Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

climate control while supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we are new to all this, like 24hours in... we went to our first supercharger last night to give us a little extra to get home safe. The location we stopped at had a coffee shop across the parking lot, kids where sleeping in the 3rd row and my wife was up front. I had the key fob on the yacht floor console. I got out plugged in and left to get a coffee while they stayed. Near freezing outside I come back 10 mins later only to find the stereo and climate control off? My wife said after I got out I opened the read to check on the boys and when it closed it all shut down even though she was sitting in the passenger seat and key was in the car.

Is there a setting I am missing? Don't want them to get too cold while we charge if I get out?

All auxiliaries, including the HVAC system can be kept operational after the driver leaves the car by simply tapping on the central display right after it switches off (goes black) following the signal from the sensor in the driver seat that the driver have left the car.

There might be other ways to do it, but this is the method that we use.

All auxiliaries, including the HVAC system can be kept operational after the driver leaves the car by simply tapping on the central display right after it switches off (goes black) following the signal from the sensor in the driver seat that the driver have left the car.

There might be other ways to do it, but this is the method that we use.

Note that you have to do this within a few seconds after the screen goes black or it won't work.

Methods known:
- Touch the screen shortly after it goes black
- Leave driver's door slightly ajar
- Touch breake pedal after getting out of car (won't work while charging?)
- Use the app

Note: none of the above methods require leaving the key (though warn your wife not to get out and close the door or she won't be able to get back in! )
Note 2: all of these methods come with a 30 minute time limit. After which they need to be done again. To keep climate on more than 30 minutes there are 2 options:
- Leave the vehicle in neutral and apply the parking brake from the touch screen (won't work while charging, and will leave the daytime running lights on in jurisdictions where they are mandatory)
- use a third party app like remote s or visible tesla to automate reactivating the climate control every 30 minutes (requires Internet connectivity, and the device running the third party app to also be on and connected)

Last edited:
- use a third party app like remote s or visible tesla to automate reactivating the climate control every 30 minutes (requires Internet connectivity, and the device running the third party app to also be on and connected)
I don't see a way to do this in the PC app VisibleTesla. It has a scheduler, but you can specify only days of the week and a start time. So AFAIK it will re-start HVAC daily, but not semi-hourly.

In Remote S the feature, "Camp Mode", requires, in effect, that the iPhone not be away from the app's page for more than a 3-minute interval. As the name of the feature implies, it's intended for, e.g., sleeping in the car on a camping trip.

I don't see a way to do this in the PC app VisibleTesla. It has a scheduler, but you can specify only days of the week and a start time. So AFAIK it will re-start HVAC daily, but not semi-hourly.

In Remote S the feature, "Camp Mode", requires, in effect, that the iPhone not be away from the app's page for more than a 3-minute interval. As the name of the feature implies, it's intended for, e.g., sleeping in the car on a camping trip.
In visible tesla you have to schedule a new start climate task every 30 minutes. It's an ugly hack but it works. I can't speak about remote s because it's iPhone only.
There are other 3rd party solutions, I've even scripted one myself on my own server for personal use, but they're all a bit of an ugly hack to the lack of a feature that Tesla promised several years ago (they called it "keep the dogs alive mode")