Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In EUROPE the CHAdeMO is the DC standard, while for AC Mennekes Type 2 is standard.
In The Netherlands for example FastNed is building a narrow mazed network of DC fastloaders.
If Tesla is only focusing on their Superchargers without CHAdeMO they should read the Philips Video2000 marketing story.

Japan is Sep-Oct for sig LHD

You mean 'RHD', of course, don't you? MW

- - - Updated - - -

In EUROPE the CHAdeMO is the DC standard, while for AC Mennekes Type 2 is standard.
In The Netherlands for example FastNed is building a narrow mazed network of DC fastloaders.

... And, FastNed's chargers offer both CCS and ChaDeMo. Surely this is the obvious way to go for ALL L3 charging stations as it is relatively easy (cheap) to implement and removes the whole issue of non-standard standards? MW

In the UK all rapid charging stations use this protocol.
Most of the new rapid charging locations are dual standard with 50kW CHAdeMO and 43kW AC. However, it's worth remembering that many of the CHAdeMO chargers we have today are located at Nissan dealers which are not 24/7 and I doubt will allow a Tesla to charge (certainly they are already preventing i-MIEV's from charging).

The UK does have a lot of 22kW AC deployed with much more coming. Personally I would rather have a few Superchargers at strategic locations for use on long journeys when I don't want to wait, and 22kW AC for everything else. While CHAdeMO would be handy on occasions I really don't think I want to wait for a couple of hours at a motorway service station while charging a 85kWh pack.

The other issue we have in the UK is CHAdeMO reliability... but that's another story :crying:

The other issue we have in the UK is CHAdeMO reliability... but that's another story :crying:

curious about what issues you are seeing? here it seems the consistent issue across brands is how cumbersome and delicate the latching and trigger mechanism is. it's about as unintuitive for the newbie as it could be, leading to accelerated wear and tear, the main reason I don't think CHAdeMO will survive long run. While I have misgivings about Tesla going proprietary and obscuring a clear path to a single universal standard, I have to say they have done such a good job with the charging port/plug design that it bears consideration as the standard.

Well then Tesla already created 2 standards. Whoa, that's just for Model S, make that 3 when looking at the Roadster.
The EU Model S charge port is a modified type 2 vehicle inlet, AKA Mennekes. The type 2 port can do anything that CHAdeMO could do, including DC-mid up to 70kW (that is 140A at 500V) But the signalling is J-1772 compliant not CHAdeMO. So I'd rather not see CHAdeMO rolling out big, further segregating the charging worlds.

Most of the new rapid charging locations are dual standard with 50kW CHAdeMO and 43kW AC. However, it's worth remembering that many of the CHAdeMO chargers we have today are located at Nissan dealers which are not 24/7 and I doubt will allow a Tesla to charge (certainly they are already preventing i-MIEV's from charging).

The UK does have a lot of 22kW AC deployed with much more coming. Personally I would rather have a few Superchargers at strategic locations for use on long journeys when I don't want to wait, and 22kW AC for everything else. While CHAdeMO would be handy on occasions I really don't think I want to wait for a couple of hours at a motorway service station while charging a 85kWh pack.

Here is my problem: 22kW AC is not reasonable for road trips. You need about 30kWh for 100miles / 160km. So that's almost a 90 min charge.
On a Supercharger that's under 20 min (getting a latte and enjoying it).
On a 50kW CHAdeMO it's about 40 min - that's already getting long but at least it's still tolerable.
But 1.5h? For a distance you then drive in an hour (in Germany) or 1.5h elsewhere? That's just a joke. And puts EVs back into the "not useful" category.

That's the fundamental idea behind the Superchargers. Take away the "not useful" label. But building up these networks takes time. They will be reasonably close in the US for people on the coasts, in East Texas and along one corridor from Las Vegas past the Great Likes to the East Coast by the end of this year. In Europe (and to some degree in Japan) I don't see how Tesla can build up a Supercharger network quickly enough. But they could certainly help their cause with CHAdeMO support.

curious about what issues you are seeing? here it seems the consistent issue across brands is how cumbersome and delicate the latching and trigger mechanism is. it's about as unintuitive for the newbie as it could be, leading to accelerated wear and tear, the main reason I don't think CHAdeMO will survive long run. While I have misgivings about Tesla going proprietary and obscuring a clear path to a single universal standard, I have to say they have done such a good job with the charging port/plug design that it bears consideration as the standard.

The Yazaki plug used on many CHAdeMO units is a difficult, poorly designed plug. But, it is NOT CHAdeMO; it is a supplier of parts who decided on a really complicated and overbuilt latching mechanism.

