Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be good in the sense that it might finally help us figure out what's up with MT's numbers that nobody on the planet "outside of Tesla" has been able to produce. It's debatable whether even Tesla has been able to produce the MT number, but that's a separate discussion.

Well sure.

But it might also mean that some of the tings about Tesla that many of us really did not want to believe, in spite of a lot of evidence pointing in that direction for some time, were true.

If it has better performance, and it's not on by now, there must be a component issue of why it's not on.
^ This. Tesla has never been shy about pushing OTA performance upgrades when the validation was solid. IIRC, 85D owners got about 1s shaved off what they were initially promised on 0-60.

Why have the option to make it "true" or "false" in the software though, if at some point it was not intended to be made "true"?
Because good intention does not always align with task possibility.

There is also the possibility a (not so good) intent was to wow journalists for a few hours rather than owners for a few years. It's not unprecedented; Ferrari do this all the time.

If they knew it would never run 10.9, some lawyer would have revised this unambiguous promotion with weasel-words.
This was precisely the situation with "691HP", and it took Tesla 10 months to retract it.

It would be a good thing to know that a P90DL in the wild can really run 10.9 because that would make it more likely that a future SW release will enable it. I suspect they are holding back, because the Design Studio still boldly promotes a 10.9 second quarter mile:

"Ludicrous Speed decreases the 0-60 mph time for Model S 10% to 2.8 seconds with a quarter mile time of 10.9 seconds."

If they knew it would never run 10.9, some lawyer would have revised this unambiguous promotion with weasel-words.

Agreed.

I'm thinking that if this turns out to actually do something, then there must have been some intent to activate this at some point. Otherwise why put it into a consumer's car and not just in the "ringer" used for the Motor Trend testing?

- - - Updated - - -

^ This. Tesla has never been shy about pushing OTA performance upgrades when the validation was solid. IIRC, 85D owners got about 1s shaved off what they were initially promised on 0-60.

Because good intention does not always align with task possibility.

There is also the possibility a (not so good) intent was to wow journalists for a few hours rather than owners for a few years. It's not unprecedented; Ferrari do this all the time.

If that's the case, then why have it available on anything else aside from the car which was tested?

Why leave a "smoking gun" in all of the other cars for someone to stumble across and start asking questions?

Why not just delete it altogether and have it not show up in any production vehicles, let alone those which are upgraded or retrofitted to Ludicrous?

The more I think about this, IF it actually turns out to be something, well then it may have been intended for later activation in only the P90D Ludicrous cars, since there is supposed to be a performance line of demarcation between P85D Ludicrous upgraded cars, and P90D Ludicrous cars.

And currently, there does not appear to be much, if any, performance difference between the two.

Last edited:
If that's the case, then why have it available on anything else aside from the car which was tested?

Why leave a "smoking gun" in all of the other cars for someone to stumble across and start asking questions?

Why not just delete it altogether and have it not show up in any production vehicles, let alone those which are upgraded or retrofitted to Ludicrous?

Sloppy coding?

Seriously, I'm not being facetious.

My guess is that Tesla would probably have preferred that this, if it is what it appears it may be, have never been discovered, and that it had not been left in all production cars this long. But on the other hand, they also were not expecting someone like wk057 to gain access to the inner workings the way he did, so they probably weren't all that worried about it. Looking at it from a really jaded angle, Tesla may have been more worried about being able to get any car to be able to test to the specs as needed,in case at some point some magazine attempted to do some sort of expose type reporting. With the firmware set up this way I expect Tesla could switch "false" to "true" OTA, and there would be no evidence of that anywhere on the display if that's how Tesla wanted it done.

I'm not suggesting this is the reason. It's just one possibility.

Sloppy coding is probably more likely.

P85DEE, first I'll remind you that there's an innocent explanation and I stated it first.

Assuming your objections address the second possibility:

... why have it available on anything else aside from the car which was tested?
Their convenience? They may have underestimated how easy it would be to find.

Because they might want to use it again, and made a (poorly) calculated risk? Or they were just sloppy...

They have the option to delete it at any time.

I dont' want to believe this either, but your objections aren't ruling it out.

Anyway, let's withhold judgement until more evidence is in. I look forward to seeing comparative performance data; maybe there's nothing here at all. As I said, I'm sincerely hoping there isn't.

