Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - an ordinary guy's journey and struggle to (just) an S60...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be honest here: I'm not wealthy, I'm not a doctor/lawyer/entrepreneur/google intern, but I do have a relatively secure job. I'm an I.T. guy, and am knowledgeable in most new gadgets and cool stuff.

A year ago, my daily commute went from 5km to 80km a day, and I started looking for hybrids and EVs (I drive an SUV now, $400/month in gas).

I was going for the Leaf, assuming that Canadians would get similar lease rates as Americans ($199/month, 3yrs). I was wrong.
I love the Tesla Model S but never really considered it, same reason I didn't consider my dream car Nissan GT-R a year ago -- out of reach.

One day, driving home and stuck in traffic again for 3 days in a row (accident on road), I just went "f*** it, I want it". I started to (secretly) learn all that I could about Tesla MS, called Tesla and asked questions, devised a payment plan based on different rates and lengths, asked myself if I was willing to make some cut backs and sacrifices in the coming years... (I was)

Booked a test drive Oct 13, brought wifey and made sure she got to drive it too. Ordered the same day, confirmed the next. Now waiting for delivery.

I feel like I'm the minority here, reading about almost everyone else getting at least the S85, while most settle for the P and P+, some ordering 2nds for wives etc. I do not envy others, that's not how I feel. We (wifey and I) are just curious, are there middle-class people that get the base S60? what are your stories?

I hate the fact that Canadians pay $10k+ more for each build, and our loan rate (Scotiabank) is 3.99% (compared to 1.5-3% in the states); but I am grateful that we have the opportunity to actually purchase it.

My config: S60/black/tech w/power folding mirrors/pano

We went to the factory event back in October 2011. We noticed that most of the cars in the parking lot were not impressive. Many were quite old---it seemed that many people were holding onto their ICE auto until the model S arrived. I think the customers or at least the ones who post have shifted to the ones who are considering a model S as an alternate to a Panamera. The model S is the only car of its type on the market, you are not the only one who is really stretching their budget to purchase. We enjoy our model S every day and have no regrets in purchasing it.

I'll be honest here: I'm not wealthy, I'm not a doctor/lawyer/entrepreneur/google intern, but I do have a relatively secure job. I'm an I.T. guy, and am knowledgeable in most new gadgets and cool stuff.

A year ago, my daily commute went from 5km to 80km a day, and I started looking for hybrids and EVs (I drive an SUV now, $400/month in gas).

I was going for the Leaf, assuming that Canadians would get similar lease rates as Americans ($199/month, 3yrs). I was wrong.
I love the Tesla Model S but never really considered it, same reason I didn't consider my dream car Nissan GT-R a year ago -- out of reach.

One day, driving home and stuck in traffic again for 3 days in a row (accident on road), I just went "f*** it, I want it". I started to (secretly) learn all that I could about Tesla MS, called Tesla and asked questions, devised a payment plan based on different rates and lengths, asked myself if I was willing to make some cut backs and sacrifices in the coming years... (I was)

Booked a test drive Oct 13, brought wifey and made sure she got to drive it too. Ordered the same day, confirmed the next. Now waiting for delivery.

I feel like I'm the minority here, reading about almost everyone else getting at least the S85, while most settle for the P and P+, some ordering 2nds for wives etc. I do not envy others, that's not how I feel. We (wifey and I) are just curious, are there middle-class people that get the base S60? what are your stories?

I hate the fact that Canadians pay $10k+ more for each build, and our loan rate (Scotiabank) is 3.99% (compared to 1.5-3% in the states); but I am grateful that we have the opportunity to actually purchase it.

