Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think this will be such a huge problem. How often will the average guy need quick-charging at home?

Assume that I get home with an empty battery at midnight (which would be a very unusual event in itself) and that I need the car by 7AM the next morning. I let the charger draw 16A, 230V throughout the night. That would add up to 25.8kWh, which would mean at least 22kWh in the battery, yielding a range of about 150km. That would usually be plenty. 10A would yield about 100 km, which would usually also be plenty.

This can be solved by having the car ask "When do you need me? How much range do you need?" when you plug it in, and then adjust the charging rate accordingly.

Road trips would be different, but that is not the common case, at least not in residential areas.

And, as utilities upgrade everyone to TOU smart meters, well, that's a heck of a lotta incentive to charge off hours only!

I looked into a TOU meter here in MD. The utility would charge me $15 per month to have TOU. That's more than I would save charging my Roadster at the off peak rate. Result: I don't move to TOU, and they lose me caring about when I charge my Roadster.

I was at 70% usage during night hours and ready to switch to TOU in NJ but, I picked up a MINI E that needs to do 70+ miles around home per day & that means plugging in after each trip; it only has a 65mile range on a bad day; cold.

I used to charge the roadster at 10pm but now I charge on plug in to take advantage of the battery already being warm.

PG&E's TOU schedule in winter has 5-8pm as semi-peak, everything else is off peak, including all weekend. And the semi-peak rate is barely more than the off-peak rate. TOU is really targeted at summer afternoons, to chop the top off of peak demand.

I used to charge the roadster at 10pm but now I charge on plug in to take advantage of the battery already being warm.

I understand the advantage of an "already warm" battery in the winter, and would generally agree. But -- IMHO -- due to the HUGE thermal mass of the ESS, a few hours having "cooled off" in the garage should not make a huge difference in charging efficiency (it will be a few degrees at best), but could make a large difference in the TOU electricity cost/kWh. If the Roadster is parked outside at below 20F for more than 4 hours that would change the efficiency more significantly, of course.

ChargeIt! said:
I understand the advantage of an "already warm" battery in the winter, and would generally agree. But -- IMHO -- due to the HUGE thermal mass of the ESS, a few hours having "cooled off" in the garage should not make a huge difference in charging efficiency (it will be a few degrees at best), but could make a large difference in the TOU electricity cost/kWh. If the Roadster is parked outside at below 20F for more than 4 hours that would change the efficiency more significantly, of course.

On reflection, I agree, I'll set it back. It might have the knock on effect of leaving the battery warmer in the morning so I don't loose regen.

ECOtality

ECOtality, Inc. Announces Filing for NASDAQ Listing
Phoenix – February 16, 2010 – ECOtality, Inc. (OTCBB: ETLE), a leader in clean electric transportation and storage technologies, announced today that the Company has filed an application to list its common stock on the NASDAQ Capital Market.

“We believe the move to the NASDAQ Capital Market is the next logical step in the Company’s future growth and will allow our Company to gain exposure and be recognized by a broader segment of the investment community,” said ECOtality President and CEO Jonathan Read. “With rapidly increasing operations within the United States and increased activity in the international markets, management believes now is the time to move to a larger exchange. As we move forward with the deployment of EV infrastructure on a global scale, a NASDAQ audience will allow us to attract additional investors and improve shareholder value.”

In the U.S., ECOtality’s wholly-owned subsidiary, eTec (Electric Transportation Engineering Corporation) is the project manager for The EV Project, and will oversee the largest-ever rollout of electric vehicle infrastructure in the United States. Last fall, the U.S. Department of Energy – through the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) – awarded nearly $100 million to create that infrastructure, support renewable energy and most importantly, to create jobs. With a match from partners, the total project value is approximately $200 million.

Globally, ECOtality continues to expand. Earlier this year, the company announced creation of ECOtality Australia Pty. Ltd., headquartered in Brisbane, Queensland.

The company is already seeing success there in its marketing and distribution of battery-charging equipment to on-road electric vehicles (EV), industrial equipment, and electric airport ground support equipment (GSE).

In 2009, ECOtality also entered into a joint venture with China’s Shenzhen Goch Investment, LTD., providing $15 million to establish manufacturing and distribution for EV charging systems in China.

The NASDAQ listing application is subject to review and approval by NASDAQ’s Listing Qualifications Department for compliance with all NASDAQ Capital Market Standards. NASDAQ's review process is thorough and may take an extended period of time before completion. While the Company intends to satisfy all of NASDAQ's requirements for initial listing, no assurance can be given that its application will be approved.

About ECOtality, Inc.

ECOtality, Inc. (OTCBB:ETLE), headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona, is a leader in clean electric transportation and storage technologies. Through innovation, acquisitions, and strategic partnerships, ECOtality accelerates the market applicability of advanced electric technologies to replace carbon-based fuels. For more information about ECOtality, Inc., please visit ECOtality.

Forward-Looking Statements

This release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All forward-looking statements are inherently uncertain as they are based on current expectations and assumptions concerning future events or future performance of the company. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which are only predictions and speak only as of the date hereof. In evaluating such statements, prospective investors should review carefully various risks and uncertainties identified in this release and matters set in the company's SEC filings. These risks and uncertainties could cause the Company's actual results to differ materially from those indicated in the forward-looking statements.

Media:
ECOtality, Inc.
Jeanine L’Ecuyer
[email protected]
(480) 219-5005

Investor Relations:
Alliance Advisors for ECOtality
Thomas Walsh
[email protected]
(212) 398-3486

San Diego Region To Get 2500 Charging Stations - All Cars Electric

Some interesting bits.
There will also be up to 60 fast-charge points in key San Diego locations, capable of recharging the car from 20 percent empty to 80 percent full in less than 30 minutes, using a high power output of 96 kilowatts (480 Volts DC, 200 Amps).
Both Level 1 and Level 2 charging points will have the much-anticipated J1772 recharging connector, which has become the U.S. universal standard for plug-in vehicles. Fast-charge outlets will utilize a separate weatherproof connector capable of high-voltage and high-current recharging.
The new Level 2 charging systems are being manufactured for $500 to $700 each, whereas the DC Fast Charge units go for as much as $35,000. They are reserved for commercial installations. Hardware and installation costs will be covered as part of the eTec project, called The EV Project. (The EV Project » Home)