Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - How is your Wh/km?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to get lifetime energy efficiency? I've reset the trip odometers more than once.

Nowadays I'm getting 170 to 180 Wh/km (low speed, not a lot of stops - possible at the extreme southeast corner of an island!) but during the winter it was often closer to 250 Wh/km. I find that accelerating hard doesn't make much difference, as long as you don't accelerate past the speed you would otherwise go. The key is to do a lot of coasting.

I'm not looking forward to the winter. How do you charge btw? I use a 240v/20A outlet (so 236V/16A to the car).

I have a 240/50 (NEMA 14-50) just inside the garage door. I run the cable under the door to a hook that I have hanging outside.

The biggest trick I found to help was to turn on the HVAC as soon as I woke up, from the phone, and about an hour later the pack warms up. The battery was never completely warmed up* on the really cold days, but it helped.

*what I mean by warmed up, is getting in the car and the charge / discharge limiters are gone.

This very much depends on the style of driving, particularly on the number of stops and battery and cabin heating sessions per day. For typical daily commute to work with only 1-2 sessions you should count on 25-30% capacity loss in the coldest days.

If you were just driving from point A to point B in a 60 and you pre-heat the car/battery you would have no issues driving beyond 200 km in a 60 during a cold winter day. We drove 190km on the highway (>110 km/h) in -16C weather and had 90km or ideal range left when we arrived on a full charge.

What really kills range is letting the car get cold soaked outside and lots of short trips. Our worst day during the winter, which involved the car sitting outside -28C for 10 hours throughout the day, with 4 trips, using battery to pre-heat the cabin before each trip.

20140302_014808945_iOS.jpg

If you were just driving from point A to point B in a 60 and you pre-heat the car/battery you would have no issues driving beyond 200 km in a 60 during a cold winter day. We drove 190km on the highway (>110 km/h) in -16C weather and had 90km or ideal range left when we arrived on a full charge.

What really kills range is letting the car get cold soaked outside and lots of short trips. Our worst day during the winter, which involved the car sitting outside -28C for 10 hours throughout the day, with 4 trips, using battery to pre-heat the cabin before each trip.

So, you would have gotten at least 160km on that worst multi-trip day then? Trying to figure out if I want/need an 85 vs a 60. Was all set on an 85 but then I realized I don't travel that much and most of my travel will be along the 401 SC network anyway. Not sure if the 85 would be worth the extra $8550 for me. ($10,700 - $2150) Performance upgrade is minimal, tire upgrade not a huge deal, and I don't drive enough to really need the unlimited mileage warranty on the battery vs the 200,000km.

Yes 160km on a full charge with the 60 is probably the worst case that I have seen with our vehicle so far. It is really a personal choice as you know your driving needs best and if you have a second vehicle then you'll always have a backup for the odd day if you were concerned.

That said our only regret is not getting the 85 battery. For us the 85 would eliminate the thinking about range we sometimes find ourselves having to do and as the car gets older I am expecting there will be some range loss which will make this more frequent.

Regardless of what you do choose, I'm sure you'll love the car.

I say Webasto is the right answer to this problem.

Ummm... where are you going to get the fuel from in a Model S?

Personally, I do not want any combustible liquids stored in my car. It's too dangerous! (Imagine a car with a lot of combustible fuel in it - what a fire hazard!!! :-O )

- - - Updated - - -

Our worst day during the winter, which involved the car sitting outside -28C for 10 hours throughout the day, with 4 trips, using battery to pre-heat the cabin before each trip.

During the day it's -28 C?

Ok, weather wimp here. I grew up in Ontario, but have been in Victoria for 20 years...

I must say, though, for those who say EVs can't work in the cold parts of Canada: this is proof that they can. Of course energy usage will be higher, but with the battery capacity of the Model S that's not so much of an issue.