Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Mustang Mach E Needs a Rethink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a Ford Mustang Mach E in June 2022. 6 months later, trading it in for a MYLR.

Looking back, this car needs to be rethought. Ford's custom configuration / dealer purchasing model creates huge disadvantages for buyers, the features / pricing isn't well thought out, the charging situation is patchwork at best, and the software is inferior to a linked cell phone. It strikes me as first generation technology that would benefit from substantial innovation.

For those considering buying one, educate yourself thoroughly before proceeding. There are many pitfalls along the way.

Purchasing Process - Never Buy from a Dealer

Let's dispel the myth the MME is a "hot" car. Scarcity on dealer lots results from the delivery process. This perception is used against buyers to justify additional dealer markups.

Typically, people reserve a Mach E and receive it 6 - 12 months later. Dealers get these cars when buyers refuse delivery on a reservation.

The trouble with this model is reservation fees are fully refundable. It costs nothing for a buyer to refuse delivery, which creates a situation where dealers are mostly stocking base configurations or maxed out feature packages no one actually wants. When I was buying, it was almost impossible to get a mid-range configuration package (called a Premium,) while Selects and top of the line GTs were abundant.

You start to see the problem when you consider someone buying from a dealer probably hasn't done any research on the full line. In my situation, my old car died and I had about a week to make a decision. I test drove an MME Premium on a Saturday and left without buying. Checked in the next day, the car I drove was already sold but the salesman said there would be another later in the week. He would not be able to hold it, but told me exactly when to be there to make sure I was first in line. Arrived at the dealership, after a brief inspection I moved forward with the purchase.

In retrospect, this was a mistake. The car I test drove was a Premium, the car I bought was a Select. In terms of differences, there was no 360 degree camera, no power lift gates, no heated seats, no front-facing camera, and more. My fault for not thinking this through, but I really wasn't aware of the differences between a Select and a Premium at the time. The lack of those features was consequential. Ford has an autopilot clone called BlueCruise, the lack of a front-facing camera means the car can never take advantage of this feature (incidentally, Ford advertised BlueCruise as a standard feature on all MMEs.) The hardware can't be upgraded.

The price was above MSRP. Had I reserved it, the price would have been $46k. With dealer add ons and optional service packages, the total price was $52k before delivery, taxes, title, and fees. While some of this could be chalked up to urgency, I spent about $6k more than I needed by going through a dealer. Had I custom ordered, the additional features in the Premium would have cost less than the difference.

Never buy an MME from a dealer. If you are forced to, educate yourself on the line beforehand. The Select is a technological dead end.

The MME was Subject to Recall

The day before I purchased the MME, Ford recalled it. While selling a new car subject to recall is illegal, they did it anyway.

I got a call 3 days after purchase telling me the car can brick when I charge it. Don't charge it and bring it back to the dealer until it can be fixed. They had no timeframe for a fix.

As it turned out, the fix took a week. I did receive a loaner during that time so it wasn't a complete inconvenience. But it was unsettling, buying a car and not being able to enjoy it for a week.

The Battery and the Patchwork of Chargers

Ford marketing gives you the impression the range is fine and you're well supported by a nationwide network of fast chargers. That's misleading.

The standard range battery for an MME is rated at 220 miles. The extended range for an MME is rated at 270 miles.

My experience was range did not translate well into miles travelled, my guess is it was about 10% lower on average in the summer. In the winter, the standard range battery drops to 160 miles, lower on really cold days. There were days this winter I was getting 1 mile per percent of range. Creates a massive amount of anxiety getting into your car and wondering what the numbers are going to look like today.

The charging network is a patchwork between Electrify America, Chargepoint, EvGo and a few others. You can find them in any dense urban environment, but they are few and far between as you get away from the coast. Ford offers a navigation app, superficially similar to Tesla's. It will list the closest chargers to your location, even if they are beyond the maximum range of your car. We relied instead on a mobile app called ABRP when we were away from home, which had a more complete list that includes chargers not in the network.

The time to charge is an issue. The maximum charge rate for the MME is 70kw. Even if you are on one that goes 300kw, the best you will ever do is 70kw. But I don't believe I ever saw the full 70kw, typically I was charging at around 40kw max.

