as white, at least in the photos.

However, silver hides dirt slightly better than white, even a grayish silver, so it's a tough call. The $750 savings is leaning me towards white but if the white is always dingy between washes I will have wished I spent it. The other Model S colors are lovely in their own regard but totally impractical for my situation. I am excited for everyone who has settled on their special color. I wish there were some real life photos of a silver Model S with pano roof and 19" wheels. I'm wondering how much difference in overall appearance the wheels will make. Any advice from folks about how to choose between silver and white would be very welcome.

Last edited:
Great review and some good tips MikeK.
I will be visiting my Audi dealer this weekend as the main colors I'm currently selected were not on the East Coast drive events.
I'm leaning toward Blue and my neighbor says he's leaning towards black, and neither were on the East Coast.

For those doing their drives in Denver this weekend, I think Blue and Dolphin Grey will be there.
I think the Black is in Portland this weekend.
Love to hear your feedback and descriptions of the Blue car. More pics would also be great!

Last edited:
On the streets of Boston, you see a lot of white and black cars: black is the overwhelming choice for luxury and premium cars, and all taxis are white. So, I don't want either of those colors. I'm on a bit of a one-man campaign to put colors back on the street; such a huge proportion of cars are on the white/silver/gray/black spectrum!

On the streets of Boston, you see a lot of white and black cars: black is the overwhelming choice for luxury and premium cars, and all taxis are white. So, I don't want either of those colors. I'm on a bit of a one-man campaign to put colors back on the street; such a huge proportion of cars are on the white/silver/gray/black spectrum!

Well, white/silver/gray don't show the dirt and black looks great in the showroom. The main problem with dark colours is that you have to keep a cloth in the car to wipe the dust of them every time you get out because they show every dust particle. Also some colours, such as red and brown, fade after a few hundred hours in the sun. I'd rather have a light green or light blue rather than silver but they're not offered. Silver with colour flakes to give a rainbow effect in certain lights might be great as well.

What I'm wondering about is dolphin gray and how badly it shows the dirt.

Robert, here is a link to pics I took of the test drive cars at the DC and NY events. Several of Green as I know that's one on your short list.
Tesla S - PopPopJohns Photos
You can make any pic even larger by double clicking on the already larger pic displaying on the right side of screen.

What I'm wondering about is dolphin gray and how badly it shows the dirt.

As someone that has a grey car, and my dad has a grey car also. I can tell you that they hardly show dirt at all. The only thing that dirt really does is make the paint dull versus bright/shiny.

2007 VW GTI United Grey (Metallic Paint). Me.
2001 Audi TT Nimbus Grey. (Flat Paint) My Dad.

We both live in Atlanta, so salt from the road is never a problem. I imagine that both cars would show salt very noticeably. Probably not a problem for you either Jerry33.

I'm on a bit of a one-man campaign to put colors back on the street; such a huge proportion of cars are on the white/silver/gray/black spectrum!

I know exactly what you mean! I have to laugh to look at the Audi and Mercedes web sites. Audi has, I think, six or seven colors on that spectrum, and not much else. Hats part of why I was excited about the blue, and I was really hoping that it would be a nice compromise that wouldn't show dirt as badly as black, but if the Audi color is a fair analog, it's better but not that much better than black. :-(

The big question for me, as jerry33 said, is the Dolphin Grey, and whether it shows dirt like Quartz Grey, or hides it like Daytona...

I was planning all along on silver for Model S since not only does it hide dirt well I tend to like its usual touch of elegance. Unfortunately, the silver Model S at the test drives with the performance wheels looks very unappealing. They should never pair silver with performance wheels. And in pictures Model S silver looks gray, not very metallic, and doesn't seem to show off the lines of the car as well as white, at least in the photos.

I posted a silver/silver photo earlier in this thread, here: Color selection poll

Definitely agree that it looks better this way than with the dark wheels. I also agree though that Tesla's silver isn't as sparkly as it might be. I've seen a Mercedes in a silver that was just jaw dropping.

The $750 savings is leaning me towards white but if the white is always dingy between washes I will have wished I spent it.
I rarely see dingy white cars. I think they have to get pretty dirty, or be neglected so the clear coat is shot.

Last edited:
As someone that has a grey car, and my dad has a grey car also. I can tell you that they hardly show dirt at all. The only thing that dirt really does is make the paint dull versus bright/shiny.

2007 VW GTI United Grey (Metallic Paint). Me.
2001 Audi TT Nimbus Grey. (Flat Paint) My Dad.

We both live in Atlanta, so salt from the road is never a problem. I imagine that both cars would show salt very noticeably. Probably not a problem for you either Jerry33.

Thanks! The more I think about it, the more I don't want another silver car--I'd like something different (I've been driving a silver car since Oct 2003). And you're correct, salt isn't a problem; around here it's hailstones and wind-blown grit.