Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in the past we've heard that there are >1000 cars in Canada now (I could be wrong). I would wager that 2/3's of those are in Ontario and Quebec.

Here are some numbers for all Canadian EV sales broken down by province from January http://www.fleetcarma.com/canadian-electric-vehicle-sales-jan-2014-provincial-summary/ .

Unfortunately they didn't do the breakdown of the specific EVs per province but I know I have seen these numbers somewhere (at least for Quebec) and will update if/when I find them.

Guys,
Here is confirmation of the Toronto Supercharger. See email chain below.
The original email was me following up a response he sent to me in April.
Yes, that will be at the Toronto East service center (this is not public information), and we are one week away from city of Toronto permits which should immediately followed by the ground breaking. We are hopeful that we can get this site up before the end of June. We know that these continued delays have been nearly catastrophic to our customer confidence and are working to meet your needs as quickly as possible.

Best Regards,
Cal

Cal,

Thanks for your reply.
I did see that. But it says the first charger in Toronto by June (I am assuming at the east service centre) but we see no progress at all there.

John,
Thanks for keeping in touch. We are painfully aware of our customers’unhappiness with the state of Supercharger in Canada, and getting these sitesup and running continues to be one of our top priorities.

We provided a more specific update on the TMC forums in late April - http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12773-Canadian-Superchargers/page50. The timing and priority of the routes remains unchanged; the general gatingfactor for all of these sites has been longer permitting and zoning timelines,but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel for the key sites andcontinue to push at all levels to gain the necessary approvals. The support ofour customers is our strongest asset, so we are always willing to engage withany specific contacts you or other customers may have.

Thanks again for your continued support and understanding; you will benotified immediately once the first sites are opened but can always reach outto me directly in the interim.

Best Regards,
Cal

Last edited:
Thanks for the update John. Sounds promising. I guess that confirms what we had guessed, that it was approvals holding things up.

I've just moved a couple of posts (mine included!) about the Ontario EV rebate to the appropriate thread.

Thanks for the update John. Sounds promising. I guess that confirms what we had guessed, that it was approvals holding things up.

I'm trying to understand what these so called "approvals" are for. The equipment? The site? The electrical service? It shouldn't be that big a deal. From the electric utility perspective, we'll hook up a load like this in no time.

I'm trying to understand what these so called "approvals" are for. The equipment? The site? The electrical service? It shouldn't be that big a deal. From the electric utility perspective, we'll hook up a load like this in no time.

I'm guessing CSA. As I've mentioned, CSA is more paranoid than most certification standards bodies. (Even if they do C-UL or other they still use CSA standards.)

My guess would be that it is something that is common to all Canadian sites as it would appear that all the sites are getting hit with the same delay and at that level one could assume that it is the Canadian UL (CSA) certification that is at play here. Other than that is there some other required approvals at the federal level that could be at play here?

Edit: Doug beat me to it ...

Well, hopefully this means that after they clear whatever is holding them up, the sites should go up pretty quickly and then we'll all be sitting around laughing about how paranoid we were "back in the day".

Exactly. To put this in perspective, does anyone else remember the initial Model S production ramp up, and concern over whether Tesla would be able to deliver? I remember at the time being ready to jump in but still having a nagging worry about whether they really would be able to ramp up production.

Then there was the anxiety about the company failing once it had satisfied the original batch of orders from "early adopters" - who was going to buy at that time? Demand would dry up...

Those all seem like quaint concerns at this point, as Tesla is not far away from producing the 50,000th Model S, and has begun to ship cars all over the world.

Exactly. To put this in perspective, does anyone else remember the initial Model S production ramp up, and concern over whether Tesla would be able to deliver?

Sure do. The first Signature cars were delivered in the summer of 2012 but we had to wait until late December for ours, well after all US Signatures had been delivered plus a large number of US production cars. It was apparent at the end that they were still working on Canadian approvals, which made it clear that they simply started the process too late. The gap between the original promises and actual deployment of Superchargers is much larger.

I stopped by the rumoured site for the Kingston supercharger today. There's still a lot of heavy construction going on, but it's not clear if any of it is SC-related. They seem to still be working mostly on underground infrastructure. One possible good sign is I spotted a pickup truck labeled "PBW High Voltage". PBW apparently specializes in "Medium and High Voltage Substations, and Distribution Systems for Industrial, Commercial, and Institutional customers". So it's just speculation - maybe they're just putting in a transformer for the shopping mall or something - but it could be precursor work for the superchargers.

I'm guessing CSA. As I've mentioned, CSA is more paranoid than most certification standards bodies. (Even if they do C-UL or other they still use CSA standards.)

It could be, but generally the CSA will accept UL testing standards and grant approval based on that. This is, of course, assuming they have UL approval in the States. On the Ontario utility side O.Reg. 22/04 comes in to play and it requires that all distribution connected equipment be certified, but the supercharger equipment would be beyond the utility demarcation point and so that wouldn't apply. Generally it goes like this: the contractor constructs the site in accordance with the utility's Conditions of Service, obtains an ESA connection authorization and the utility connects it. We do this all the time, day in and day out for buildings and other sites and as far as I can tell, this would be no different.

Status
Not open for further replies.