Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Gate is gone??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been annoyed for a year or so that my car had its supercharging maxed out at 80KW because of excessive supercharging. I haven't supercharged for a couple of weeks but imagine my surprise when I charged today and I am back to 120KW!!!

I don't know if this is luck or did I miss the announcement that we we getting the charge speed back.

Either way... wooohoo

P.S they seem to have adjusted the fan profile as while I was charging it sounded like a jet engine

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
Although as I sit here the second half of the charge seems slower than usual, maybe its a way of saying that I am not charge limited anymore but you still have to sit at the charger for as long :)

I have been annoyed for a year or so that my car had its supercharging maxed out at 80KW because of excessive supercharging. I haven't supercharged for a couple of weeks but imagine my surprise when I charged today and I am back to 120KW!!!

I don't know if this is luck or did I miss the announcement that we we getting the charge speed back.

Either way... wooohoo

P.S they seem to have adjusted the fan profile as while I was charging it sounded like a jet engine

Not everyone who joins this forum will have a clue what charge gate is/was and in particular which models and ages of cars were/are affected. Some extra info in the post or in your sig might help people! ;)

Not everyone who joins this forum will have a clue what charge gate is/was and in particular which models and ages of cars were/are affected. Some extra info in the post or in your sig might help people! ;)
I agree. OP, some idea about your vehicle would make it possible to offer a relevant response.

My Raven S LR is not a vehicle effected by charge gate etc, but most / all EV's are ultimately constrained by the same physics, so in one sense, anyone who wants to go beyond just charging and driving will end up considering constraints imposed by the physics that allows our cars to work.

The harder aspect is if Tesla in their wisdom are making reasonable elections on our behalves to do what's best when they modify charging behaviour with software updates. That comes down to consideration of what owners should reasonably expect and Tesla is reasonably obliged to deliver.

My charge rate at superchargers has always been well below my expectations. Even under ideal circumstances with fully warmed battery at low SOC on low-load charge station I think the highest rate I've seen was 110kw for a short time. Most of the time it suits me to charge for an hour so I get a break. It may be that lower charge rates put less stress on the battery at certain battery temps. So while my charge rates are below expectations, I'm not at all unhappy. For owners of earlier / lower capacity batteries who do regular long trips, charging rates obviously have a more direct and significant impact.

So is charge gate still a 'thing'? Some owners of early model S especially 85s but others too saw step changes in max charge rates and some have reported that their charging behaviour has (gradually) returned to something nearer to what they had originally. There is an important issue for Tesla relating to getting older batteries to keep working well enough to not justify warranty replacement. On Tesla's dime you might well demand fastest charging regardless of the effect on the battery, but once out of warranty an owner might well prefer to extend battery life at the cost of slower charging. Unfortunately imo with DC fast charging you don't have a choice and just have to accept whatever your car does.

It's too simplistic to look at just one or two parameters and try to judge if you are better or worse off. It's quite a complex mix of factors.

This:

is a great place to play around with charging behaviour of different cars and different system software versions.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Looks like I can't edit the original article anymore. Yes the assumption was that those that would be affected would know what chargegate was.

One day you were at the supercharger and you could get 120KW+ charge rate then the next we only got 80KW max regardless of state of charge. Tesla claimed that it was because excessive supercharging would damage the batteries to the point that they wouldn't reach their warranties and they'd have to replace everyone's batteries for free. So someone in the US filed a class action lawsuit against them and there it has sat. Those of us that bought cars with free supercharging had an extra 50% wait at the charger because Tesla was worried about warranty claims.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I agree. OP, some idea about your vehicle would make it possible to offer a relevant response.

My Raven S LR is not a vehicle effected by charge gate etc, but most / all EV's are ultimately constrained by the same physics, so in one sense, anyone who wants to go beyond just charging and driving will end up considering constraints imposed by the physics that allows our cars to work.

The harder aspect is if Tesla in their wisdom are making reasonable elections on our behalves to do what's best when they modify charging behaviour with software updates. That comes down to consideration of what owners should reasonably expect and Tesla is reasonably obliged to deliver.

My charge rate at superchargers has always been well below my expectations. Even under ideal circumstances with fully warmed battery at low SOC on low-load charge station I think the highest rate I've seen was 110kw for a short time. Most of the time it suits me to charge for an hour so I get a break. It may be that lower charge rates put less stress on the battery at certain battery temps. So while my charge rates are below expectations, I'm not at all unhappy. For owners of earlier / lower capacity batteries who do regular long trips, charging rates obviously have a more direct and significant impact.

So is charge gate still a 'thing'? Some owners of early model S especially 85s but others too saw step changes in max charge rates and some have reported that their charging behaviour has (gradually) returned to something nearer to what they had originally. There is an important issue for Tesla relating to getting older batteries to keep working well enough to not justify warranty replacement. On Tesla's dime you might well demand fastest charging regardless of the effect on the battery, but once out of warranty an owner might well prefer to extend battery life at the cost of slower charging. Unfortunately imo with DC fast charging you don't have a choice and just have to accept whatever your car does.

It's too simplistic to look at just one or two parameters and try to judge if you are better or worse off. It's quite a complex mix of factors.

This:

is a great place to play around with charging behaviour of different cars and different system software versions.
Mine is a 2017 S70. If you ever see more than 80KW for any reason you are OK. with this problem the car only goes to 80KW and 256miles/hr. I'm told although I have no evidence, that this only affected people with free supercharging as the people with cars of similar mileage who paid for supercharging still got the full rate. Double whammy, reduce the value of "free supercharging" and make me wait longer to charge.

WRT to the warranty and making the batteries last I could have bought that if I was near 100,000 miles but the car only had 60,000 miles on it on the original drop :(

Reactions: InternetDude
Perhaps it’s more likely for those with free supercharging to use it more than those who don’t. I.e. Those with similar mileage who aren’t capped also charged more at home/on AC

If it’s any consolation even relevant Tesla owned loan cars have the capped DC charging rate too (I had one last week)