Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash incident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Request a copy of the footage from ICBC

I fail to see how they can attribute 100% blame to you without hearing your side - I know ICBC can be a bit wonky, but this is plain silly
I'm waiting for a decision letter from ICBC. At that point, I'll go the through the appeal process, and ask for the footage. Adjustor took my statement over the phone, at the end of the conversation told me I would be at fault. Even if the car or the car wash acted independently of the driver, (think about that for a minute), as I was 'in control of the car at the time', it's my problem, or at least the insured car's problem, so mine again, as the owner of the company that owns the car. ICBC hasn't taken the time to consider the passive safety features built into newer vehicles that can override the drivers inputs. I don't expect to have the decision overturned. I will get a legal opinion, based on the information that these incidents are not rare.

Shifting your weight with the seat belt on shouldn't cause a problem.

I wonder if the dryer blowing on the charge port might cause it to open and trigger the brakes or shifting the car into park. (Part of why car wash mode disables the charge port door.)
Got no alert saying the car was put in park, like if you stopped and opened the door without engaging park. Charge port was not open. Something engaged the brakes. Impact from behind that I didn't notice?

Question- do you use Easy Entry? If so, when your car went in park, it's should have been very noticeable if it shifted to park.

Also, on a side note, prior to maybe 6 months ago, I could move my car in and out of my garage without my seatbelt on (door shut and sitting in the seat). Now, I can't do that. Once the car moves a few feet, it always shifts into park. I suspect that the seat sensor is bad maybe? What I'm getting at is if your car does that same as mine, you car may have shifted into park without you even moving much. Just a thought.
I do use easy entry. I've moved my car into the garage from the street w/o seatbelt, no shifting into park. Just had a the passenger passive safety restraint sensor replaced though. Only knew about it from the alert.

By shifting into Drive using the stalk or hitting the Exit button? I tried Car Wash mode in a parking lot the other day and couldn't enter Drive either way without touching the brake. I still had to hit the brake when using the shifter and pressing the Exit button merely unfolded the mirrors. I guess I'll have to play with it some more or consider finally upgrading to the newest software.

I was in drive when I entered CW mode and, even though pressing the brake is necessary to activate free roll, it stays in drive throughout. Just tap exit free roll when ready to drive again and no brake necessary. Exiting CW mode can also be done without any further pedal involvement.

Question- do you use Easy Entry? If so, when your car went in park, it's should have been very noticeable if it shifted to park.

Also, on a side note, prior to maybe 6 months ago, I could move my car in and out of my garage without my seatbelt on (door shut and sitting in the seat). Now, I can't do that. Once the car moves a few feet, it always shifts into park. I suspect that the seat sensor is bad maybe? What I'm getting at is if your car does that same as mine, you car may have shifted into park without you even moving much. Just a thought.

The weight sensor in my seat went bad a few months ago. This is what happens. You will also notice when you get in the car the screen is off until you hit the brake.

What do you mean “False”?

My statement was based on empirical evidence from an experiment I ran 20 minutes before posting. I even said which firmware version (in the first post about that test). Granted, this was a sample size of 1 both because it was just tested on my model 3 and because I only tested it once but that certainly doesn’t make my statement false.

What do you mean “False”?

My statement was based on empirical evidence from an experiment I ran 20 minutes before posting. I even said which firmware version.
SW version 2023.26.7
Enter Car Wash Mode
Enable Free Roll
At end of wash, push Exit Car Wash Mode, if you press down accelerator, no Drive.
If you push down stalk, no drive.
If you put on brake and push down stalk, then drive is enabled.
Sorry if I was short with you but I almost got rear ended in an automatic car wash by the car behind me at the end of the wash because I was scrambling to put the car in drive at the end. My knee jerk reaction didn’t even fathom putting my foot on the brake to shift to drive. It just wasn’t logical.
See Tesla Owners Manual picture attached. Tesla doesn’t tell you what to do at the end of the wash😳

Attachments

• IMG_2491.jpeg
    IMG_2491.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
SW version 2023.26.7
Enter Car Wash Mode
Enable Free Roll
At end of wash, push Exit Car Wash Mode, if you press down accelerator, no Drive.
Sorry if I was short with you but I almost got rear ended in an automatic car wash by the car behind me at the end of the wash because I was scrambling to put the car in drive at the end. My knee jerk reaction didn’t even fathom putting my foot on the brake to shift to drive. It just wasn’t logical.
See Tesla Owners Manual picture attached. Tesla doesn’t tell you what to do at the end of the wash😳

Thanks for clarifying and no worries (just wanted to understand).

