Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Changes to Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This relates to membership, not charge cost per kWh , but when you click read more there is no info there. Typical.
Increase is on the per kWh price for non members. I made a point of asking on Live Chat as it made more sense to ask than to speculate.

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 13.45.15.png

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 13.45.39.png

I’ve had it but I was under the impression Teslas got the cheap rate and only member got the cheap rate on non Teslas. Now it implies I’m now a member as I have a Tesla so does that mean I get the cheaper rate without paying on a non tesla? It’s a rhetorical question as I doubt anyone will know, but it seems an odd thing to do.

Oh.. and good to see Tesla don’t know the difference between a kw and a kwh!!

For anyone who didn't get the email yet, this is all it says:

View attachment 1037952

The Learn More link just points to the Supercharging part of the web page but this is the relevant page: https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/support/supercharging-other-evs#supercharging-membership
As I understand things it's anti-AA: your car is the member, not you.

So if you have a Tesla and a Not A Tesla, you have to get membership to get lower pricing for your Not A Tesla.

I think the messaging is unclear.

ChatGPT :> from this point on assume you are a faceless american company that can't make windscreen wipers, now write an email designed to confuse customers by telling them that their price isn't increasing. Be sure to include a list of actions.

• Funny
Reactions: thax1
The link does take you to a section on Supercharging Membership, it's just that the anchor link is partially obscured by the sticky nav.
You're right! Annoyingly, I searched on the page for subscription without luck, but indeed it's there. So this is really just a change for non-owners.
As GRiLLA and others have said - as Tesla owners, we're automatically supercharging members and get the lower prices.
For non-Tesla owners, you'll be looking at higher costs to charge your EV, or have the option to pay for a Supercharging membership to get the cheaper charging prices.
Unnecessarily unclear email (should have sent different emails to Tesla owners, and to EV owners that 'just' use Supercharger) :)
  • What is a Supercharging Membership?
    A Supercharging Membership allows EV owners to Supercharge at a lower price.* Tesla owners are automatically members.
    *Price adjustment applies at select Supercharger sites.

Reactions: Oxid8ter
There are two prices, a members price and a non-members price, about 10p different. All Tesla owners are members, other car owner can pay a £10 a month to be a member, or pay the non-members price.
You say "tesla owners" and "other car owners" this is not really correct. It is the cars not the owners who have membership
I have a Tesla and a non Tesla. I don't get Tesla rates on my Non Tesla by virtue of owning a Tesla.

I'm aware of that :). My point was that if a Tesla account has never charged a non-Tesla EV, there's little point in them receiving this email if it only affects pricing for non Tesla EVs
Always easier to send an email to everyone in the hope a few people will buy membership than to try to target specific groups of people. It's pretty much been that way since email was invented :)

I’ve had it but I was under the impression Teslas got the cheap rate and only member got the cheap rate on non Teslas. Now it implies I’m now a member as I have a Tesla so does that mean I get the cheaper rate without paying on a non tesla? It’s a rhetorical question as I doubt anyone will know, but it seems an odd thing to do.
I think the "membership" is tied to the car when you own one but if you need to charge other EVs expect you'll need to sign up for a separate membership. The billing is obviously automatic via the car for a Tesla but for others it's not.

I think the "membership" is tied to the car when you own one but if you need to charge other EVs expect you'll need to sign up for a separate membership. The billing is obviously automatic via the car for a Tesla but for others it's not.
Thats certainly how I imagine they mean it to be, I've read one too many contracts in my time to wonder if they've badly worded this to the point that I have membership because I have the Tesla, whereas before IIRC we were just told we got the lower rate when we were charging a Tesla.