The Fuji Electric CHAdeMO units use a simple J1772 like plug, with a simple button right where your thumb goes. Light weight plastic handle, simple and intuitive operation (like J1772 or Mennekes Type 2), available now:

984b96d3.jpg

Last edited:
I live in Chicago and have a lovely new P85... and I can tell you that we really need ChaDEMO adapters here. The newly installed supercharger in Normal, IL is useless unless I am travelling to St. Louis. Western Michigan is slated for superchargers in the next 6-12 months, but not Detroit. And forget about Indiana, Missouri, Kentucky or Tennessee. In the meantime, if you live in Chicago distance road trips with your Tesla are a dream not a reality.

Yet, there is a whole foods with a CHADeMO adapter just 1/2 mile away from my place. There are FIVE CHADeMO charging stations in Chicago and FOURTEEN in the Chicago area, yet NO PLANS BY TESLA to ever have a Supercharger in Chicago proper as far as I can tell EVER (an no, Gary IN does not count). I understand Chicago has been a hotbed of Tesla sales (I know there are three model S's within 1/2 mile of me), but you wouldn't know it from Tesla's utter ignorance of this area - or the entire midwest for that matter. Indiananapolis has 3 CHADeMO's and no plans for a supercharger until "Fall 2013", and Tennessee a whopping 19 located throughout the Eastern half of the state - an no plans for superchargers there until possibly 2015??! There are 49 CHaDeMOs in the midwest and south (not counting a bunch that are also in Texas and Florida).

I just did my first road trip Chicago to Detroit and back. I had to stop overnight at a campground to charge, and an intense unpredicted lightning storm made charging risky (I did it anyway, I had no choice). On the way out, I had to stop twice after the campground to charge using J1772 (in Albion and Ann Arbor). Thank god they were available. On the way back, I found a private owner who let me use his HPWC for an hour and a half which should have given me enough juice to make it back at the "rated" range; but it didn't and I barely made it back (when I pulled into my garage at home, my mile counter said I had zero miles left!). And my simple 5 hour road trip turned into 7 hours because I slowed to no more than 55 miles /hour between Dowagiac, MI and my home in order to be able to make it (I ended up averaging 215 Wh/mile on that last leg, but was at 360 for most of the trip).

I think that it is terrible PR for Tesla when drivers see me going 55 Mph in a 65 mph zone. Kind of reinforces the negative stereotype of electric vehicles. Yes I know (and knew) I could do that to extend my range, but if I had the ability to charge at a CHaDeMO charger, I wouldn't have had to worry at all and could have driving like normal expending 360 Wh/mile.

Adding CHaDeMO adapters would give us midwestern Telsa owners immediate access to high speed DC charging that is available NOW, not 2014-2015. I would love to see the full supercharger network built, but waiting 1-2 years is not a very good option. C'mon Tesla, help us out PLEASE. CHaDeMO may not be a good long term solution, but it is the only solution available now.

Jeff

What you are not realising is that almost none of the Level 3 chargers work!

They were put in, and managed by, a disgraced company who is under investigation by the FBI. Most, if not all, those you see at Whole Foods, NEVER worked.

If you are that keen on helping get chargers going, help us at the Chicago chapter of TeslaOwners. PM me.

Dear Jeff (originally from Norway?),

Please find below the e-mail I received from a Tesla spokesman in reply to my 'How about the CHAdeMO adaptor' e-mail. It is focused on the EU, but you can imagine a CHAdeMO solution will be a worldwide happening....

Thank you for your email.

It's fantastic to read that we are not the only pro-electricity company in the world and enjoy it to read that other companies are now taking initiative too.

There has been a long standing discussion in regards of the CHAdeMo adapters and I can only speak for Tesla in regards of this, we are currently trying to find a solution for the CHAdeMo adapter and hopefully we can put something in place by the end of the year, please be rest assured that we are working on this. Once this has been completed we will communicate this via our website.

In terms of Tesla stations for swap and superchargers, I would like you as a early adopter, supporter, very much appreciated and respected member of the Tesla Family to understand that, Rome wasn't build in one day and that we are currently rolling out a Tesla Supercharging network starting from Norway towards the south of Europe and yes, this is not the quickest process however as a young company, things might take a bit longer as we might come across certain stumbling blocks that we previously didn't anticipate which can lead to a delay, however we are learning and expanding at a very fast rate and also please be rest assured that this is going to come.

