Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Feet: Reassurance or Reality - Tesla MYLR as a Road Warrior Vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't drive anywhere near that much, but this is almost certainly fine. For a 300 mile trip, if you charge to 90% before you start (with an L2 charger like in your garage), you can get most of the way to where you're going, and charge at the last Supercharger along your route for just long enough to use the facilities (like, 5 minutes or so). That'll get you back up around 40% and you can be on your way. Then L2 charge at the destination. You're never charging to a very high state of charge with the fast charging, so it will have very little effect on your battery life. I aim to get home with ~20% or so, and slow charge from there (also home electricity is cheaper than at a Supercharger).

You might think you should try to charge to 100% before you leave and make the whole trip without supercharging, but that would be more nerve-wracking to you and much worse for the battery.

On average the batteries seem to lose maybe 10% after 150,000 miles, but most of it is near the beginning. It varies quite a bit, but based on the graphs I've seen I wouldn't be surprised if you still have 85% of the original capacity at 300,000 miles.

If anyone here has actual experience with very high mileage, it would be great to hear that!
Get a 48 amp capable EVSE for your house. It will require a 240V 60 amp circuit.this will allow you to charge up at maximum speed when at home. Chat with electrician to see if there is a way to future proof.

Get a 48 amp capable EVSE for your house. It will require a 240V 60 amp circuit.this will allow you to charge up at maximum speed when at home. Chat with electrician to see if there is a way to future proof.
That's only necessary if you need to arrive home below 10% charge and leave again in less than 9 hours. If not, then the 32 A mobile charger is all you need. (Well, and a place to plug it in, which only needs to be a 40 A circuit, although generally people install a 14-50 outlet on a 50 A circuit.)

That's only necessary if you need to arrive home below 10% charge and leave again in less than 9 hours. If not, then the 32 A mobile charger is all you need. (Well, and a place to plug it in, which only needs to be a 40 A circuit, although generally people install a 14-50 outlet on a 50 A circuit.)
I love my 48 amps, charges up fast. Car always keeps a 48amp draw too. No matter what I did, I would need to install a new circuit so just made sense to go 48amp and future proof a tad too. I have an 48amp OpenEVSE plug-in unit connected to a 60amp outdoor plug which is enclosed in weather safe box. The setup is permitted in my California town. Paid the city the fees & passed city inspection. My car came with mobile connector and it can also plug-in to my outdoor outlet but I just keep it boxed up for trips but have never used it on a trip yet due to supercharger network being great. Also in a shorter amount of time, my car gets more charge and is ready for long distance errands Due to 48amp. when I talk to ev skeptics they Appreciate more miles per hour when recharging.

Last edited:
YEah, if you only charge up to 80%, then there will be plenty of time. I've gotten home close to midnight with 9% SoC, and it was back up to 80% by the time I needed to leave at 8am, with my mobile charger. If I need to charge any faster, I would just hit a nearby supercharger.

As far as an arrival at home SOC, when I first got the car, I used about 20% as my target. After a while, I decided that between 15% and 20% was okay for me. Now, anything around 10% is pretty much ok for me, without causing any stress. In my ICE car, I'd always be concerned about running into traffic near home. That's not really a concern with me now, as the car uses so little energy in traffic. You'll figure it out.
Thanks. I’m wondering if winter weather will leave me wanting to get home with about 20% and summer maybe only 10%. I pick up the car tomorrow. Looking forward to the adventure.