Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but I disagree. CSA only accepts C-UL, not UL. C-UL means inspected by UL staffers, but holding the product to a CSA standard. There are several wiring methods that UL accepts that CSA doesn't.

Could be. My experience is more on the utility side where there seems to be more latitude on that side of the demarcation point. At one point, there were no requirements at all for most utility distribution equipment to be certified at all. Now every nut bolt and bracket has to conform to some appropriate and applicable standard as do "assemblies" of these parts. I thought I had heard of UL listed products simply being accepted and "given" a C-UL label, but as you say, maybe that's only for products were the manufacturing standards are the same.

The issue might be that Tesla, as an electrical utility equipment manufacturer, is previously unknown to CSA, with no track record. It is possible that ABB, Eaton, etc. got speedier approval for their CHAdeMO units for Canada because they were established companies with many prior approvals for Canada.

This could also explain why Tesla was initially confident in rapid deployment in places like Squamish, even tentatively planning the launch event (for April!). Because of the process established in the US, the supercharger team might have been totally focused on the site negotiations and permitting, and then only when the contractors were lined up and refused to touch the equipment without CSA approval, did they realize they were hitting a brick wall! A Federal level road-block would explain why NO progress has been made anywhere, in any province.

The issue might be that Tesla, as an electrical utility equipment manufacturer, is previously unknown to CSA, with no track record. It is possible that ABB, Eaton, etc. got speedier approval for their CHAdeMO units for Canada because they were established companies with many prior approvals for Canada.

Likely, but what I don't understand is why Tesla is remaining so silent on the matter. Simply saying they're having "permitting" problems could mean any number of things. Surely someone on their Supercharger Team knows the real reason. Tesla seems to suggest they're acutely aware of the angst it's causing Canadians and are doing everything they can. So if it's not something wrong on Tesla's end, why don't they just tell us what's going on? If it is some crazy CSA holdup, tell us. We as a user community might even be able to help by applying pressure to the actual problem.

Likely, but what I don't understand is why Tesla is remaining so silent on the matter. Simply saying they're having "permitting" problems could mean any number of things. Surely someone on their Supercharger Team knows the real reason. Tesla seems to suggest they're acutely aware of the angst it's causing Canadians and are doing everything they can. So if it's not something wrong on Tesla's end, why don't they just tell us what's going on? If it is some crazy CSA holdup, tell us. We as a user community might even be able to help by applying pressure to the actual problem.
Remaining silent might also be the sign of a class act, especially in the face of all of this customer frustration. It might not be productive in the long run for Tesla to start publicly blaming regulators for the delays. Wouldn't make for a good working relationship, longer term.
Don't get me wrong, I'm quite annoyed by the delays too.

My guess: they had to make hardware modifications to get CSA approval. That would certainly explain a long delay. Either that or they didn't get around to starting approvals until very late... which wouldn't surprise me either.

Communication is key to any success. It does not have to be negative or directed to any agency, just the facts please. Especially if your track record of making promises is in question.

CSA certification is canada-wide. However, CSA only certifies products. Installation methods are not the CSA's domain but rather the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC), local/municipal electrical codes and the power utility's standards apply when making connections to those products.

FYI, CSA is actually a non-profit organization. They are governed by the Standards Council of Canada (a crown corporation). If the product (the supercharger assembly) isn't CSA or C-UL certified through a product certification program, an assembly can get field, or "special" inspection. Instead of the normal CSA label, a special inspection label is applied, with a file number (LR#####).

So ... the CSA mark (or C-UL) must appear on all assembled products and subassemblies, external wiring/cabling size, type and connection methods must be to CEC (or local code if applicable) and utility power supply and how it's connected is dictated by the utility.

Communication is key to any success. It does not have to be negative or directed to any agency, just the facts please. Especially if your track record of making promises is in question.

Exactly.

And I should apologize for my testiness on this issue. I'm leaving on a road trip to the Chicago area this week, and it's going to cost me more than if I took an ICE car. Why? Because I have to make an overnight hotel stop in both directions since I can't make it to/from the first Supercharger and my home in the GTA. It's about a 10 hour drive to where I'm going in an ICE.

Last edited:
Oh ffs ... now I know the problem. Black and Veatch has one office in western Canada, located in Metrotown. The entire engineering staff of this office is one VP and two process engineers. They have no in-house electrical engineering expertise, so they've almost certainly been sourcing their US offices for electrical engineering capacity. They'll be like fish out of water when dealing with Canadian standards and utility requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.