Sloppy coding?

Seriously, I'm not being facetious.

My guess is that Tesla would probably have preferred that this, if it is what it appears it may be, have never been discovered, and that it had not been left in all production cars this long. But on the other hand, they also were not expecting someone like wk057 to gain access to the inner workings the way he did, so they probably weren't all that worried about it. Looking at it from a really jaded angle, Tesla may have been more worried about being able to get any car to be able to test to the specs as needed,in case at some point some magazine attempted to do some sort of expose type reporting. With the firmware set up this way I expect Tesla could switch "false" to "true" OTA, and there would be no evidence of that anywhere on the display if that's how Tesla wanted it done.

I'm not suggesting this is the reason. It's just one possibility.

Sloppy coding is probably more likely.

They'd have to know which car was being tested, including the VIN number, to pull that off.

We're both killing time speculating here, but I am thinking again, and it's an "IF", but "IF" this really is something, well then the most feasible scenario I can come up with, is that it was intended to create a line of separation between P85D and P90D as was already stated in the Ludicrous Upgrade offering.

Furthermore, I suspect,......or rather speculate, that "IF" that were the case, that it could have been a planned OTA update for all P90D owners, but NOT P85D upgraded owners, and that this OTA upgrade would not come out until the P85D upgrade cutoff.

Some of us have previously been skeptical that there would be a future upgrade, or upgrades, to the P90D Ludicrous cars, which would not be available to P85D upgrade owners.

I'm wondering if this is the groundwork for such an upgrade.

One other thing: This needn't mean anything - there've certainly been plenty of misleading variable names in the history of software - but performanceDemoMode does not sound like something intended to be left on all the time.

I don't think so either, and that's something else I was thinking about Jer.

There is a "hyperlink" or "highlit" option for "maximum battery" already.

What if the same type arrangement were put into place for this "PerformancDemoMode" in those cars for which it was intended to be made available, .......that's if there are any such cars.

If this PerformanceDemoMode, actually does something, well then it would seem that there would have to be a way to invoke it.

Last edited:
On a more boring note-

I've increased logger data file size to 3 megs and have added a switch feature to log (and stop logging) on demand. For the record, DOS SUCKS. I'd forgotten just how much of a PITA it is to hand build FAT and File Listings that agree and do not piss off the host PC.

There is that nagging wait at the end of any logging event while I wait for a battery temperature message but otherwise the switch feature seems to work very well and significantly cuts down on data.

Question for those using the Battery Health option. Now that the log file is three times the size, should I not just go to maximum logging rate on battery health data sets (once every three seconds) and capture even slow charging sessions at full data rate instead of doing a current directed sample rate?

Soooooooooo....... performanceDemoMode ........

princess-bride.gif

It seems enabling this activates a hidden menu in the car info screen (the normal one that shows your VIN when you hit the "T" button):

performance-demo-mode.jpg

Interestingly enough, no P85D/P90D/etc.... just "Max", which is the default setting. So, seems like it'll be a way for sales folks to demo the performance of other trims while test driving a P90D... that's just my guess, though.

However... I did launch in the same spot as the 0-100 I did the other day. Unfortunately I had to cut it at ~82 due to... um... unforeseen circumstances.... but, comparing the data........ it looks pretty much identical. Today's run *was* a hair faster, and interestingly enough at slightly lower max power (~450kW vs ~463kW)... but not faster by much. Like ~0.05s just looking at the text of the data. I'll try and graph an overlay just to be 100% sure in a bit.

I'm going to call it a false alarm for now, though. Sorry folks!

• Funny
Reactions: benjiejr
It seems enabling this activates a hidden menu in the car info screen (the normal one that shows your VIN when you hit the "T" button):
performance-demo-mode.jpg
Yet another example of something that I wish they would expose to owners.

"Come for a ride."
"Cool."
"ZOMG that's quick."
"Want to drive?"
"Yes."
"ZOMG that feels even quicker when I'm in control. I'm not sure I can afford a ___ model though, or that it's worth it. Do you think I should just get the 70D?"
"Just a sec."
tap, tap, tap
"Ok, let's try how 70D Emulation Mode feels."

Seriously, Tesla. We could really help the store folks a lot by sending better informed customers to them by demoing the various performance levels with software -- in the wild.