Can't overstate how complicated the charger situation made road trips.

Travelling in rural PA, there were no chargers in the network anywhere near us. One morning, I had to get up at 2 while the family slept to charge on a level 2 charger behind a car dealership. It was the only one for 50 miles, and it took 15% off the battery getting there and back. On a trip to West Virginia, we found ourselves in a charging desert, again with no chargers for 50 miles from our cabin. To ensure we would not run out of juice, we just parked and didn't use the car. Anything beyond a few miles walking was out of reach for us.

For both trips, even when we found fast chargers, The amount of time spent at chargers dragged things out. In one case, a 4 hour drive turned into an 8 hour drive. My wife frequently asked what the point of a road trip was in this car.

Ford's Inadequate Technology

Ford overpromises with the technology. It's present, but we found it to be lacking.

The MME comes with dongles for different drivers to offer some personalization features. It has an interior camera which (I believe) does facial recognition. It also has an app that allows remote start and recognizes when you are present to automatically unlock the doors.

This never worked for us. Despite the fact we created individual profiles tied to each dongle / cell phone, the MME only ever recognized my wife as the driver. If I wanted personalized settings, I had to manually select them from the tablet. We devoted a fair amount of time to this feature before deciding it was unimportant because the only thing you can really personalize is drive modes. It's easier to just select a different one when you get in the car.

The MME comes with a number of apps. Most of them proved inferior to their counterparts on our cell phones.

The navigation app is the big one, it's supposed to give you directions and guide you to chargers. The directions suffer from the lack of real time information on traffic. The shortest route is often the most heavily trafficked, but also the maps did not reflect new development and road closures. The first time I tried using it, I was sent to a road that had been blocked off for construction for months. The charger listings are overwhelming. You either get a list of their in-network charging partners - who are often no where near you - or you get to sort through a list of every level 1 and level 2 charger by distance. This is probably the area with the most room for improvement in the whole car.

The energy app is the only one that doesn't replicate something from our phones. It breaks down how much power is being consumed by different activities. We found we didn't have much of a use for it, primarily because the range was so short. We were more interested in finding the next charger than optimizing our battery usage.

The voice command system is very basic and needs some improvements. First off, there are some commands it would suggest, like changing the volume, but not recognize. But the big issue was when the voice command entry would be triggered by someone speaking on a podcast. This happened frequently enough to be a problem, someone would say something and the screen would switch off the maps to a full screen voice command interface. To clear it, I would need to interact with the screen. When the podcast would start up, it would rewind a few seconds and repeat the process.

As I mentioned, BlueCruise is Ford's autopilot equivalent. There's no way to use it on a Select because you don't have the front-facing cameras. What you do get is Enhanced Cruise Control, which gives you lane assist and automatic breaking. This was not bad and the feature I used most often.

I could go on, but basically: we rarely used the voice commands and the only apps we really used were on our phones. Other than the enhanced cruise control, this car didn't do much for us from a technology standpoint.

2021_Ford_Mustang_Mach-E_EXT_Range_AWD.jpg

"2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EXT Range AWD" by Calreyn88 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog feed thumbnail.

I have my doubts that oil will be subsidized. In fact, I expect it will be taxed heavily. As to mil spending the issues at hand are now Taiwan and Europe so not sure we see a change but certainly there will be less interest in the middle east, It's about damn time.

I think they meant cross-subsidized by the other, more valuable, fractions. That's what happened in the run-up in oil prices in 2006-2007 when US refiners were selling gasoline at a loss.

It would take a substantial shift, plus a time lag before there would be a practical negative impact on drivers of gasoline vehicles.

Reactions: vickh
I think they meant cross-subsidized by the other, more valuable, fractions. That's what happened in the run-up in oil prices in 2006-2007 when US refiners were selling gasoline at a loss.

It would take a substantial shift, plus a time lag before there would be a practical negative impact on drivers of gasoline vehicles.

