Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Feet: Reassurance or Reality - Tesla MYLR as a Road Warrior Vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
weekly 300 mile trip.
gas fill is a few minutes and there are stations everywhere. charging takes quite a bit longer, even if it's 20-30min that's a long time in comparison.

Also, most ice would have no problem with AC or heat blasting and never needing to stop for 300miles.
The original poster didn't say explicitly, but based on their responses, it's safe to say they can charge at home. Given that, most of their charging will take 3 seconds. That's way faster than filling with gas.

The original poster didn't say explicitly, but based on their responses, it's safe to say they can charge at home. Given that, most of their charging will take 3 seconds. That's way faster than filling with g
I was speaking to his 300 mile long trips per week. How is 3 sec at home charging going to cover that?

averaging two long trips of approximately 300 miles

As long as you are ok with frequent supercharging (meaning much longer stops compared to gas) it's ideal for your use case.
you will save much more $ on maintenance and fuel with such high mileage use compared to a gas vehicle.

Will probably need to super charge once for about 15 min. Not horrible.
yeah dunno why people are so butthurt that I said it.

ICE cars have 400-500mile range and never have to stop for such a trip. Trade off in savings is fine as long as you are ok with it.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
I drive around 3000 miles a month, and I couldn't be happier. I go on 300 mile road trips about every other week, with 1000 mile road trips every once in a while as well... With the spacing of the superchargers, I haven't noticed any difference between road trips in the winter and summer. The coldest it's been while I was driving on a roadtrip was about 9 degrees F. I still stopped at the same SC, so it's not like I had to add stops. If anything, my SoC was different at the stops, but not so much that I noticed/cared.

Which wheels you have? If you have the inductions, you'll want to get rid of the crapola Goodyear tires when convenient. They are the most terrible tire I've used in the rain. I swapped them out for Continental DWS-06+ in 255/45-20. So much better. Quieter too.. Did not notice a range hit when I swapped either. I went on the same road trips, with both tires. No difference in charging stops.

I know some people will say you go thru tires like nothing, but honestly, I don't notice any difference. I have the same tires on all my cars. They last about the same on all of them. If anything, I replaced them maybe 3k miles sooner on the MY than my Infiniti and Acura.

1. No, yes, maybe. You have proper cold. You'll need to stop once in good weather on your long days and maybe two quicker stops in winter. If you like the idea of taking a break you might be OK. If you just want to get things done as fast as possible, it'll get old.
- Buy a CCS adapter so you can charge as CCS chargers if they're more convenient.
- If your work takes you to various locations and you stay there for any significant amount of time, be on the lookout for destination chargers which might help avoid dedicated stops.
2. If the other bits hold up you'll be fine. You never know. Batteries tend to age out, rather than wear out. Other parts can fail. General vehicle wear. But the powertain shouldn't inherently have problems with it.

weekly 300 mile trip.
gas fill is a few minutes and there are stations everywhere. charging takes quite a bit longer, even if it's 20-30min that's a long time in comparison.

Also, most ice would have no problem with AC or heat blasting and never needing to stop for 300miles.

Again, why would he need to charge 20-30 minutes. Maybe 5 minutes. Just need enough to get back home. Will save a lot of time by not needing to go to the gas station all the time.

ICE cars have 400-500mile range and never have to stop for such a trip. Trade off in savings is fine as long as you are ok with it.
Depends on your driving style, and urgency I guess. I used to drive the same 300 mile road trip every other week with an ICE. Honestly , I would still stop at a place near to where the SC is, just to use the bathroom and grab some food. So in reality, for my regular trips, switching from ICE to EV didn't really impact my driving time much. Same when we went on the 1000+ road trips. Especially if you have kids, you'll be stopping at pretty much the same intervals regardless if you have an ICE or EV. At least with my kids, lol.

Again, why would he need to charge 20-30 minutes. Maybe 5 minutes. Just need enough to get back home. Will save a lot of time by not needing to go to the gas station all the time.
“ supercharge just enough to get home “ is exactly right. Coming from IcE cars, you have to break the gas mentality of “I’m going to fill up”. I do a 350 mile drive regularly and on my way home, I stop at a SC. I plug in, walk 40 feet to a Panera Bread, order a coffee, go to the bathroom, get my coffee, walk back to the car (elapsed time 12 minutes), and have enough to get home where I can charge overnight while I sleep. If you can’t charge at home then will have to spend more SC time.

The number of miles doesn't concern me one bit. I would say that this would work with 95% confidence. Maybe higher after seeing how many superchargers are in WI. If you are similar to a claims adjuster that goes to nearly every town in WI, I could see some problems for a handful of days per year.