Thank you again for your email and your patience in terms of rolling out the supercharging network. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Tesla etc

I live in Chicago and have a lovely new P85... and I can tell you that we really need ChaDEMO adapters here. The newly installed supercharger in Normal, IL is useless unless I am travelling to St. Louis. Western Michigan is slated for superchargers in the next 6-12 months, but not Detroit. And forget about Indiana, Missouri, Kentucky or Tennessee. In the meantime, if you live in Chicago distance road trips with your Tesla are a dream not a reality.

Yet, there is a whole foods with a CHADeMO adapter just 1/2 mile away from my place. There are FIVE CHADeMO charging stations in Chicago and FOURTEEN in the Chicago area, yet NO PLANS BY TESLA to ever have a Supercharger in Chicago proper as far as I can tell EVER (an no, Gary IN does not count). I understand Chicago has been a hotbed of Tesla sales (I know there are three model S's within 1/2 mile of me), but you wouldn't know it from Tesla's utter ignorance of this area - or the entire midwest for that matter. Indiananapolis has 3 CHADeMO's and no plans for a supercharger until "Fall 2013", and Tennessee a whopping 19 located throughout the Eastern half of the state - an no plans for superchargers there until possibly 2015??! There are 49 CHaDeMOs in the midwest and south (not counting a bunch that are also in Texas and Florida).

I just did my first road trip Chicago to Detroit and back. I had to stop overnight at a campground to charge, and an intense unpredicted lightning storm made charging risky (I did it anyway, I had no choice). On the way out, I had to stop twice after the campground to charge using J1772 (in Albion and Ann Arbor). Thank god they were available. On the way back, I found a private owner who let me use his HPWC for an hour and a half which should have given me enough juice to make it back at the "rated" range; but it didn't and I barely made it back (when I pulled into my garage at home, my mile counter said I had zero miles left!). And my simple 5 hour road trip turned into 7 hours because I slowed to no more than 55 miles /hour between Dowagiac, MI and my home in order to be able to make it (I ended up averaging 215 Wh/mile on that last leg, but was at 360 for most of the trip).

I think that it is terrible PR for Tesla when drivers see me going 55 Mph in a 65 mph zone. Kind of reinforces the negative stereotype of electric vehicles. Yes I know (and knew) I could do that to extend my range, but if I had the ability to charge at a CHaDeMO charger, I wouldn't have had to worry at all and could have driving like normal expending 360 Wh/mile.

Adding CHaDeMO adapters would give us midwestern Telsa owners immediate access to high speed DC charging that is available NOW, not 2014-2015. I would love to see the full supercharger network built, but waiting 1-2 years is not a very good option. C'mon Tesla, help us out PLEASE. CHaDeMO may not be a good long term solution, but it is the only solution available now.

How exactly would Chademo chargers in Chicago have helped you on a road trip to Detroit? I'm not saying an adaptor wouldn't be great, but in general current Chademo's aren't located in convenient places for road trips (Pac northwest not withstanding). I don't see a single Chademo charger anywhere between Chicago and Detroit.

. But 1.5h? For a distance you then drive in an hour (in Germany) or 1.5h elsewhere? That's just a joke. And puts EVs back into the "not useful" category.
I've just driven 3472 miles in a Roadster from Bath to Vienna, then Zurich, and back. The longest day was just over 450 miles with a lunch time recharge at ~16kW. Personally I never want to drive more than 400 miles in a day in Europe because it's a *very* long way.

22kW and 200+ miles range would allow me to easily undertake every car journey I've driven in the last 3 years and 46905 miles. I could do that while charging on route without deviating to a prescribed Supercharger location. Your driving style may be different but neither of ours is unique.

- - - Updated - - -

curious about what issues you are seeing?
In the UK we have multiple vendors installing lots different CHAdeMO hardware and controlling access via RFID cards. We are seeing back office issues that prevent users from charging, vandalism damaging chargers and cables, serious ICE'ing, and Nissan dealers not wanting to give access to third party vehicles (including Leaf's from other dealerships).

My hope is that Tesla will maintain control of the Supercharger network in Europe and it will flourish... beyond that I just want 22kW AC everywhere because it's simple, reliable, and has very low installation and maintenance costs.

"A rising tide and electric vehicles may make for a mixed metaphor, but four of Japan's largest automakers say they're going to work together to build out enough of a charging infrastructure to boost demand for plug-in vehicles in their home country. Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Mitsubishi will work with the Japanese government to more than triple both the country's publicly accessible chargers – both Level 2 and DC fast chargers – to about 11,000 units and 5,700 units, respectively."

AutoBlogGreen

Just in case you were wondering, those won't be Frankenplgs.