Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After following Tesla for 16 years, I've concluded that the Model 3 is not the car I've been waiting for and the Model Y doesn't look any better (we do know it will be on the Model 3 sled). It's too large, too expensive (how about that unicorn SD?), and too much of a gadget. Yes, OTA updates are cool, but jamming most of the functions into the software interface is a serious safety hazard. I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road while hunting through menus. Sure, once the interface stabilizes and I'm up on the learning curve, that isn't a problem, but until then it's flat out dangerous.

Maybe if I was younger and used to texting while driving instead of watching the road, this wouldn't bother me so much.

I also have problems with the location of the charge point, the fragile frunk lid, and being a beta tester for critical software; to name a few more points.

I certainly hope other people maintain their level of enthusiasm, so the stock price will continue to rise. Some day I'll buy an electric car using the profits, but I really don't think it will be a Tesla.

I am also cancelling my reservation. i've been planning on it for some time, ever since Elon "failing failure" Musk has not given me the requisite 6 cupholders I require to purchase said vehicle.

Once Elon realizes I've cancelled, I'm sure he'll get his act together.

Too little too late Elon! Don't think you can prevent me from cancelling my reservation by offering "pop in cupholders" in the Tesla online shop! I won't be fooled.

I'll do it. I will cancel my order.

After following Tesla for 16 years, I've concluded that the Model 3 is not the car I've been waiting for and the Model Y doesn't look any better (we do know it will be on the Model 3 sled). It's too large, too expensive (how about that unicorn SD?), and too much of a gadget. Yes, OTA updates are cool, but jamming most of the functions into the software interface is a serious safety hazard. I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road while hunting through menus. Sure, once the interface stabilizes and I'm up on the learning curve, that isn't a problem, but until then it's flat out dangerous.

Maybe if I was younger and used to texting while driving instead of watching the road, this wouldn't bother me so much.

I also have problems with the location of the charge point, the fragile frunk lid, and being a beta tester for critical software; to name a few more points.

I certainly hope other people maintain their level of enthusiasm, so the stock price will continue to rise. Some day I'll buy an electric car using the profits, but I really don't think it will be a Tesla.

David --

Sorry to hear it. You've been a very positive and supportive member on this forum.

Have you at least had a chance to drive a Model 3 before canceling?

After following Tesla for 16 years, I've concluded that the Model 3 is not the car I've been waiting for and the Model Y doesn't look any better (we do know it will be on the Model 3 sled). It's too large, too expensive (how about that unicorn SD?),

I think that Model 3 is bigger and more expensive than many people expected, especially if they are not familiar with the product segment (BMW 3-series, MB C-Class, Audi A4, others). These cars are basically mid-size sedans now, with pricy options.

and too much of a gadget. Yes, OTA updates are cool, but jamming most of the functions into the software interface is a serious safety hazard. I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road while hunting through menus. Sure, once the interface stabilizes and I'm up on the learning curve, that isn't a problem, but until then it's flat out dangerous.

My greatest concern was with the windshield wipers, but the latest Autopilot firmware update seems to have finally gotten the automatic wiper function working properly. I am fairly confident that Model 3 is safe to drive.

I know from talking to people that there is no shortage of enthusiasm or demand for Tesla products.

I am sort of in the same boat though regarding price. I buy inexpensive cars and drive them until they fall apart, which takes a very long time because I drive relatively few miles per year. Many of my neighbors lease cars that MSRP 3-4 times what I pay for a new car. I am too stingy to stomach paying the depreciation on luxury cars, no matter how nice.

I think that Model 3 is bigger and more expensive than many people expected, especially if they are not familiar with the product segment (BMW 3-series, MB C-Class, Audi A4, others). These cars are basically mid-size sedans now, with pricy options.
How is it bigger than people expected? Elon was comparing the planned Model 3 to the BMW 3-Series and Audi A4 from the beginning.

How is it bigger than people expected? Elon was comparing the planned Model 3 to the BMW 3-Series and Audi A4 from the beginning.

People who aren’t car enthusiasts or aren’t familiar with the 3-Series or A4 (typically because they aren’t in the market for luxury vehicles) wouldn’t really have a frame of reference.