- - - Updated - - -

@wk057
By any chance are you up for taking some quick samples (and chart them) so that we can see how some of the < P emulation modes compare to the data we have on real non-P vehicles?

@wk057
By any chance are you up for taking some quick samples (and chart them) so that we can see how some of the < P emulation modes compare to the data we have on real non-P vehicles?

Yeah, definitely going to try it out later when I have more time.

For now.... I'll just post this confusing graph that does nothing but demonstrate the erie repeatability of launches in my car...

erie-repeatability-p85d.jpg

I mean... that's pretty crazy. Today's stops at 82 MPH, but still... up until then those lines match up pretty much perfectly. Creepy.

Reactions: benjiejr

t seems enabling this activates a hidden menu in the car info screen (the normal one that shows your VIN when you hit the "T" button):

Interestingly enough, no P85D/P90D/etc.... just "Max", which is the default setting. So, seems like it'll be a way for sales folks to demo the performance of other trims while test driving a P90D... that's just my guess, though.

However... I did launch in the same spot as the 0-100 I did the other day. Unfortunately I had to cut it at ~82 due to... um... unforeseen circumstances.... but, comparing the data........ it looks pretty much identical. Today's run *was* a hair faster, and interestingly enough at slightly lower max power (~450kW vs ~463kW)... but not faster by much. Like ~0.05s just looking at the text of the data. I'll try and graph an overlay just to be 100% sure in a bit.

Oh well. The search as to why Motor Trend got 10.9 in the quarter while no one else has reported the same, continues.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdevp

For now.... I'll just post this confusing graph that does nothing but demonstrate the erie repeatability of launches in my car...

It's almost like it's...... electric.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh well. The search as to why Motor Trend got 10.9 in the quarter while no one else has reported the same, continues.

I think Tesla is well aware that no customer car will do 10.9. See above.

Mike - Thanks, I loaded the logger source data and spreadsheets from my first 4 runs into the Google Drive "Bill D" folder.

I also added an automatic Virtual Timeslip and 0-60 time to the logger spreadsheet (Both with 1-ft rollout). Below is the Virtual Timeslip from my Run 4 (posted above), compared to one of my recent actual Dragstrip Timeslips:

View attachment 113246 View attachment 113247

Nice, thanks Bill. Just getting few mins after long day. Traveling this week, so will catch up as I can.

- - - Updated - - -

On a more boring note-

I've increased logger data file size to 3 megs and have added a switch feature to log (and stop logging) on demand. For the record, DOS SUCKS. I'd forgotten just how much of a PITA it is to hand build FAT and File Listings that agree and do not piss off the host PC.

There is that nagging wait at the end of any logging event while I wait for a battery temperature message but otherwise the switch feature seems to work very well and significantly cuts down on data.

Question for those using the Battery Health option. Now that the log file is three times the size, should I not just go to maximum logging rate on battery health data sets (once every three seconds) and capture even slow charging sessions at full data rate instead of doing a current directed sample rate?

dammit, have some rep again already! Seriously, thanks! Few Image at which location? :)

(Still playing thread catch up, though hoping demo mode is just a term for ludicrous vs insane, though fear I'm wrong)

- - - Updated - - -

Snip graphs ...

I mean... that's pretty crazy. Today's stops at 82 MPH, but still... up until then those lines match up pretty much perfectly. Creepy.

wow, that is eerily similar. Great demo mode though...

There is a post on TM forums from a guy who got an overnight test-drive with this enabled - Used P85D or New 90D | Tesla Motors. Apparently it's a new sales tool, which makes sense considering how many people wish to test drive all 3 performance levels before deciding what they want to buy. Some people who may not have considered higher performance models before, may choose to tap the screen and try it, then when they go back to the lower mode they suddenly find the car feels under-powered (that feeling goes away the next day but they don't get to keep the car long enough to find out ;-) ). It's also likely that this can be enabled via service menu somewhere.

Last edited:
The front is definitely not in use with range mode off while traveling at < ~55 MPH and not accelerating or decelerating, based on what I've seen so far.

Did some logging yesterday( P85D) and both engines are in use when range mode is off at 50/50. Range mode on fwd only. Was never able to see only rwd on when driving 40 km and did switch range mode on/off.