Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm coming into this thread pretty late in the game, but I'm wondering where the best public information is on CAN decoding of the powertrain data I'm seeing posted up here. I have a brand new MS P90DL loaner while my MX P90DL is back at the factory for body fitment issues. I'd like to do some logging with my own CAN hardware and don't want to reinvent the wheel figuring out all of the CAN IDs and scalings. I found the "CAN2 Decode.txt" and "CAN3 Decode.txt" docs, but nothing for CAN6 yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Anner J. Bonilla
Have all the loggers been returned?
I ask because the latest round of batteries and ten second 1/4 mile performance has me looking to understand what is currently available to upgrade my car. I've got a V2 CAN cable on order with my wife's pending replacement S providing a testbed for the new code.

I think this time around I'll simply do wheel speed batV and batI while doing the same battery data capture at the end of each logging set.

Figured I'd throw out some info I came up with while working on hacking the small drive units.

Front motor RPM. :)

launch_motor_rpms.jpg

(Part of a log from an old launch I did)

0x115 --- DIS_motorRPM = (data[4] + (data[5]<<8)) - (512 * (data[5]&0x80));

Enjoy.

Figured I'd throw out some info I came up with while working on hacking the small drive units.

Front motor RPM. :)

launch_motor_rpms.jpg

(Part of a log from an old launch I did)

0x115 --- DIS_motorRPM = (data[4] + (data[5]<<8)) - (512 * (data[5]&0x80));

Enjoy.
I'm not sure what the equation is, but the curves look like MPH, front motor RPM and rear motor RPM.

While I had one of Lola's CAN bus loggers, I made some runs where my front and/or back tires slipped and I saw curves like this where the MPH didn't rise from zero until 0.2 seconds after the rear RPM started climbing. Also, as in the above curves, my RPM climbed smoothly even though the rear RPM was choppy due to tire slip and traction control.

Lola's logger didn't report front motor RPM, but the front motor torque showed when the front tires slipped and the traction control corrected the slip.

Even though I believed my curves showed what my car was actually doing, they left me with a question - What is the source of the MPH data? It's obviously not the front or rear motor RPM. Does Tesla generate the MPH data from an accelerometer?

I think the ABS controller generates speed internally by watching the 4 wheels together and ignoring any that are known to be slipping.
I saw your post in the other thread on the source of your knowledge on this, so you are probably correct.

I've imagined the MPH data was the feedback data into the traction control algorithm, but now realize the MPH data is probably not used as feedback data and only generated for things like the dash display.

I suspect the traction control feedback data is the rate of change of the wheel speed. ie; If either wheel is accelerating at a rate faster than the car could possibly accelerate, power from that motor is reduced by the traction control algorithm.

I'm coming into this thread pretty late in the game, but I'm wondering where the best public information is on CAN decoding of the powertrain data I'm seeing posted up here. I have a brand new MS P90DL loaner while my MX P90DL is back at the factory for body fitment issues. I'd like to do some logging with my own CAN hardware and don't want to reinvent the wheel figuring out all of the CAN IDs and scalings. I found the "CAN2 Decode.txt" and "CAN3 Decode.txt" docs, but nothing for CAN6 yet.
Ouch... completely ignored.

Basically, same Q. Anyone do any work on CAN6 yet? I'll tackle it from scratch otherwise.

Do you have a link to the can2 decode and can3 decode documents? Did a search on google and only reference was this thread.