Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Santa Fe, N.M. NOT a supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is an Electrify America charger set up with four DC 350wt using a CCS1 adaptors and just a cc, no acct needed, about 1/4 mile down from the Tesla Supercharger on Cerrillos Rd. It worked perfectly, and is faster than the Tesla Supercharger. Just an option, it’s in the Walmart parking lot, on the right side, facing the main entrance. BTW, we used it as a test run before we will need to use the same in Globe AZ in a few days. A nice lady charging her VW helped with the critical instructions, including to leave your cc against the reader until all four green lines appear. And use the white round buttons to start the charging, as tapping in the screen doesn't work. Sometimes having a little extra charge on long hauls between T Superchargers when is very cold is a very nice thing.

• Informative
Reactions: araxara
There is an Electrify America charger set up with four DC 350wt using a CCS1 adaptors and just a cc, no acct needed, about 1/4 mile down from the Tesla Supercharger on Cerrillos Rd. It worked perfectly, and is faster than the Tesla Supercharger. Just an option, it’s in the Walmart parking lot, on the right side, facing the main entrance. BTW, we used it as a test run before we will need to use the same in Globe AZ in a few days. A nice lady charging her VW helped with the critical instructions, including to leave your cc against the reader until all four green lines appear. And use the white round buttons to start the charging, as tapping in the screen doesn't work. Sometimes having a little extra charge on long hauls between T Superchargers when is very cold is a very nice thing.
Looking at plugshare checkins, I see quite a few reporting problems with various stalls over that last couple months. Nice to have alternatives, though the supercharger down the street worked great when I was in Santa Fe last summer.

Like many EA stations, the choice of them vs a Supercharger for those with CCS capable Teslas is more about how much hassle you want to deal with trying to get the EA station working versus just plugging in to the Supercharger and getting on with your business.
In Santa Fe, however, like many places, the Supercharger is in a nearly defunct mall while the EA CCS is at the Walmart so there is the issue that you can do something useful at the Walmart while charging. The Ice Cream store in the Mall may or may not be open when you're at the Supercharger.

It is more about having options and knowing ahead of time how to use a different system. When we got to Demming, NM, we were charging next to a family who had rented a Tesla at the Alb. airport, and when they got to Demming they went to the Walmart and tried to plug into the EA charger. Clearly not a lot of reading and prep beforehand. Me, I like knowing I have a plan B.

they got to Demming they went to the Walmart and tried to plug into the EA charger
Lucky for them that's a working EA charger. Last week, it was the first one I've used in a long time that just worked the first time I tried.
The charging situation is complicated. One can't really expect a person to anticipate how fragmented the market is.

Lucky for them that's a working EA charger. Last week, it was the first one I've used in a long time that just worked the first time I tried.
The charging situation is complicated. One can't really expect a person to anticipate how fragmented the market is.
Not as lucky as you think. The family with the rented Tesla would not have had the required adapter to connect a CCS cable to their car. It sounds like they were lucky that there was a supercharger close by.

Not as lucky as you think. The family with the rented Tesla would not have had the required adapter to connect a CCS cable to their car. It sounds like they were lucky that there was a supercharger close by.
Good point. I suppose the rental may not have even come with a J-1772 adapter and definitely not a CCS one.

I suppose the rental may not have even come with a J-1772 adapter and definitely not a CCS one.
Those are two vastly different things. The J1772 always is included in every Tesla car, so that should be there unless someone intentionally stole it. The CCS adapter isn't officially offered at all yet, so unless someone went to go find and get one from an unknown third party shop, that's one they probably won't have.

Those are two vastly different things. The J1772 always is included in every Tesla car, so that should be there unless someone intentionally stole it. The CCS adapter isn't officially offered at all yet, so unless someone went to go find and get one from an unknown third party shop, that's one they probably won't have.
When a rental company buys a fleet of Teslas, they may negotiate to not buy the J1772 adapter because they know that it may rarely be used, and will likely disappear very quickly. Saving a few dollars per car adds up. And, if the adapter did come with the car, the buyer might remove it before the car enters service.

The CCS adapter is available to order on Tesla's website if your car does not need the CCS charging mod. Nonetheless, it's almost a certainty that a rental Tesla has no CCS adapter.

The CCS adapter is available to order on Tesla's website if your car does not need the CCS charging mod. Nonetheless, it's almost a certainty that a rental Tesla has no CCS adapter.
Oh, right. I was mixing this up with the opposite kind of adapter. I've been in some thread discussions about CCS cars from GM and Ford, etc. that need to get the new Tesla to CCS adapters sometime in 2024 to use the Superchargers, and those aren't out yet so I've had that on my mind.

The other assertion is too ridiculous to discuss.

Reactions: Earl