Yep, downstream+upstream costs matter for all oil products

I love BlueCruise. I drove hands free 90% of the way from Orlando to Miami and back. It's better than sliced bread. I've done the same trip before with Autopilot and it was a mess - disengaging all the time.

Model Y is a solid overall EV but I would not take a Y on a long road trip. The firm suspension is tiresome as is the high NVH (road + wind noise). I still recommend a modern luxury (or near luxury) gas SUV for long road trips. Modern SUV have some serious refinement and comfort.
I drove the same route yesterday in our MY and I don't remember the autopilot disengaging once, ever. It's true the ride was not as smooth as our Model 3 or our older Model S would have been, but it was comfortable. When trying to decide which car to take before the trip, my wife never thought ride comfort was a significant factor. I guess this shows that YMMV.

I drove the same route yesterday in our MY and I don't remember the autopilot disengaging once, ever. It's true the ride was not as smooth as our Model 3 or our older Model S would have been, but it was comfortable. When trying to decide which car to take before the trip, my wife never thought ride comfort was a significant factor. I guess this shows that YMMV.

It was disengaging when large semis brushed too quickly and disengages when you attempt to change lanes (known). Do you have FSD? That’s not a fair comparison.

BlueCruise and SuperCruise can work 40+ miles on that same stretch without disengaging. All hands free. I’m usually eating Buc-Ed’s too lol.

As for comfort… it’s all relative. There are many folks who buy their first (non luxury) EV and say “This is the best car in the world. I’ll never drive an ICE car again!” and I wonder what kinda of crap cars they were driving before.

i don t understand why anyone would buy ev made by anyone else beside tesla right now... other than brand loyalty...

when u buy being stuck to brand loyalty u will pay the price for it in one way or another...

if affordability is an issue then buy used...

Why would anybody buy anything but a Toyota? They are the most reliable and hold the most value (according to Toyota cultists).

Currently, EVs fill an commuter appliance niche. There various missing segments like off-roading, convertibles, long range towing, track cars, etc that aren’t filled or well filled by EVs. The world needs a Bronco EV. The Wrangler 4xE is a step forward. I’m actually borrowing one this week and love it. Driving with the windows down and top open is fantastic in this mild Florida weather. I could see myself ditch EVs for a 4xE.

The OP had a Select which is to be nice... a budget trim.
The Ford dealer I bought it from had me convinced the Select was the middle-tier. I was also told this was the most popular configuration in the US.

First-time EV buyers with a short timeframe to purchase are at a disadvantage in a dealership. While this decision is ultimately on me, I can see so many ways for things to go wrong unless you do a lot of research before talking to a salesperson.

Of course I still think the i4 is a vastly superior EV to the Mach-E, Y, and my new Ioniq 5 Limited. I recently traded away my i4 for a Sequoia TRD Pro as something fun and different. EVs are very much appliances to me.
First time meeting someone with 4 EVs + other ICE cars for personal use. You must be a dealer.

Yeah MME was barely comparable to MYP before the price cuts but now it's just a slaughter.

I just love how hard the MYP pulls at pretty much every speed from idle to triple digit speeds.
The reality is the MYLR (with AB) is faster than the MME GT on the highway (not from a dig). So unless you care about 0-60, comparing a MYLR to a MME GT is actually closer. I dont race ppl from stoplights these days, but I DO pass people on the highway, and to me, thats where you really want the power.

i don t understand why anyone would buy ev made by anyone else beside tesla right now... other than brand loyalty...

when u buy being stuck to brand loyalty u will pay the price for it in one way or another...

if affordability is an issue then buy used...

I don't want one and it's not the price.
I can think of a number of reasons why others would have objective preference for other vehicles.
A friend disregarded Tesla because the nearest service center is in Mass.

The only reason I would want to buy a Tesla would be for Supercharging, and I don't use DCFC much.

My view is that if anybody sorts out CCS charging Tesla will take a big hit on sales.

And there's going to be another company trying. Last week Walmart announced plans to install chargers:

By 2030, we intend to build our own EV fast-charging network at thousands of Walmart and Sam’s Club locations coast-to-coast. This would be in addition to the almost 1,300 EV fast-charging stations we already have available at more than 280 U.S. facilities.