It won’t matter in the end IMO, because the larger size is actually a positive in the mainstream market. Most people want a car with space. Size also helps with safety.

It won’t matter in the end IMO, because the larger size is actually a positive in the mainstream market. Most people want a car with space. Size also helps with safety.

It's bigger on the inside. :p

Having more interior space for a smaller exterior has been a goal of car packaging for a long time (it's the main reason transverse engine FWD cars took over the smaller size categories,) and the 3 extends this trend.

After following Tesla for 16 years, I've concluded that the Model 3 is not the car I've been waiting for and the Model Y doesn't look any better (we do know it will be on the Model 3 sled).
Okay. So it's not for you. But why now?

It's too large
It's size has been know for a long time. Have you just started paying attention?

too expensive (how about that unicorn SD?)
The short range version will be available when it's available. If you don't want to wait, that's a different complaint.

and too much of a gadget.
It's exactly as much of a gadget as the S and the X. You expected different?

Yes, OTA updates are cool
Yes. Extremely. Waking up to a new car every few weeks is awesome!

but jamming most of the functions into the software interface is a serious safety hazard. I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road while hunting through menus. Sure, once the interface stabilizes and I'm up on the learning curve, that isn't a problem, but until then it's flat out dangerous.
No, it isn't. It takes about five minutes to get used to. Not having actually driven it (I assume), you're just imagining problems. Regenerative braking takes just as long to get used to.

Don't sell yourself short.

I'm sure you can find more issues if you think about it, but it turns out that once you've driven the car for a few minutes you don't care about any of that stuff.

Unless you desperately need the $1000, what's the point of cancelling the reservation? At some point Tesla will tell you that you can now configure your SR non-PUP vehicle and you can decide then that you don't want to do it. Things change.

Issue is that many people got caught up in the $35,000 Tesla that would be perfect in every way.

Then when you spend times on the forums, and hear people complaining about things that could be better, and focusing on any discovered faults, the car falls short of the dream.

Car is too big...car is too small...bigger battery cost too much...charge plug is not robust...display is not where I want it...want different wheels...not a supercharger in my neighborhood...software has issues...lights not bright enough...display too slow...visors too small...door handles are different that I am used to...financing too expensive...some have scratches in the paint...colors cost too much...frunk not big enough for my baby carriage...Elon has unkept promises...display should refresh faster...charging station in my garage cost too much...insurance costs money...not as cheap as my 10 year old economy car...will not go 400 miles on a single charge...need to go out of my way a little to hit a Supercharger...and on and on.

While hundreds of thousands are happily motoring around in the finest car they have ever owned. They are not filling up with 20 gallons at a time of poisonous gasoline and polluting all those around them.

Guess it all depends on how you look at it.

Many will request their deposits back, and go back to what they feel comfortable with...Change is hard and not for everybody.

Issue is that many people got caught up in the $35,000 Tesla that would be perfect in every way.

Then when you spend times on the forums, and hear people complaining about things that could be better, and focusing on any discovered faults, the car falls short of the dream.

Car is too big...car is too small...bigger battery cost too much...charge plug is not robust...display is not where I want it...want different wheels...not a supercharger in my neighborhood...software has issues...lights not bright enough...display too slow...visors too small...door handles are different that I am used to...financing too expensive...some have scratches in the paint...colors cost too much...frunk not big enough for my baby carriage...Elon has unkept promises...display should refresh faster...charging station in my garage cost too much...insurance costs money...not as cheap as my 10 year old economy car...will not go 400 miles on a single charge...need to go out of my way a little to hit a Supercharger...and on and on.

While hundreds of thousands are happily motoring around in the finest car they have ever owned. They are not filling up with 20 gallons at a time of poisonous gasoline and polluting all those around them.

Guess it all depends on how you look at it.

Many will request their deposits back, and go back to what they feel comfortable with...Change is hard and not for everybody.

I'm charging 2 leafs in my garage right now but I might get me a Model 3 in a year or two. I'm happy to see those hundreds of thousands on the road until then.

None of these are show stoppers for me but I'll agree with Model 3 is too big (could be narrower), I want different wheels (17" wheels), and QA issues matter.

I do see the humor in the majority of your list of grievances as I do see those posts all the time. You've captured the essence of the naysayer.