Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash incident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 M3, LR..original owner. I have taken my car through the same automatic carwash many times. I prefer to put the car in neutral myself, along with turning off the wipers and folding the mirrors. It works for me, I don't use CW mode. A few months ago I was in said car wash. Towards the end, (no cars remaining in front of me), I felt the drive roller go under the front wheel. The car was now stationary. The wash stopped for a few minutes, restarted and I finished the wash and exited. The attendant asked me "what did you do". My answer at the time was nothing, it's the same answer I have now. The attendant told me he thought it was because the car in front of me exited early. I didn't touch the brake pedal, open the door, take off my seatbelt or put the car in park.

Recently I received an aggressive letter from our provincial insurer demanding to know why I hadn't filed a claim. I called, apparently there was a multi car collision, involving me and the three cars behind me. I felt no impact, and there was no damage to the rear bumper of my car. Fast forward to now, the claim has been settled, (only one car filed, the last in the 4 car chain), and I am deemed to be at fault. Apparently there is video from the car wash showing my car with brake lights on and stationary.

In an amazing coincidence, I had coffee with a friend who was in the same carwash behind a MY, same thing, MY stopped, my friend contacted the MY. He never got a chance to speak to the MY driver, but he's filed a claim. Speaking to the adjuster, it's evident that this is a fairly frequent occurrence in automatic car washes.

So, my question is, what if anything, other than driver error, may have caused this? All I can come up with is the car behind me made contact, which activated the ebrake, causing brake light activation. I would not have felt it due to the noise, the brushes etc. It would have been a light tap anyway, there is no visible damage. Complicating it is the fact that the other two cars involved have not made claims. I obtained the cars data from Tesla, nothing shows on that date. Tesla cam footage has long been overwritten. (we've tried restoring the overwritten footage, but it's too far back). My already very expensive insurance will take a hit, since I'll lose my safe driver discount. I'll also be speaking to a lawyer this week. Something does not add up. Would free roll in CW mode have prevented this? Anyone any thoughts?
Many thanks in advance!

Seems very odd for you to get blamed if there was no damage to your car. Even if you stopped others could have stopped before hitting your or other cars.

The only thing I can think of it that something took it out of neutral or turned on AEB because it thought something was in front of the car.

Oh, did you by chance move around the interior? Like lift your weight off the drivers seat? I remember it does not like you doing that when it thinks you should be solidly in the drivers seat.
I remember that was the problem with going neutral in the cash wash with a Tesla. That's why they came out with car wash mode. Take off seat belt, shifting weight, etc... It is possible that OP shifted weight causing the brake light to go on for a second and went off, so it looks like the car applied brake.

Oh, did you by chance move around the interior? Like lift your weight off the drivers seat? I remember it does not like you doing that when it thinks you should be solidly in the drivers seat.
This was my immediate thought - if you shift your weight such that the car thinks nobody is in the drivers seat, however briefly, it throws the car into park.

You didn't use car wash mode. So without car wash mode on the car can put itself in park or push the brakes.

Model 3 automatically shifts into Park whenever you connect a charge cable or if two or more of the following conditions are met simultaneously while traveling slower than approximately 2 km/h:

The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
The occupancy sensor in the driver's seat does not detect an occupant.
The driver's door is opened.

Thanks for the replies. The 'weight shift' makes the most sense, I may have leaned over to grab something, didn't remove seatbelt. No touchless wash available in my area, this has been the most convenient for me for the last 20 odd years. It's a working car, it gets dirty, I take a wash when I can get one. Lesson learned though, it'll be hand washes from now on.

Not sure why anyone wouldn’t use a touch-less car wash. Never used a normal car wash in 15 years …
Not sure why anyone wouldn't wash their car themselves. I haven't used a car wash in 15yrs.

I do a better job than any car wash ever could.

Half of this is in jest because different people have different standards. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with car washes, but my preference is hand washing (and my own hands). Others have different preferences and that's cool, too

Lesson learned though, it'll be hand washes from now on.

Maybe the takeaway should be, if it’s a working car and you’re already comfortable with the brushes, keep going but get in the habit of using CW mode and free roll.

I did hand washing (waterless) for the first 4 years because I couldn’t find a touchless in my area (turns out there was one at a nearby gas station but not according to the internet). In that time, I never really got the underbody cleaned as much as a car wash could’ve so I think that’s why corrosion is now visible in the vicinity of my recently replaced control arms.

