Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS versus CHAdeMO in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't answer the CHAdeMO question but Tesla does have plans for a bunch of new SuperChargers in the area.

There are several being built right now as well. You can see them on this third party map.

I suspect in the next couple years they'll add even more out there.

In Canada, we have Electrify Canada. Electrify America has announced it will be phasing out CHAdeMO charging stations. Anyone know if same will happen in Electrify Canada? Have to purchase either CHAdeMO or CCS1, as Quebec and Eastern Canada has few Superchargers.
Thats good news but I’d still like to have other options, as more and more EVs on road, Superchargers will get busy.

In Canada, we have Electrify Canada. Electrify America has announced it will be phasing out CHAdeMO charging stations. Anyone know if same will happen in Electrify Canada? Have to purchase either CHAdeMO or CCS1, as Quebec and Eastern Canada has few Superchargers.
CHAdeMO is an outdated charging standard that is clearly not going to gain market share going forward. CCS is going to be the dominant non-Tesla specific charging standard (it already is in Europe). Buy a CCS adaptor. If you don’t want to wait for Tesla to sell one, consider the SETEC. There are multiple threads about it on TMC. Just be aware it can be finicky, as explained in the threads.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Given the simplicity of the CCS plug and hardware, I can see Chademo being slowly phased out over the next year or two. I doubt they’ll be ripped out and replaced, but I do think that as they break they’ll be swapped for CCS.

I’m hopeful that Tesla will release their CCS adapter before the end of the year, but there’s no guarantees there.

We traveled from Toronto to the Maritimes (Nova Scotia and PEI) and our CHAdeMO adapter was essential, especially in Cape Breton. We used it at FLO stations, which are the only (semi-)fast option in many places. As far as I can recall, all of these stations had CCS as well.

CHAdeMO is an outdated charging standard that is clearly not going to gain market share going forward. CCS is going to be the dominant non-Tesla specific charging standard (it already is in Europe). Buy a CCS adaptor. If you don’t want to wait for Tesla to sell one, consider the SETEC. There are multiple threads about it on TMC. Just be aware it can be finicky, as explained in the threads.

I hope whatever Tesla sells can do more than 50KW. I would upgrade my CHAdeMO adaptor to a CCS one right away if it does. In the mean time, I haven’t seen a DCFC that doesn’t have CHAdeMO on it so I’ll keep my adaptor for now.

CCS Combo 2 charging is designed to support up to 350kW. See Combined Charging System - Wikipedia

That doesn’t mean that with an adaptor you can charge at that rate right now. It depends on the car and the station. But the charging standard has the capability to charge up to that power level.

CHAdeMO is limited to 62.5kW at 500V/125A.

CCS is obviously the future, and is increasingly available right now. I think that CHAdeMO will gradually disappear on North America.

CCS Combo 2 charging is designed to support up to 350kW. See Combined Charging System - Wikipedia

That doesn’t mean that with an adaptor you can charge at that rate right now. It depends on the car and the station. But the charging standard has the capability to charge up to that power level.

CHAdeMO is limited to 62.5kW at 500V/125A.

CCS is obviously the future, and is increasingly available right now. I think that CHAdeMO will gradually disappear on North America.
PetroCan has claimed that their chademo plugs are rated to provide up to 100 kWh. I don’t think my local EV group ever confirmed that though.

Not gonna matter long term since word dropped last night that the Tesla CCS adapter will be available for sale in Korea before the end of the year, with an eye towards NA getting it early next year. Price is $250 usd.

Not gonna matter long term since word dropped last night that the Tesla CCS adapter will be available for sale in Korea before the end of the year, with an eye towards NA getting it early next year. Price is $250 usd.
It is helpful when making statements of that nature to provide a source.

I assume you are referring to this Electrek article, or something similar: Tesla's CCS adapter is finally coming

That article also said this (translated from Korean):
  • The CCS Combo 1 adapter can only be used with Model 3 and Model Y.
  • It cannot be used in Model S and Model X, and when compatibility analysis with domestic charging infrastructure is completed, information on the release will be provided at a later date.
Also, stating that “NA getting it early next year” is speculation. Tesla has not said when such an adaptor will be available in North America.

Last edited:
Thats good news but I’d still like to have other options, as more and more EVs on road, Superchargers will get busy.
If you have software 2021.40, then in the vehicle icon, Software and service, additional information - there's an entry "CCS Support".
My vehicle was made late 2018 and indicates "not installed".

I wonder if anyone with a later vehicle has "installed"?

• Informative
Reactions: pb2000
If you have software 2021.40, then in the vehicle icon, Software and service, additional information - there's an entry "CCS Support".
My vehicle was made late 2018 and indicates "not installed".
I would be careful about making assumptions as to the meaning of “not installed”.

We know that with an adaptor North American Teslas can charge with CCS even though they will not get the full power some CCS chargers can deliver.

“Not installed” may just mean the car’s charge port cannot take a CCS plug directly. Teslas built for the European market may show “Installed” because they are built with a CCS charge port.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and Tz00
I would be careful about making assumptions as to the meaning of “not installed”.

We know that with an adaptor North American Teslas can charge with CCS even though they will not get the full power some CCS chargers can deliver.

“Not installed” may just mean the car’s charge port cannot take a CCS plug directly. Teslas built for the European market may show “Installed” because they are built with a CCS charge port.
Isn't the issue with the not getting full power because the SETEC adapter is actually mimicking the Chademo protocol that was limited to 50 kW?

Reactions: Biscuitman and Tz00
Yes, it's not clear if this refers to the port plug type, the ECU board for processing the power, or the communication protocol (software driver). There was a post long ago discussing European models and CCS that mentioned that CCS powered 3 phases while SuperCharger only powered 1 phase; so the North American ECU boards had 3 units to process 350V but all at the same phase, while European models the board handled each phase separately. (If I'm not garbling that too badly?) This based on the changes necessary to fix S and X units for the European standard.

I don't recall but it seems to me by Sept. 2019 they were already shipping to Europe, so you would think Tesla for simplicity would have one board that worked for both standards. it does not appear to be a special upgrade for Korea...

For now we await clarification.

• Disagree
Reactions: rypalmer