Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there ever been another case of any auto maker anywhere in the world only wanting to make their most expensive and profitable versions of a car, and refusing to make the base model?

I understand about Tesla wanting to become profitable, but that's their problem, don't make it an issue for me trying to get my $36K Model 3, base model with white paint.
But, but, but... the mission!

Curious, if you picked LR, what does that do for your timing? It seems SR for everybody is being pushed to late 2018.
Mar-May, though who knows what that estimate is worth?

A $35k Tesla with the full federal tax credit is the only Tesla that fits into my budget. I stood in line for hours outside before the store opened to reserve one. I will have a 2nd child by summer and need a car slightly larger than our Acura ILX to accommodate our larger family before the kid is born. For almost 2 years, I planned on that car being the $35k Model 3 (two rear facing car seats fit!). My wife, backed by her moms group friends, wants our next car to be an Acura RDX, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC60. So this delay doesn’t just mean another likely canceled reservation, it also means another terrible gas mileage ICE SUV purchase. I’m sick.

I’ll tell you what it’s worth.... nothing! These “estimates” barely deserve the name. I’m May-July and I’ve come to see that I’ll be lucky if I get it end of this year. On the conference call Elon said a huge bottleneck is the battery factory. He said the robots to fix the problem are in Germany and have to be disassembled, shipped and reassembled in Nevada and he thinks it will be done in March. I don’t believe that timeframe and I think they are going to continue this anemic run rate for a majority of the year both because of battery production and other bottlenecks!

A $35k Tesla with the full federal tax credit is the only Tesla that fits into my budget. I stood in line for hours outside before the store opened to reserve one. I will have a 2nd child by summer and need a car slightly larger than our Acura ILX to accommodate our larger family before the kid is born. For almost 2 years, I planned on that car being the $35k Model 3 (two rear facing car seats fit!). My wife, backed by her moms group friends, wants our next car to be an Acura RDX, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC60. So this delay doesn’t just mean another likely canceled reservation, it also means another terrible gas mileage ICE SUV purchase. I’m sick.
You might be able to buy and take delivery on an EV Volvo about the same time as a base Model 3.
Robin

I choose to give Elon the benefit of the doubt because he is single handedly changing our world/solar system. I just reached my personal “breaking point” this weekend. That says more about my risk tolerance than anything. I have always been an early adopter but I guess I’m getting less tolerance for bugs and issues as I go. I haven’t even bought the latest iPhone yet after years of always being at the front of the line.

Madof was a crook who knew exactly what he was doing. Musk is a visionary who doesn’t always know exactly what he is doing. Luckily he does usually seem to figure it out given enough time.

At this point, I believe, you really need to give her the car she wants. If she’s not already a Tesla fan, she will just nitpick all the “problems” with the car after delivery until it makes you crazy. It wouldn’t matter if it had an espresso maker built in, it won’t be good enough.

Give it a couple more years. Enjoy he new baby, ride the bike to offset her emissions, then pick up a nice Model Y for the fam. Do a three year lease on the Volvo and by the time it goes back your options will be amazing.

If you can fit 1, why can't you fit a 2nd child in the back?

Can someone please relabel this thread, “compost for the paid corporate opposition?” Unbelievable how threatened these folks must be.... bob lutz dipping into his retirement fund to go anti Tesla with paid haters. Trollville.... they know it’s a make or break year for model 3 and Tesla, how sad they will be when they succeed anyway.

Remarkable to see a spike in negative posts right after the most inspiring moment in Tesla history.... hmmmm something doesn’t line up? May I request a mod up in here before we all get herpes?

I got the bump. The site www.tesla.com is partially down except for the Model 3 estimator. They recently (after the Q4 report) bumped me to the summer or later.
The production order has changed. AWD is coming before the Model 3SR RWD, which to me is good news. I don't want AWD, but I think it was a wise decision. I have serious doubts that Tesla can make profits on $35k 200mi performance EV sedans. Yeah, I heard the arguments, but I have been right more than I've been wrong.

Meet her half way and get a Lexus hybrid SUV like the NX 300h or RX 450h. Super reliable and good mpg > 30. My wife wants me to order a M3 because she feels bad for me that she is driving the MX and I am stuck with a Lexus hybrid. But I love my Lexus hybrid except it does not have autopilot and the white HOV sticker. The HOV sticker alone will save me about 20 minutes per day for my commute.

Reactions: Ciaopec and pdxrob
At this point, I believe, you really need to give her the car she wants. If she’s not already a Tesla fan, she will just nitpick all the “problems” with the car after delivery until it makes you crazy. It wouldn’t matter if it had an espresso maker built in, it won’t be good enough.

Give it a couple more years. Enjoy he new baby, ride the bike to offset her emissions, then pick up a nice Model Y for the fam. Do a three year lease on the Volvo and by the time it goes back your options will be amazing.
Great advice. I’m not sure the Y will be around then but their should be more options in the space overall.

Can someone please relabel this thread, “compost for the paid corporate opposition?” Unbelievable how threatened these folks must be.... bob lutz dipping into his retirement fund to go anti Tesla with paid haters. Trollville.... they know it’s a make or break year for model 3 and Tesla, how sad they will be when they succeed anyway.

Remarkable to see a spike in negative posts right after the most inspiring moment in Tesla history.... hmmmm something doesn’t line up? May I request a mod up in here before we all get herpes?
Come on butter. You know this is a hot mess. Don’t get me started citing examples. AP2, FSD. My car will be gone before features I paid for are delivered. Many are halfway through their leases.

Reactions: dm33 and AlanSqB
Come on butter. You know this is a hot mess. Don’t get me started citing examples. AP2, FSD. My car will be gone before features I paid for are delivered. Many are halfway through their leases.
If someone leased with FSD an advanced features I’d request money back on the lease, but a lot of folks lease as a way to buy the car through a business ... either way, I hardly call it a hot mess. I’m confused by that. It seems to be going very well. We are talking an entirely new line correct? A year from now, it’ll be humming and you’ll be debating if you want to wait for the performance model 3 that goes 0-60 in 2.2 secs

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors and dm33