Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not reading speed signs in Texas and other remarks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was on a 2,309 miles road trip in Texas last week with my Model Y. First trip using superchargers. The autosteer missed the vast majority of the speed signs on Texas highways. Back in Colorado, it sees all the speed signs. How is this possible? Waze GPS was not missing the signs… Anything Tesla should fix??? Could be some kind of safety issue?

Also superchargers’ electricity cost for these miles was only about 27% cheaper than using gas… I don’t think this is enough to attract people to EVs or do Tesla owners care since higher income group? This being said, oddly enough, It also seems that Tesla could have a lower kWh rate lower than other networks like Blink…

Finally I loved being punished by the autosteer…. I guess the system never makes a mistake, they are all yours like accelerating for safety reason while on autosteer, action the system can’t understand…

Overall a great car for long trips. Superchargers were always up and running.

After seeing how different Texas roads are, you can't believe that there is a difference?

In many situations, it appears as if the cars are using the map speed limits and not the posted ones.
And there seems to be something weird right now, they don't know how to read 65 mph signs. They just don't appear!

Reactions: byeLT4
The only Tesla vehicles that actually read speed limit signs are all 10 years old. Anything recent uses a database, which as you found is not always accurate. It’s working as designed…
Not quite right. The newer cars indeed read the signs. At times it can be obvious and not debatable.
How much they read signs is debatable and has varied with different releases.

And your response is interesting, as there's other threads talking about how it ONLY reads signs.

Hmmm…I pay .24 to .34 at every Supercharger I’ve used anywhere in Texas. I think I that’s pretty cheap and I end up spending 1/3 or so as much as I would on gas.
Believe it or not, there is a world outside of Texas. And prices can vary a lot.

Most people have found that it is much more economical than a big vehicle, but can be on-par or more expensive with some high economy ICE cars.
Home charging is the straw that breaks the ICEs back.

Hmmm…I pay .24 to .34 at every Supercharger I’ve used anywhere in Texas. I think I that’s pretty cheap and I end up spending 1/3 or so as much as I would on gas.
I used $3.15/gal and 25 miles/gal for the calculation versus what I spent at the superchargers which was never below $0.31/kWh when recharging and as high as $0.35/kWh (most of the time) between Lubbock, Fredericksburg, and Dallas. I wish I would have spent only ~1/3. By the way just went 3 cents to $0.34/kWh in CO around my house.

Not quite right. The newer cars indeed read the signs. At times it can be obvious and not debatable.
How much they read signs is debatable and has varied with different releases.

And your response is interesting, as there's other threads talking about how it ONLY reads signs.
Correct. Passing by the signs in Texas, the cameras were not seeing them most of the time. When they saw them, the speed was read correctly. In CO they didn't miss one.