Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Daily or Charge as needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plug it in at work every other day and on weekends as needed at home. Of course, if I'm driving more or my wife takes the Tesla during the week, I plug it in at home during the week as needed. I have a very reliable commute so I don't worry about the mileage left too much. It is cheaper for me to charge at work, otherwise I would probably leave my UMC at home and just plug in every night.

Sure the BMS handles extremes. Like supercharging. But the BMS does not maintain perfect temps. Just because someone wants to absolutely optimize battery life and another is happy trusting the car to do the right things doesn't make either choice wrong.

What is the real temperature difference at the battery when charging at 20 or 30 or 40 Amp? I bet it's very small. But if charging at 40 Amp cuts the charging time in half, that means the battery is a few degrees warmer, but for the other half of the time it is cooler as it is not charged at all. Since charge time is half the time and assuming you time the charge so it just finishes before you leave in the morning, the battery will stay at a lower SOC longer which is better for the battery. What exactly is the impact on battery life of all these things?

My point is, there are many things to consider. It's not helpful to only look at the temperature.

^ Yes. My recollection from this was that time spent charging was a primary factor in battery degradation. So as long as the BMS keeps the battery within safe temperature limits you are better off charging in the least amount of time. That said, there are plenty of threads on TMC on this topic so we should probably not create another.

Sure charging speed is relatively splitting hairs. In the Leaf world, they feel faster charging is slightly damaging. Heat is the enemy. Faster charging and discharging create more heat. 10 kw is not particularly fast charging for a Model S. The Leaf (2013+) charges at 6kw which corrected for battery size is twice as fast.

It certainly maybe that spending more time at a lower SOC by charging later helps just as much as charging slower.

What I've seen talked about before is why doesn't Tesla cool the battery more. Or at least give us obsessed people (with low electric rates), the option to cool more. The Volt will stay at 70 degrees if plugged in.

I do feel it's important to use this car, and it seems to me that Tesla have achieved a good, pragmatic understanding of battery life vs utility which they have neatly encapsulated into the battery management software.

Examples are the way they manage the rate of charge on a Supercharger - clearly they could cram the KWh in more quickly if they didn't taper the end of the charge, though that would then harm the battery - and the limits they maintain on the SOC and the temperature.

I therefore rely on this and I leave the car plugged in at home, I charge overnight with the next day's driving in mind, worst case, aiming normally to keep the battery around 70%, and then concentrate on enjoying the car!

By the time these batteries are out of sensible life, I expect to see the 500 mile pack and costs will have tumbled. I am guessing that most of us will then want to install the larger capacity battery!

By the time these batteries are out of sensible life, I expect to see the 500 mile pack and costs will have tumbled. I am guessing that most of us will then want to install the larger capacity battery!

I don't expect to ever need a longer range battery than what I have now. Here in California, with lots of SCs already, more on the way, and a mild climate, I have enough range without charging to 95-100%. In the future more and more destinations will offer L2 charging. I can't imagine paying for a 300+ mile range replacement battery in 5 or 10 years. I can imagine buying a 250 mile range replacement battery in ten years for $10K (and that is in 2024 dollars, adjusting for inflation). By then a 250 mile range battery may be the lowest range Model S battery available because battery costs will have decreased dramatically (smaller TSLA models will likely be available with lower range batteries), high speed charging will be ubiquitous and L2 destination charging will be commonplace.

I know that there are many people who live in harsh climates and drive long distances and 300+ mile range batteries will be desirable for them. But not everyone needs that kind of range and those people may prefer to spend less on a lower range battery.

I know that there are many people who live in harsh climates and drive long distances and 300+ mile range batteries will be desirable for them. But not everyone needs that kind of range and those people may prefer to spend less on a lower range battery.

There is nothing wrong with having a choice.

There is nothing wrong with having a choice.

And I didn't say there was anything wrong with offering higher battery capacities, only pointing out that many people don't need or want a higher capacity than the 85kWh they have right now.

In the future I want a replacement 85kWh battery for less than half the price of what I would have to pay right now, and I'm confident that in ten years that will be possible. I don't want to pay for more range then I need.

How much of the charge stored in the batteries is used to transport the weight of the batteries themselves?
That's a very difficult number to calculate, it will depend on what speed you drive at.
At faster speeds weight plays a much smaller role and aerodynamic drag is much more important, the reverse is true at lower speeds. In a recent call Elon mentioned that since the model s was introduced, weight savings of a few hundred pounds (estimate of 10%?) have been achieved, however he also said that it doesn't have as much of an effect as you'd think (and we aren't seeing new cars getting significantly better economy than older cars)

And I didn't say there was anything wrong with offering higher battery capacities, only pointing out that many people don't need or want a higher capacity than the 85kWh they have right now.

In the future I want a replacement 85kWh battery for less than half the price of what I would have to pay right now, and I'm confident that in ten years that will be possible. I don't want to pay for more range then I need.
Exactly why I went against everyone's suggestion to get the 85kWh. If I still have my MS 10+ years from now and remain happy with 200 mile range and 5.9s 0-60, I'd rather buy another 60kWh pack (if offered) and save a few thousand bucks that would more or less go to waste otherwise.