- Are your 300-mile trips to the same place (If so that makes it a lot easier, if a supercharger is on the way you are 100% golden)
- I assume you have a garage to charge
- In subzero degree day with snow on the road and a strong headwind, be conservative the first couple times.

Quality of life with EVs is great. Even little things like getting into a warm car in your garage is so good and I'm in NE so I assume my garage stays about 10 degrees warmer than yours.
Thanks! I have five main routes around the state. Pretty much all freeway, and they all have superchargers. Based on what I’m reading here, and other research I think it’ll be fine.

I do have a garage and am installing the wall charger.

We typically get 6-10 weeks of really cold winter weather, and your suggestion about being conservative at first is a great one. Thanks.

In the winter you may need to do some planning before leaving the house if you have a 300+ mile day ahead of you. I've observed the consumption number (Wh/Mi) going up starting around 45F. In the single digit and negative temperatures here in MN, I've observed close to a 50% loss in range, so that's something to keep in mind if you do longer trips in the really cold days. But in general I feel like if you know what you're doing and paying attention to how the car is operating, there shouldn't be any issues. I think I've had more range anxiety in my previous ICE driving than in my MYP (basically none) because I'm so much more aware of its consumption and SOC in different conditions.
You’re describing one of my biggest fears. I think I’m never more than 150 miles from a super charger, so if I really lose 50% range in cold weather, this could be close. I guess, as others are saying, I need to be cautious and test it out. But for the most part, I’m more optimistic.

This is actually one of the things I am considering, although I am committed to moving forward with my purchase. I like the car and the tech, but I don’t see any way around spending a little more time on my long trips due to charging. It seems like it won’t be that much… but time will tell.

Reactions: Eto Demerzel
I drive around 3000 miles a month, and I couldn't be happier. I go on 300 mile road trips about every other week, with 1000 mile road trips every once in a while as well... With the spacing of the superchargers, I haven't noticed any difference between road trips in the winter and summer. The coldest it's been while I was driving on a roadtrip was about 9 degrees F. I still stopped at the same SC, so it's not like I had to add stops. If anything, my SoC was different at the stops, but not so much that I noticed/cared.

Which wheels you have? If you have the inductions, you'll want to get rid of the crapola Goodyear tires when convenient. They are the most terrible tire I've used in the rain. I swapped them out for Continental DWS-06+ in 255/45-20. So much better. Quieter too.. Did not notice a range hit when I swapped either. I went on the same road trips, with both tires. No difference in charging stops.

I know some people will say you go thru tires like nothing, but honestly, I don't notice any difference. I have the same tires on all my cars. They last about the same on all of them. If anything, I replaced them maybe 3k miles sooner on the MY than my Infiniti and Acura.

This is great to see someone else who drives similar miles to me. What state do you live in?

I take delivery in about 10 days. I have the standard Gemini 19 in wheels. If Goodyear is what they use, I imagine that’s what I’ll get. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for all the responses. This helps a lot. I anticipate its gonna be a learning curve but I’m looking forward to it.

To clarify a things.

I do have a garage so I can charge at home. I am installing a wall connector.

What is a common SoC that people use as a goal when the arrive? It seems like 10-20% is pretty normal.

It also seems most people don’t charge past 90%. Is that your experience?

I live in central Wisconsin and have five main routes that I work. I almost always to out and return on the same day, so 90% of the time would be able to charge in my garage overnight.

1. Home - Madison (60 miles round trip) 1 SC near the route
2. Home - Milwaukee (164 miles round trip) 1 SC near the route
3. Home - Rice Lake (455 miles round trip) 4 SC’s on the route
4. Home - Minocqua (397 miles round trip) 2 SC’s on the route
5. Home - Green Bay (240 miles round trip) 3 SC’s on the route

I feel like route 1 & 2 should be able to get out and back without SC year around.

Route 5 I might need to charge for a few minutes in winter.

Routs 3 & 4 I will always need to charge and there seems to be sufficient charging stations along the way.

I’m encouraged by those responding that are doing 3k or more a month. Also appreciate hearing from those of you with cold weather experience.

As for my desire to drive the car over 300k, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. It looks like everything is just too knew so we don’t have a track record to really know.

Thanks again for everyones $0.02.

I like the idea of slowing down a little and having a few extra stops for charging, stretching, and moving around. I hope, in practice, I feel the same way. 🤪

I think you'll be happy with the MY. I'm in southern Florida and took a trip to Green Bay last August and I was surprised at the few superchargers north of Milwaukee...at least comparted to Florida where they are plentiful. Charging at home is so convenient that it makes a gas stop a pain. Many hotels have L2 chargers and J1772 or Tesla connectors work well. I think your thought of "slowing down a little..." will make a lot of difference in your satisfaction. You will certainly find it different. I don't think I'd have anything other than a Tesla at this point.

Reactions: gad1976