My config: S60/black/tech w/power folding mirrors/pano
Well, I am kinda in the same boat. I am totally middle class. Never made more than $50K per year my entire life. Highest cost of a vehicle prior to this was my current 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid for which I paid $24K. BUT I have been blessed by God. I lived comfortably and made wise investment choices and saved my pennies. I wanted to retire without a change in lifestyle so I lived accordingly. But 5 years ago cancer robbed me of the love of my life and I realized I am not obligated to leave the bulk of my estate to my daughters. No one left me anything. So I retired last January, got married to a wonderful widow. We downsized to a condo and took the proceeds to purchase what has been a dream car for me for the past several years. I did not get the 60 and even upgraded the S85 to a P85. (I held off TexEx for the +!!!) I am not sure how long the good Lord will allow me to inhabit this side of the clouds, but I fully anticipate driving a Tesla until He calls me home.

Last edited:
Congrats on the S--it will make a great car in the short and longer term for you.

No different than any other car regarding ability to purchase. Some cars cost more than others, but once Gen III comes out, then it should make for a nice portfolio (Gen III for entry level, X for SUV and S for their top end--and hopefull a new 2 door soon as well).

Hope your car arrives soon!

Congrats on the S--it will make a great car in the short and longer term for you.

No different than any other car regarding ability to purchase. Some cars cost more than others, but once Gen III comes out, then it should make for a nice portfolio (Gen III for entry level, X for SUV and S for their top end--and hopefull a new 2 door soon as well).

Hope your car arrives soon!
Huh, no P+ sales pitch today Mr. Musk?
Must have been a long night!

But seriously I too am not wealthy, far from it. However I really want the p+ so I decided although I'd love to have the model s now it would be far better to wait and save up to get my dream car!

For me, the most I had spent on a new car was around $60k, and that was after some serious discounting in 2009 after the financial crisis and dealers were hungry. The Model S was a lot more than I planned on spending, but since I was committed, I decided to go for a fairly well equipped S85. I couldn't justify the P premium for my style of driving. I drive about 30,000 miles a year so it really becomes a "total cost of ownership" question, and I will actually be back down to my more typical automotive spend after 5 years of fuel savings.

We stretched to get the 60 and it although it is still a lot of money, we thought it was worth the investment into an industry, a belief and a truly revolutionary product. Taking on the extra debt is never wise but we make it work and enjoy everything the car represents. It would be nice to have the p or p+ or some of the extras we just couldn't justify but the core car provides the same joy and experience. You won't be diasspointed with a 60.

Power folding mirrors? I've ordered a Model S for January delivery and power folding mirrors were not available. If they are, I want to modify my order!!

The power folding mirror addition in the tech package just became available on Oct 17. I had to email Tesla to add it. $200+tax difference.

- - - Updated - - -

After gov rebate of $5000 here in Vancouver, my config's OTR (on the road) price was around $93,000. This includes the extra 3% in luxury vehicle tax. Pretty sad, but very exciting nonetheless.

Gratz on your pending S60! And there's no such thing as "just an S60"... not when it has a Tesla label on it. :)

Be careful not to confuse a bit of exuberance/enthusiasm for elitism. At least I hope I'm right on that point.

Fulfilling needs and fulfilling wants are not the same thing. Nobody can fault you for the former regardless of your financial status. Having the means to wrap the needs within a blanket of wants is what often makes the difference in decision-making although it can be carried out to extremes so that it becomes all wants. I have a physician friend, retired, in a gated community, and all he ever considered was the S60. He even saved on the charging station in his garage by asking a knowledgeable neighbor to do it for him.

the model S was just (barely) within my financial reach. single guy here with no kids, so that helped a lot. I had to cut down on expenditures, and rented out a room in my condo to help offset costs (there was no guarantee that I could get the room rented, so I did not take that into consideration when looking at my finances).

My previous car was a used 350z, so the MS was a huge jump for me. I am not one to spend this kind of money on a car, but the MS was just... beautiful. I had to punch the numbers, and broke down the costs of owning and what my monthly expenditures were. In the end, it all worked out (luckily got a renter in so that my monthly expenditures was equal to what I had been paying prior to purchasing the car; ie, the renter was paying for my monthly car payments). But, he'll be moving out soon, so we'll see how I am able to deal with the finances.

the model S was just (barely) within my financial reach. single guy here with no kids, so that helped a lot. I had to cut down on expenditures, and rented out a room in my condo to help offset costs (there was no guarantee that I could get the room rented, so I did not take that into consideration when looking at my finances).

