Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather Supercharging rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just took our first road trip in the Model S 60. Went to Asheville, NC to see the Biltmore at Christmas. Wonderful display, and wonderful road trip. Lots of very smooth clear interstate to allow the AP to shine. (Even Gen 1 AP).

We supercharged twice on the way out, once in Burlington, NC, about 60 miles from home. And once on arrival in Asheville. On the first charge in Asheville, we started out at just over 300 mph of charge. I had been advised by one of our local Tesla owners that I would do well with charging on the way out because the car is garaged, and with the 60 mile drive, the battery would be warm.

Two days later, I went to the same Asheville SC early in the morning with a cold car. Temp was around 35-40F. Rate started at about 80mph, and eventually increased to about 120 mph during the charge. I tried changing chargers with no improvement. There was one other S there, and I asked him about his rate. He was a local and said he charger there often. He was at 118mph, and said it was due to the cold battery.

My question is whether it would be more efficient to drive the car a bit before charging to get the battery temp up, before going to the SC. The charger was about 7 miles from our hotel. I am not aware of any way to tell the temp state of the battery. Anyone have a guess on this? I know it would depend on how long the car had been exposed, and, of course the outside temp. Might be impossible to figure.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

There are paid phone apps you can purchase that will tell you the battery temps, if you must know that information.

As far as I can tell, the act of supercharging warms up the battery faster than driving the car around before SC (unless you drove for 100 miles with the Range Mode OFF before SC).

There are paid phone apps you can purchase that will tell you the battery temps, if you must know that information.

As far as I can tell, the act of supercharging warms up the battery faster than driving the car around before SC (unless you drove for 100 miles with the Range Mode OFF before SC).

Just the info I was looking for. Thanks JCLU

Reactions: JClu
Because of this effect (cold battery), I always try to charge the night I arrive. What you describe all sounds "normal" and if it's cold enough it can take quite some time for the battery to get up to temp in the morning on the charger.

Ideally you would have a destination charger at the hotel and you could plug in when you get there and be ready to go in the morning. Barring that I find it best to charge the night before while the battery is still at operating temperature from use. I also like the fact that I'm ready to roll when I leave in the morning.

Mike

Reactions: Karen in MN