Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want the real, not so rosy picture of what the Mach E ramp has been like go over here:

If Tesla's had this many issues they'd literally be in the headlines every day for one faulty car instead of the 100's-1000's of Mach-E's. This is the proof that Ford's Ad Spend covers their ass frequently when they're struggling to ramp up production and consistently build the perfect cars they're apparently printing left and right. Ask yourself why none of the news is ever negative for Ford right now....
I swear it seems like every other day or couple days there is a new error that's popping up over there. Now, a few people are having second thoughts about their orders. If I saw half of what is listed there while lurking, I'd cancel without hesitation. We have issues here too, but this is a huge forum by comparison and there are a zillion Teslas out there.

It's funny how C&D just did a 1000 mile race and guess who took the 3 top spots? This is the same publication that crowned the Mach-e, EV of the year.

www.caranddriver.com/features/a36877585/ev-1000-11-electric-cars-long-distance-race/

They were also driving the Performance 3 and Y. The LR trims would have done even better.

1DA96DBC-6D63-4805-B312-810ADADF4BF3.jpeg
DB53E4AD-CF5D-44B0-A0D0-E46D71A73AC5.jpeg

If you want the real, not so rosy picture of what the Mach E ramp has been like go over here:

If Tesla's had this many issues they'd literally be in the headlines every day for one faulty car instead of the 100's-1000's of Mach-E's. This is the proof that Ford's Ad Spend covers their ass frequently when they're struggling to ramp up production and consistently build the perfect cars they're apparently printing left and right. Ask yourself why none of the news is ever negative for Ford right now....
I spent a little time reading some of the threads. It was eye opening and very different from this forum. People seem very patient considering the number of issues they are having. If this was a new Tesla you are 100% right, it would be on every financial show predicting the end of Tesla.

Last edited:
I swear it seems like every other day or couple days there is a new error that's popping up over there. Now, a few people are having second thoughts about their orders. If I saw half of what is listed there while lurking, I'd cancel without hesitation. We have issues here too, but this is a huge forum by comparison and there are a zillion Teslas out there.

It's funny how C&D just did a 1000 mile race and guess who took the 3 top spots? This is the same publication that crowned the Mach-e, EV of the year.

www.caranddriver.com/features/a36877585/ev-1000-11-electric-cars-long-distance-race/

They were also driving the Performance 3 and Y. The LR trims would have done even better.
Wow, that's a lot of pages of issues, particularly this early after its release when they're trying to carve a new niche. Honestly, I hope the Mach-E does well as it'll help expand overall EV development and adoption, but that's pretty concerning.

Reactions: house9 and Iain
I just did a brief survey of ONE page out of 18 pages of the "Issues" subforum of the MachEForum.
There are 16 various issues, almost all require a dealership visit. Most are Mechanical/Software Control issues

MORE than 90!!! unique forum users have experienced or are experiencing one of the issues.
According to the forum, there about 2160 users registered. So, the problem rate for the Mach-E is more than 4.2% based on just ONE forum page!

Where is the press?

I spent a little time reading some of the threads. It was eye opening and very different from this forum. People seem very patient considering the number of issues they are having. If this was a new Tesla you are 100% right, it would be on every financial show predicting the end of Tesla.
I think if you were a Ford owner you might be kind of used to it. Ford screwed up quite a few of their recent launches and the media have been relatively kind to them (after reading a few comments here, perhaps for other reasons behind the scenes).

Last edited:
I don’t think the model 3 had that many issues when first released. It will take time for Ford to catch up to Model Y. By then China will likely purchase Ford like Volvo 😂.

if not for the internet, people would believe C and D propaganda machine. Even then there are people still dumb enough to buy another Ford.
Funny a good friend got a Ford Focus RS...nothing but problems. Hated the dealer, yet he traded it in and bought a Ford Raptor and got his wife a Ford Explorer......and he still complains about all the problems and dealer experience.

He did order a Cybertruck, so maybe that will cure him of his Ford disease

Funny a good friend got a Ford Focus RS...nothing but problems. Hated the dealer, yet he traded it in and bought a Ford Raptor and got his wife a Ford Explorer......and he still complains about all the problems and dealer experience.

He did order a Cybertruck, so maybe that will cure him of his Ford disease
Ford service is the worst of any brand I ever owned. Every time I went they were completely clueless and apathetic. The one exception is Ford’s SVT phone line was good but they shut that down while I was an owner. I know everyone gives Tesla service a hard time, but all things considered they are quite a bit better than everyone else I have used. That said, I have had more service events with Tesla than other brand, but they resolved each issue and gave a loaner.

