Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any DC BMW/VW Chargepoints will be dual-head and have both SAE and CHAdeMO. At least, the general public ones - the ones at BMW dealerships may be SAE only.

Nissan recently announced a project where they will be installing dual-head units as well. Good for Nissan and BMW! This is very helpful.

Now if we could just get them to try for faster, less-complicated chargers in a nationwide rollout rather than concentrating on ZEV areas...

I just read that there are only 16 SAECombo stations in the US and 600 CHAdeMOs (dunno if that individual chargers, or sites).

As of today, chademo.com claims 854 chargers (not sites?) in the U.S. Plugshare says there are 51 CCS and 203 CHAdeMOs in California alone. Thing is that almost all the CCS sites are also combined CHAdeMO sites. I suspect it will be quite some time before there are a significant number of CCS-only sites.

As of today, chademo.com claims 854 chargers (not sites?) in the U.S. Plugshare says there are 51 CCS and 203 CHAdeMOs in California alone. Thing is that almost all the CCS sites are also combined CHAdeMO sites. I suspect it will be quite some time before there are a significant number of CCS-only sites.
Not in US maybe, but I imagine in Europe it'll be very soon (CCS chargers are growing much faster than CHAdeMO even though there are plenty of dual standard ones) and we'll see if Tesla will carry over a CCS adapter after making one for the European market.

Really? All new CCS sites I know are dual or triple headed with CHAdeMO and AC. CHAdeMO is also an official European CENELEC standard now, so CCS may be growing but I doubt it will overtake CHAdeMO here.
CCS installation rate in Europe is about 100 per month according to the below numbers, a number that CHAdeMO has never even got near. Even granted there are a lot of dual standard installations, just looking at the numbers, the ratio is now 30% CCS vs 70% CHAdeMO and this is within the last year (while CHAdeMO had 4 years).
http://insideevs.com/europe-exceeds-700-ccs-chargers-installed/
http://insideevs.com/chademo-announced-milestone-1500-fast-chargers-europe/
http://ccs-map.eu/

Going forward with the EU directive requiring CCS minimum taking effect, there will practically be zero new CHAdeMO-only stations in Europe while there will still be new CCS-only or dual CCS / Type 2 stations installed (as BMW's low power version for example).

I don't know how accurate the data is, but I clicked randomly on the CCS map and its seems a good number in Belgium, Germany, Denmark, and Norway are dual CCS and Type 2 stations but have no CHAdeMO on them.

I think given the way things are going, Tesla will have no choice but to release a CCS adapter for Europe very soon.

Has anybody been able to estimate how many are getting the invitation to order per day? Just trying to figure out how long it will take them to get through the list.

Really tough to estimate. Does anyone even know where the bottleneck is? I'm hoping that production and fulfillment are speedy, but that they're holding back until they can gauge how well the units are performing in the wild. Then the delivery floodgates could open after a few weeks. Otherwise, I won't get an email until Summer.

I just called to double check. I was told for a second time that I am 120 on the list, and that it is an absolute number from when the list was created. Was also told (again) that about 50 invites went out so far, and they are waiting for more stock before sending out further email invites.The person I spoke to could not say when they would get more stock to send out further invites.

When I mentioned that a person on TMC said that he was position 120, she double checked and said that I was exactly number 120; that they usually just give "about" positions in increments of 5's, and thus, the other person could be somewhere between exact number 121-124. She did say I should check back to 2 weeks to see whether more invites have been emailed.

Has anybody been able to estimate how many are getting the invitation to order per day? Just trying to figure out how long it will take them to get through the list.

FWIW, I was added to the wait list on Oct 18, 2013 -- 1 week after the latest date of those that have confirmed receiving it (jomo25 reported being added on Oct 11…).

I have not yet received an email saying I can order...

For those on the waiting list wanting to guage where they are, I found out that my November 3 2013 reservation puts me at 120 on the list. No invite yet.

@swegman, I think you are referring to me at spot 120. I re-read my email from Tesla and it says "It appears you are approximately 120 on the list. " So there you go. You are 120, and I am your neighbour somewhere on the list. :smile:

Woohoo… Since I'm ~2 weeks ahead of your order, I must be under 120 on the list!!!

Now I just need to decide if I'll get it. I won't need it on a regular basis, but it would be good to have for some road trips. $50/week rental anyone?

Sorry for the noob question - how do we get on the waitlist? Having lived with the LEAF for years, I've learned to never pass up a way to plug in, so I'd love to keep this in the trunk as we travel Washington and Canada.

Not applicable to you, but for people in Europe, I was told:

Send the below details to [email protected]*
* Customer?s full name
* Email address
* Phone number
* Country
* Product requested
* VIN

I did that and got an acknowledgement by return (from a Tesla rep apparently in Australia!)