Reactions: rpiotro
Does Car Wash Enable Free Roll mode still require you to step on the brake when engaging Drive with the latest software? I'm still on 2022.12.3.2 and the last time I used CW, when exiting an automatic car wash I had to hit the brake and quickly shift into Drive at the end of the wash. It caused a slight concern on the face of the attendant like I wasn't supposed to do that (hit the brake). In an ICE with an automatic or manual transmission, it's easy to shift from Neutral to a forward gear without needing to tap the brake.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Never used it in an auto car wash but tested it once and seem to recall I just had to tap the screen. Don’t know which version that was.

Even if that isn’t the case, most auto washes I’ve used in the past had clear areas at the end where you could coast a bit away then have space to stop before putting it in gear without troubling those behind.

Question- do you use Easy Entry? If so, when your car went in park, it's should have been very noticeable if it shifted to park.

Also, on a side note, prior to maybe 6 months ago, I could move my car in and out of my garage without my seatbelt on (door shut and sitting in the seat). Now, I can't do that. Once the car moves a few feet, it always shifts into park. I suspect that the seat sensor is bad maybe? What I'm getting at is if your car does that same as mine, you car may have shifted into park without you even moving much. Just a thought.

Does Car Wash Enable Free Roll mode still require you to step on the brake when engaging Drive with the latest software? I'm still on 2022.12.3.2 and the last time I used CW, when exiting an automatic car wash I had to hit the brake and quickly shift into Drive at the end of the wash. It caused a slight concern on the face of the attendant like I wasn't supposed to do that (hit the brake). In an ICE with an automatic or manual transmission, it's easy to shift from Neutral to a forward gear without needing to tap the brake.

Just tested in my garage. Have to step on brake to enter free roll but can exit it without even while the car is moving.

Just tested in my garage. Have to step on brake to enter free roll but can exit it without even while the car is moving.

By shifting into Drive using the stalk or hitting the Exit button? I tried Car Wash mode in a parking lot the other day and couldn't enter Drive either way without touching the brake. I still had to hit the brake when using the shifter and pressing the Exit button merely unfolded the mirrors. I guess I'll have to play with it some more or consider finally upgrading to the newest software.

2019 M3, LR..original owner. I have taken my car through the same automatic carwash many times. I prefer to put the car in neutral myself, along with turning off the wipers and folding the mirrors. It works for me, I don't use CW mode. A few months ago I was in said car wash. Towards the end, (no cars remaining in front of me), I felt the drive roller go under the front wheel. The car was now stationary. The wash stopped for a few minutes, restarted and I finished the wash and exited. The attendant asked me "what did you do". My answer at the time was nothing, it's the same answer I have now. The attendant told me he thought it was because the car in front of me exited early. I didn't touch the brake pedal, open the door, take off my seatbelt or put the car in park.

Recently I received an aggressive letter from our provincial insurer demanding to know why I hadn't filed a claim. I called, apparently there was a multi car collision, involving me and the three cars behind me. I felt no impact, and there was no damage to the rear bumper of my car. Fast forward to now, the claim has been settled, (only one car filed, the last in the 4 car chain), and I am deemed to be at fault. Apparently there is video from the car wash showing my car with brake lights on and stationary.

In an amazing coincidence, I had coffee with a friend who was in the same carwash behind a MY, same thing, MY stopped, my friend contacted the MY. He never got a chance to speak to the MY driver, but he's filed a claim. Speaking to the adjuster, it's evident that this is a fairly frequent occurrence in automatic car washes.

So, my question is, what if anything, other than driver error, may have caused this? All I can come up with is the car behind me made contact, which activated the ebrake, causing brake light activation. I would not have felt it due to the noise, the brushes etc. It would have been a light tap anyway, there is no visible damage. Complicating it is the fact that the other two cars involved have not made claims. I obtained the cars data from Tesla, nothing shows on that date. Tesla cam footage has long been overwritten. (we've tried restoring the overwritten footage, but it's too far back). My already very expensive insurance will take a hit, since I'll lose my safe driver discount. I'll also be speaking to a lawyer this week. Something does not add up. Would free roll in CW mode have prevented this? Anyone any thoughts?
Many thanks in advance!
Request a copy of the footage from ICBC

I fail to see how they can attribute 100% blame to you without hearing your side - I know ICBC can be a bit wonky, but this is plain silly

Thanks for the replies. The 'weight shift' makes the most sense, I may have leaned over to grab something, didn't remove seatbelt.
Shifting your weight with the seat belt on shouldn't cause a problem.

I wonder if the dryer blowing on the charge port might cause it to open and trigger the brakes or shifting the car into park. (Part of why car wash mode disables the charge port door.)