Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sign of the times in Phoenix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my MYP for less than 2 weeks, but it does train your eye to spot other Teslas. Yesterday I was driving on the 101 north through Scottsdale when I notice a model S in front of me. I caught up and dropped into line. The model S was following a model Y, and the model Y had a 90D in front of it. So we're all humming along in the HOV lane at 80mph or so for about 8 miles. We did pass a few other Teslas as well.

I bought the MYP because my Infiniti M37 is coming up on 100,000 miles, and I just couldn't see buying another gas vehicle, except perhaps to replace my motorcycle someday. I would never have bought it without the price cut made in January, and the $7500 tax credit this year pushed me into buying one now. I'm not alone. In my gated community, there are at least three new Teslas this spring/summer, including my neighbor across the street. He bought a M2 RWD in April because of the price cut/tax credit too. And I see a model S with paper plates coming by the house now. Not sure how many more are hidden in garages here.

My thinking on EV's has followed a typical curve, I think. Benign ignorance followed by interested after riding in a Tesla, followed by the realization that EV's are a lot further along the adoption curve than I ever would have noticed. Superchargers? It stuns me to learn that most of the SC's in Arizona are already 9 years old or more! The thoughts about road trips and charging issues and range anxiety seem kind of silly in terms of buying an EV. I mean if I worked on a ranch in a rural area, that's one thing, but I live in Phoenix, AZ, within the outermost freeway ring. I can hardly think of a more suitable place to have an EV, (or perhaps an EV with a roof shade.) I don't have to worry about extremely cold winters, and if I hot foot it enough on the freeways to only have - let's say 150 miles range - I still have more than enough for every trip I've made around Phoenix for the past 5 years. I plug in when I get home and have it set to charge after 9pm to 80%. It's always enough.

My one (so far) road trip was just up to Flagstaff and back to see my daughter. Up in one charge, no problem. Then supercharge once and come home. Tucson looks to be about the same, and I just don't drive farther than that except about once a year on a road trip. What to do then? Depends on the trip, at the moment. I still have the Infiniti, and it may be that it only gets used once a year to drive to Colorado via Four Corners. Just about anywhere else I want to go should be easily doable in the Tesla as there are SC's more along the route I want to take. (The Navajo reservation is a true challenge at the moment. Not sure, but Carlsbad Caverns might be another ICE vehicle trip.)

I've come to realize that my MYP gets about the same mileage on a 'fill' as my BMW motorcycle (K1300s). That bike gets about 170 miles around town and 240 on the road (if I don't go much above 85mph). The car looks to be very similar. Drive it like an old lady and maybe 240 miles. Drive it the ways it wants and about 170 miles (probably more, but I notice an alarmingly fast drop in charge after those aggressive freeway entrances.)

Sure wish there were SC's on the Navajo reservation. I love driving through there, and the MY seems like such a good road tripper.

I wonder when someone will butcher a crashed Tesla to remove the battery pack and mount it on a small trailer, then figure a way to hook it in the car's existing battery to double the range? (And then put a small camper shell on top to also take advantage of the battery.)

Tesla_Model_Y_Front_View.jpg

"Tesla Model Y Front View" by Monotoan is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I remember going up 95 in 1992 doing 45 and watching the Turnpike traffic like a parking lot as I drove parallel to it by Jupiter. Yes the slower speed does increase the range exponentially but of you use your climate control it does suck the range out. The key is to be aware of the implications of your actions and act accordingly.
We need to have a plan of action in place before these predictable events occur. If I had to move my Tesla out in an evacuation, I most likely would drive with the windows down and the AC off

You are missing a big feature of Tesla. You can see how busy the Supercharger are before you get there.

And the moral of the hurricane story is to get the heck out early or suffer the consequences! Wait for the masses and you are screwed, period.

Reactions: voldar and SO16
You are missing a big feature of Tesla. You can see how busy the Supercharger are before you get there.

And the moral of the hurricane story is to get the heck out early or suffer the consequences! Wait for the masses and you are screwed, period.
Yes you need to evacuate in a timely fashion but you also need to wait until the forecast of the track and intensity of the storm is at its best.
It’s not always advisable to evacuate.
I have been able to evacuate when I have had to do so.

Regardless of the type of car you having a plan is essential.

Last edited:
Reactions: SO16
Yes you need to evacuate in a timely fashion but you also need to wait until the forecast of the track and intensity of the storm is at its best.
It’s not always advisable to evacuate.
I have been able to evacuate when I have had to do so.

Regardless of the type of car you having a plan is essential.
If you do need to leave your EV behind and if it could get flooded by saltwater, it would be best to at least move it out of the garage in case of fire. But I would try to move it to higher ground regardless of vehicle type.