Ford service is the worst of any brand I ever owned. Every time I went they were completely clueless and apathetic.
I forgot to mention, the funny thing is after lousy service they would spend 15-20 minutes trying to strong arm you into voting top score on their survey. I made the mistake once about being honest I wasn't going to do that, and then they bring out the service manager who skips over the part of them ignoring you and not fixing anything to try to wear you down with a free car wash. I was like “uh that was supposed to be an SVT perk you guys didn't do...”

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
Wow, that's a lot of pages of issues, particularly this early after its release when they're trying to carve a new niche. Honestly, I hope the Mach-E does well as it'll help expand overall EV development and adoption, but that's pretty concerning.
The thing I think people forget about is that EVs are very software centric, and if there is one thing non Tesla brands have excelled at, it's their inability to produce working software. Not only is it usually incomplete garbage that looks cobbled together from 10 different team's that don't talk to each other, they don't maintain it either. On my Toyota the only update they did was year 3 to remove stuff. Thanks Toyota!

Reactions: El joe

From the article:

Climbing the energy-sapping hills surrounding Pittsburgh, the Ford began projecting its own range anxiety onto the occupants. First, the car told the driver to find a different, closer charging station. Then it warned that the car wouldn't make it to any public charging station, and the pop-up message advised the driver to find any available outlet to plug into. Finally, the computer gave in to despair and told the driver to pull over.

‘The driver (the author of this tale) kept his foot in it—at least enough to hold 50 mph on a 55-mph highway—and arrived at the Electrify America station with the instrument cluster showing zero range and no battery charge. For the drivers, the moment of relief was soon eclipsed by the disappointing realization that, having squandered nearly two hours, they had also lost any chance of beating a Tesla.’

‘Teslas are generally immune to such nonsense. While Superchargers could be finicky in their early days, the current equipment is more dependable than a gas-pump credit-card reader. The network is also dense. The Model S once passed four Supercharger stations before stopping. It arrived back at the office after 16 hours and 14 minutes of driving and charging. Google Maps says this trip is just 50 minutes shorter without a single stop.’

So again for long distance travel (which range/ease of charging seemed pretty important to ICE drivers just 4 years ago) the question here are more consistent panel tolerances, slightly better steering feel and ride worth it?

I’m not sure it is for some drivers.

• Informative
Reactions: El joe
Ford service is the worst of any brand I ever owned. Every time I went they were completely clueless and apathetic. The one exception is Ford’s SVT phone line was good but they shut that down while I was an owner. I know everyone gives Tesla service a hard time, but all things considered they are quite a bit better than everyone else I have used. That said, I have had more service events with Tesla than other brand, but they resolved each issue and gave a loaner.
There’s an argument on the Mach E forum being better because they can just take it to the dealer.

Owning an EV requires very little servicing, maintenance or any reason to go to the stealership. It’s such a hard concept to grasp you can tell the retiree wanting a cool tech car while conservatively buying a Ford because of the heritage. https://www.ford.mx/blog/innovacion/mach-e-ensamblado-mujeres-mexico-sep2020/

There’s an argument on the Mach E forum being better because they can just take it to the dealer.

Owning an EV requires very little servicing, maintenance or any reason to go to the stealership. It’s such a hard concept to grasp you can tell the retiree wanting a cool tech car while conservatively buying a Ford because of the heritage. https://www.ford.mx/blog/innovacion/mach-e-ensamblado-mujeres-mexico-sep2020/

Two plus years into ownership of a model 3. Service has come to my house twice. Once to upgrade the FSD computer and once to replace the cabin filters.

Actual going to the dealer would be such a waste of time

if there is one thing non Tesla brands have excelled at, it's their inability to produce working software.
That's very funny, and true. I got a Tesla Y this year after strongly considering the Mach-e -- the Tesla won out because the Mach-e lacks a heat pump and my cloying gut feeling that it was too new and there would be too many problems. And I got past my anti-Elon feelings.

Reactions: Big Earl and alexgr
Actual going to the dealer would be such a waste of time
The dealership monopoly is falling apart and unfortunately jobs too.The industry is changing too rapidly for Ford to catch up. The Mach E is do or die for Ford that’s why they would sacrifice the Mustang name. They did try to adapt the Mustang during the oil crisis and that was not impressive and they are at it again in the present. When Cybertruck comes out, Ford is done unless more bailout money.