Could be that it’s behaving differently with the two versions or it could be that we’re using different sequences.

Have you tried it in a less stressful environment and/or did you try just exiting free roll first while staying in CW mode until clear of the area? I exited free roll first then, while driving, exited CW mode.

Also, I see that they say you can enter free roll by putting it in neutral but I kept it in drive and simply pressed free roll on the screen (with brake applied to engage). Didn’t notice if the gear changed on the screen but, when I exited free roll, it definitely went back in drive. Did you use the on screen button or the stalk to neutral method?

It wouldn’t surprise me if the different forks were behaving differently. Tesla often breaks features while updating others because nobody is running a checklist on existing functionality before pushing versions (e.g., the 3 months a few years ago when we could actually tune FM radio via voice commands before it was gone and they claimed it was never intended - so much for safety).

SW version 2023.26.7
Enter Car Wash Mode
Enable Free Roll
Thanks for clarifying and no worries (just wanted to understand).

Could be that it’s behaving differently with the two versions or it could be that we’re using different sequences.

Have you tried it in a less stressful environment and/or did you try just exiting free roll first while staying in CW mode until clear of the area? I exited free roll first then, while driving, exited CW mode.

Also, I see that they say you can enter free roll by putting it in neutral but I kept it in drive and simply pressed free roll on the screen (with brake applied to engage). Didn’t notice if the gear changed on the screen but, when I exited free roll, it definitely went back in drive. Did you use the on screen button or the stalk to neutral method?

It wouldn’t surprise me if the different forks were behaving differently. Tesla often breaks features while updating others because nobody is running a checklist on existing functionality before pushing versions (e.g., the 3 months a few years ago when we could actually tune FM radio via voice commands before it was gone and they claimed it was never intended - so much for safety).
I’m going to try various sequences tomorrow to see if I can get anything to put the car in Drive without the brake applied. Your reply gave me food for thought, and actions. Thank you.

I’m going to try various sequences tomorrow to see if I can get anything to put the car in Drive without the brake applied. Your reply gave me food for thought, and actions. Thank you.
So am I. I'm on old software (2022.12.3.2) so it won't be a direct comparison but it will be a good data point in seeing if anything changed with Car Wash mode over the last year plus.

So I tried out Car Wash mode today on the street in front of my house. Bottom line: there's no way I found to exit Car Wash mode (with Free Roll enabled) and get into Drive without first stepping on the brake. Like I said earlier I'm on 2022.12.3.2 so I'd like to know if this is true with a later release. Getting into Car Wash mode is no problem. It's when you're at the end of an automatic car wash and you need to put the car into Drive and to drive off the conveyor.
  • While Car Wash mode with Free Roll enabled is in effect, the car is in Neutral ; unsure at this time if brake lights are ever activated in this mode.
  • Pressing the accelerator had no effect (Neutral is maintained - doesn't put the car in Drive or Park).
  • Removing my butt from the seat had no effect.
  • Opening the driver's door had no effect.
  • This means that the OP should not have caused the car to brake by moving around in the driver's seat. This is the stated mode of Car Wash.
  • Pressing down on the stalk to shift into Drive only results in a warning message saying I need to step on the brake.
  • Pressing the Exit button still leaves the car in Neutral.
  • Again, pressing the accelerator has no effect and moving the stalk down gives the warning message.
  • That means the normal requirement to shift gears by pressing the brake applies.

I think car wash mode without enabling free roll is also meant for doing a hand wash in your driveway so exiting the vehicle and weight in driver seat doesn’t do anything special. For example you don’t want the charge port door opening during a hand wash.

It still would be interesting to repeat the driver seat weight experiment while shifting into neutral to see if it could have caused OP’s incident.

In a strange twist, I just ran the experiment again and, with no change in firmware, I’m now experiencing the same sequence as others.

The gear definitely changes to neutral and the alert beeps when I try to switch to drive without stepping on the brake when trying to exit free roll. To be clear, it lets me exit free roll or CW mode without tapping brake but, as reported by others, won’t let me change gears.

Don’t know why things are different this time but have to presume the original result was a fluke.

You didn't use car wash mode. So without car wash mode on the car can put itself in park or push the brakes.

Model 3 automatically shifts into Park whenever you connect a charge cable or if two or more of the following conditions are met simultaneously while traveling slower than approximately 2 km/h:

The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
The occupancy sensor in the driver's seat does not detect an occupant.
The driver's door is opened.
Anyway to turn this off I usually take my seatbelt off when I park and back in and car just slams into park.

Also can’t drive around without a seatbelt even in your own driveway really ****ing annoying