Reactions: Ti317
If you do need to leave your EV behind and if it could get flooded by saltwater, it would be best to at least move it out of the garage in case of fire. But I would try to move it to higher ground regardless of vehicle type.

Get a flood bag!

What's the nav say? I'd be surprised if there's actually anywhere left in the US that a Tesla can't travel using the supercharger network.
The nav says I cannot go through Kayenta to get to Four Corners. (In other words, you can't go the shortest route). Instead, I'm routed over to Gallup, up to Farmington (SC there), and then backtrack to Four Corners, and also go out of the way to Bluff, UT (SC there).

The obvious (!) places you would like to have Superchargers would be #1 Kayenta, #2 intersection of 160 and 491 near Four Corners, #3 Cortez, #4 Durango, #5 Tuba City, #6 Dove Creek, #7 Naturita/Nucla area. Would love to see something in Gateway as well. Get enough of these remote towns set up and one can reasonably take a car camping out there.

I've only had my MYP for less than 2 weeks, but it does train your eye to spot other Teslas. Yesterday I was driving on the 101 north through Scottsdale when I notice a model S in front of me. I caught up and dropped into line. The model S was following a model Y, and the model Y had a 90D in front of it. So we're all humming along in the HOV lane at 80mph or so for about 8 miles. We did pass a few other Teslas as well.

I bought the MYP because my Infiniti M37 is coming up on 100,000 miles, and I just couldn't see buying another gas vehicle, except perhaps to replace my motorcycle someday. I would never have bought it without the price cut made in January, and the $7500 tax credit this year pushed me into buying one now. I'm not alone. In my gated community, there are at least three new Teslas this spring/summer, including my neighbor across the street. He bought a M2 RWD in April because of the price cut/tax credit too. And I see a model S with paper plates coming by the house now. Not sure how many more are hidden in garages here.

My thinking on EV's has followed a typical curve, I think. Benign ignorance followed by interested after riding in a Tesla, followed by the realization that EV's are a lot further along the adoption curve than I ever would have noticed. Superchargers? It stuns me to learn that most of the SC's in Arizona are already 9 years old or more! The thoughts about road trips and charging issues and range anxiety seem kind of silly in terms of buying an EV. I mean if I worked on a ranch in a rural area, that's one thing, but I live in Phoenix, AZ, within the outermost freeway ring. I can hardly think of a more suitable place to have an EV, (or perhaps an EV with a roof shade.) I don't have to worry about extremely cold winters, and if I hot foot it enough on the freeways to only have - let's say 150 miles range - I still have more than enough for every trip I've made around Phoenix for the past 5 years. I plug in when I get home and have it set to charge after 9pm to 80%. It's always enough.

My one (so far) road trip was just up to Flagstaff and back to see my daughter. Up in one charge, no problem. Then supercharge once and come home. Tucson looks to be about the same, and I just don't drive farther than that except about once a year on a road trip. What to do then? Depends on the trip, at the moment. I still have the Infiniti, and it may be that it only gets used once a year to drive to Colorado via Four Corners. Just about anywhere else I want to go should be easily doable in the Tesla as there are SC's more along the route I want to take. (The Navajo reservation is a true challenge at the moment. Not sure, but Carlsbad Caverns might be another ICE vehicle trip.)

I've come to realize that my MYP gets about the same mileage on a 'fill' as my BMW motorcycle (K1300s). That bike gets about 170 miles around town and 240 on the road (if I don't go much above 85mph). The car looks to be very similar. Drive it like an old lady and maybe 240 miles. Drive it the ways it wants and about 170 miles (probably more, but I notice an alarmingly fast drop in charge after those aggressive freeway entrances.)

Sure wish there were SC's on the Navajo reservation. I love driving through there, and the MY seems like such a good road tripper.

I wonder when someone will butcher a crashed Tesla to remove the battery pack and mount it on a small trailer, then figure a way to hook it in the car's existing battery to double the range? (And then put a small camper shell on top to also take advantage of the battery.)

View attachment 973855
"Tesla Model Y Front View" by Monotoan is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
The battery in a trailer was done some years ago, when Superchargers were about as rare as an honest politician. I believe it was an early Model S, they kludged a trailer hitch on it and pulled a trailer with a battery, some charging cables and extensions. Don't perzackly remember how they connected it, but in the end, the game wasn't worth the candle, towing that much weight.
You might try searching YouTube for it.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Get a flood bag!
I thank you for the flood bag tip. I currently have access to elevated parking if I have to leave the car but I like the idea of the flood bag.
It seems that it also protects the paint from scratches. I’m going to look into it