They have the locations to do it:

I don't want one and it's not the price.
I can think of a number of reasons why others would have objective preference for other vehicles.
A friend disregarded Tesla because the nearest service center is in Mass.

The only reason I would want to buy a Tesla would be for Supercharging, and I don't use DCFC much.

My view is that if anybody sorts out CCS charging Tesla will take a big hit on sales.

And there's going to be another company trying. Last week Walmart announced plans to install chargers:

They have the locations to do it:
Supercharging played a huge role in my decision to get a MY. When I was looking in early 2021, the only cars that had the storage capacity, ability to travel long range easily, and plugged in (I was amenable to PHEVs) were the MY, MME, and Rav4 Prime. The Rav4 Prime was my #1 pick, 50mi of range is PLENTY for my daily commute and would easily cover 95% of my driving while still allowing me to go on a long trip without concern.

The only reason I didnt get the R4P was due to dealer markups ($11k added to price made it more expensive than a MY). I crossed the MME off the list rather early due to the charging infrastructure. I have a CCS adapter and drove 15mi to find a 350kW charger just to test the adapter... it was out of order, I ended up plugging into a 150kW charger and it worked just fine. That pretty much left me with the MY as my only option.

That was 2yrs ago and its gotten better, but I'm still not sure its good enough for me to trust it for a long trip on a holiday weekend.... but its definitely closing the gap.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Supercharging played a huge role in my decision to get a MY. When I was looking in early 2021, the only cars that had the storage capacity, ability to travel long range easily, and plugged in (I was amenable to PHEVs) were the MY, MME, and Rav4 Prime. The Rav4 Prime was my #1 pick, 50mi of range is PLENTY for my daily commute and would easily cover 95% of my driving while still allowing me to go on a long trip without concern.

The only reason I didnt get the R4P was due to dealer markups ($11k added to price made it more expensive than a MY).

Agree about R4P Here's one I might test drive but still pricey compared to SR Y after tax credit https://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=671989365&listingTypes=CERTIFIED&vehicleStyleCodes=SUVCROSS&city=El Mirage&state=AZ&zip=85335&fuelTypeGroup=PIH&searchRadius=50&marketExtension=include&isNewSearch=false&showAccelerateBanner=false&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=25&requestId=CERTIFIED&referrer=/cars-for-sale/certified/suv-crossover/el-mirage-az-85335/?fuelTypeGroup=PIH&searchRadius=50&marketExtension=include&isNewSearch=false&showAccelerateBanner=false&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=25&requestId=CERTIFIED&clickType=listing

Also might drive

but only ~20 miles range

lastly Audi

• 19 EV Mile Range but it's not EPA, so real world might be higher??

Last edited:
Agree about R4P Here's one I might test drive but still pricey compared to SR Y after tax credit https://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=671989365&listingTypes=CERTIFIED&vehicleStyleCodes=SUVCROSS&city=El Mirage&state=AZ&zip=85335&fuelTypeGroup=PIH&searchRadius=50&marketExtension=include&isNewSearch=false&showAccelerateBanner=false&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=25&requestId=CERTIFIED&referrer=/cars-for-sale/certified/suv-crossover/el-mirage-az-85335/?fuelTypeGroup=PIH&searchRadius=50&marketExtension=include&isNewSearch=false&showAccelerateBanner=false&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=25&requestId=CERTIFIED&clickType=listing

Also might drive

but only ~20 miles range

lastly Audi

• 19 EV Mile Range but it's not EPA, so real world might be higher??

Rather don’t understand these considerations. With 19, 20, and 40 mile range why even bother? Just go ICE and call it a day.

Reactions: Olle
Rather don’t understand these considerations. With 19, 20, and 40 mile range why even bother? Just go ICE and call it a day.
I have a Prius Prime as my other car, I got over 3200mi on my last tank of gas because EV range (25mi!) covers most trips. Its MUCH cheaper than ICE. A majority of the time its just an EV. Thats precisely why I looked at a Rav4 Prime.

Also, a tank of gas in a prius is like 10gal. So 320mpg isnt too shabby

Reactions: vickh