Update from Japan: yesterday and today, I've charged at two of Japanese highway plazas (short road trip to hot springs!), they are both Nissan Slim chargers which are NOT compatibe with Tesla. However, they usually charge a bit and disconnect, sometimes charging lasts more than 20 minutes, so both times I gave it a try. Yesterday, I got 70A (approx 25kW) at Typical Range 210km (which is approx 131 miles Rated), and today I got 70A at Typical Range 124km (77 miles Rated). They charge approx 25kW, which is too LOW for 44kW chargers. I know these installations are 44kW.

I called Tesla SC in Yokohama and found out the following:
- All Teslas (forgot to confirm whether they are all or Japan only) are limited to 25kW if we encounter Nissan Slim chargers, by firmware
- The reasoning was to prevent overheating of Nissan chargers and to protect them (??)
- They said the power limit is not relevent to CHAdeMO incompatibility

I asked them to send me an official email from Tesla to explain the following:
(1) Give me the resolution to charge at 44kW at highway plazas, there are no superchargers on route. Tesla could have "allow list" for charging at 44kW, or they could allow me to downgrade the firmware. Also, if they don't allow me to charge at 44kW for some time, refund me per-minute charges I paid to NCS (Japanese ChargePoint-like company), as I expected higher charging rates.
(2) Give me the reason why Tesla decided NOT to tell owners about this (70A limit firmware change) in advance.

Fortunately I had enough range going back home, and there are many other charging options off highway, it makes me sad to spend 23 minutes and getting only 41km (25 miles) of range. Yes, on the way back it gave me TWO errors during the charging session, once after approx 20 minutes and next after 1 minute. I resumed again and after a few minutes everybody came back to the car (nature break and bought coffee etc) so I disconnected.

- All Teslas (forgot to confirm whether they are all or Japan only) are limited to 25kW if we encounter Nissan Slim chargers, by firmware
- The reasoning was to prevent overheating of Nissan chargers and to protect them (??)

Wouldn't the problem be the Nissan Slim chargers? And the right payment metering should be by kWh, not time?

Update from Japan: yesterday and today, I've charged at two of Japanese highway plazas (short road trip to hot springs!), they are both Nissan Slim chargers which are NOT compatibe with Tesla. However, they usually charge a bit and disconnect, sometimes charging lasts more than 20 minutes, so both times I gave it a try. Yesterday, I got 70A (approx 25kW) at Typical Range 210km (which is approx 131 miles Rated), and today I got 70A at Typical Range 124km (77 miles Rated). They charge approx 25kW, which is too LOW for 44kW chargers. I know these installations are 44kW.

I asked them to send me an official email from Tesla to explain the following:
(1) Give me the resolution to charge at 44kW at highway plazas, there are no superchargers on route. Tesla could have "allow list" for charging at 44kW, or they could allow me to downgrade the firmware. Also, if they don't allow me to charge at 44kW for some time, refund me per-minute charges I paid to NCS (Japanese ChargePoint-like company), as I expected higher charging rates.
(2) Give me the reason why Tesla decided NOT to tell owners about this (70A limit firmware change) in advance.

Fortunately I had enough range going back home, and there are many other charging options off highway, it makes me sad to spend 23 minutes and getting only 41km (25 miles) of range. Yes, on the way back it gave me TWO errors during the charging session, once after approx 20 minutes and next after 1 minute. I resumed again and after a few minutes everybody came back to the car (nature break and bought coffee etc) so I disconnected.

This matches exactly with what I have been told in the UK, that the Model S is imposing a 70A limit when it comes across DBT (i.e. "Nissan") charge points. Unfortunately most of the UK's nationwide "Ecotricity" rapid network uses these units so for now I can only get 25kW.

In the UK at least, TM have said that these charge units are being upgraded [details of upgrade, and timetable, unknown] and that once this has happened we will be able to get the full 125A.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't the problem be the Nissan Slim chargers? And the right payment metering should be by kWh, not time?

Drifting OT but IMO pay-per-minute is a much better model than pay-per-kWh for rapid chargers, otherwise it encourages people to stay at them even when they're tapering down to low charge rates, or after they have finished.

Of course that's assuming that the charger can actually operate at full power to start with though!

Drifting OT but IMO pay-per-minute is a much better model than pay-per-kWh for rapid chargers, otherwise it encourages people to stay at them even when they're tapering down to low charge rates, or after they have finished.

Of course that's assuming that the charger can actually operate at full power to start with though!

I would think the right model is to charge for parking after some period of time.

Hi, @techmaven: yes, the source of the problem is Nissan Slim chargers and Tesla should not cover Nissan's design fault IMHO.
The metering - in Japan there is a law that says you can't resale electricity to consumers, and if you charge by kWh you need to have legally corrected? power meters. Also by charging by minutes you can prevent people to plug in longer than necessary. For example Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has CHAdeMO, and they would charge only 10 minutes because after that it's going to be cheaper with gas.