Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Korean CCS Combo 1 Adapter state-side and tested it with our 2022 Model Y and an EA charger this morning...

Good afternoon, Mr. "Darknavi." Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to take your new South Korean CCS1 adapter to a nearby Supercharger location. Once there, cautiously determine if it will safely fit in the charging ports of "Classic" and "Refreshed Models S or X, and report back to us here.

As always, should you you or any members of your family be caught or over-charged by a Tesla Service Center, we will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This post will self-destruct in five seconds...

Mission Impossible

Good afternoon, Mr. "Darknavi." Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to take your new South Korean CCS1 adapter to a nearby Supercharger location. Once there, cautiously determine if it will safely fit in the charging ports of "Classic" and "Refreshed Models S or X, and report back to us here.

As always, should you you or any members of your family be caught or over-charged by a Tesla Service Center, we will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This post will self-destruct in five seconds...

I'll bite - will contact @darknavi privately.

As an aside, if the top pin didn't fix I think you could just remove it. It seems to be a simple locking pin to help lock the CCS handle to the adapter so people can't unplug you.
I'm pretty sure it would not work if you removed it. That pin is the very reason why Tesla had been fighting against some of the third party adapters that don't have that. That pin being pushed in is some form of detection that it is plugged into a car and so is safe to have current flowing. If that pin is cut off and therefore not pushed into the device, that should be signaling that it is not plugged in anymore, and it should cut power, so there's not an arc.

So just cutting off or removing it I don't think would work, but people could probably fudge it the other way--push the pin in and then glue it into that position, so it's always pressed in. That's what you're looking for, but please don't.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! /farnsworth

Just tested it on my buddy's 2018 P100D Model S and it fits (just barely!). Note the pin (sorry for the glare) at the top just barely clearing the painted surface...

Whoa! Excellent! My sense of proportion was totally off based on the photos of the adapter I had previously seen.

So as others said, the next step is to determine whether it will actually work with Models S and X, "Classic"* and "Refreshed." I don't see why it shouldn't, as long as a car is CCS enabled.
_____
* Feels like I'm talking about Coca Cola, here.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it would not work if you removed it. That pin is the very reason why Tesla had been fighting against some of the third party adapters that don't have that. That pin being pushed in is some form of detection that it is plugged into a car and so is safe to have current flowing. If that pin is cut off and therefore not pushed into the device, that should be signaling that it is not plugged in anymore, and it should cut power, so there's not an arc.

So just cutting off or removing it I don't think would work, but people could probably fudge it the other way--push the pin in and then glue it into that position, so it's always pressed in. That's what you're looking for, but please don't.
I thought the pin just triggered a mechanical lock of the CCS plug onto the adapter so it cannot be removed while the adapter is inserted into the car.

I have not seen the adapter in person yet.

Reactions: jsight
I thought the pin just triggered a mechanical lock of the CCS plug onto the adapter so it cannot be removed while the adapter is inserted into the car.

I have not seen the adapter in person yet.
When the pin presses against the side of the car, it locks the adapter to the CCS connector. It therefore (1) enforces that you must connect the adapter to the connector first, then to the car second, and (2) prevents removal of the connector while the adapter is attached to the car. The EVHub adapter does not enforce this safety mechanism which is apparently the reason why CCS doesn't allow "adapters" -- when the adapter locks the connector to itself when the adapter is attached to the car, the adapter is considered part of the car.

Problem with this site is charging is the same for all Teslas. Would be nice if there was a charging section. There are dozens of posts all over every section of this forum about the adapter. I ordered one yesterday, took only a few minutes. Here is a link to the thread which explains how to order. CCS Adapter - ?

Here is a link where to order one. Get your Tesla's CCS1 Adapter From Korea!

I have a 2022 model S with the small charge port door. The screen does say it is CCS compatible by the way which I believe all yoke style models are from the factory.

Last edited:
I just ordered one from the link I provided above (using the Delivered proxy service mentioned by some else here). I had to login to my Tesla account to place the order but it didn't ask for a VIN. Hoping I got the proxy's address right—not understanding any Korean, I had to rely a lot on Google Translate to navigate the checkout process.
Mind posting (or DMing me) the direct Tesla link again? I’m just seeing the proxy service link… I’ve got a friend with a Korea address so I think I should be able to log in and purchase it to have shipped to him…

Reactions: kayak1
Problem with this site is charging is the same for all Teslas. Would be nice if there was a charging section. There are dozens of posts all over every section of this forum about the adapter. I ordered one yesterday, took only a few minutes. Here is a link to the thread which explains how to order. CCS Adapter - ?

Here is a link where to order one. Get your Tesla's CCS1 Adapter From Korea!

I have a 2022 model S with the small charge port door. The screen does say it is CCS compatible by the way which I believe all yoke style models are from the factory.
You can get it a little cheaper by buying it your self and sending it to a cheaper dropshipper.

Reactions: gglockner