My previous car was a used 350z, so the MS was a huge jump for me. I am not one to spend this kind of money on a car, but the MS was just... beautiful. I had to punch the numbers, and broke down the costs of owning and what my monthly expenditures were. In the end, it all worked out (luckily got a renter in so that my monthly expenditures was equal to what I had been paying prior to purchasing the car; ie, the renter was paying for my monthly car payments). But, he'll be moving out soon, so we'll see how I am able to deal with the finances.

Wow, that's dedication! Glad you are enjoying that beauty!

I too am a middle class working slave. When I bought my 60 it was a choice between a zero optioned S85 or a well optioned 60. I am single with no kids, but it was a stretch to try to afford it. I took a hard look at my driving habits and I found I rarely drove over 100 miles in a day except for the occasional road trip. So saving the $10,000 by not getting the pig pack and throwing it towards a few options and a little cash reserve felt right to me. Also, the whole battery swap thing was demonstrated by Elon at the time so I got it in my mind that if the 60 was just not enough I might still be able to "upgrade" after the fact. I don't know if and when that will ever be the case. But, after receiving my 60, WOW I am definitely not disappointed. The 60 is plenty fast. The 60 can do over 200 miles if it needs to in the summer. I love the options that I got (before the price increases and un-bundling). The car has been rock solid, absolutely no issues. It has never seen the service center since I picked it up. I have since been able to get some friends and relatives to let me install charging access at their places. So now I have my own personal charging network that covers even my occasional road trip. At this point I don't think I will ever upgrade my 60 battery until it gets worn out. By then I assume the "low end" battery will be beyond a 60 and I will get that if need be. Frankly, I like the lighter pack in the car. It makes it just the car a little bit more tossable around the corners, based on my experiences driving a P85.

That said, you just got to take a look at your driving habits to see if having 200 miles of range in a day is enough. Also keep in mind winters do lessen the range. If your typical daily driving is 100 miles or less you should be fine. My only caveat is if you can't charge at home, don't buy a model S. Being able to charge at home is the biggest deal in my estimation.

I don't know if I am middle class or upper-middle class. But you know, the car doesn't make sense from a financial decision no matter how you try to justify it. In the end, the car is a want and a luxury.

Me and my wife can afford the car at the moment, but we would like to do more then just afford it. We aren't ones to take on debt so we are saving up to put a large downpayment of roughly 70 percent in the beginning. Maybe this will happen next year.

In the end, if you can survive and enjoy life with the amount of debt you have, then you should be happy with the choice to stretch. I feel like more people are stretching for this car that otherwise wouldn't had it not come around. For example, I currently drive a V6 Mustang. Paid off, I don't have any payment and I would keep it that way until I drove it into the ground. I have been following Tesla since the Roadster and once they made the Model S I was hooked. BMW, Audi, and others have nothing on it. Though I am not a car person, I still want this car more then anything so I will be "stretching" in a sense.

Follow your heart :) As long as that doesn't lead you to be homeless if you lose your job.

Last edited:
I too am a middle class working slave. When I bought my 60 it was a choice between a zero optioned S85 or a well optioned 60. I am single with no kids, but it was a stretch to try to afford it. I took a hard look at my driving habits and I found I rarely drove over 100 miles in a day except for the occasional road trip. So saving the $10,000 by not getting the pig pack and throwing it towards a few options and a little cash reserve felt right to me. Also, the whole battery swap thing was demonstrated by Elon at the time so I got it in my mind that if the 60 was just not enough I might still be able to "upgrade" after the fact. I don't know if and when that will ever be the case. But, after receiving my 60, WOW I am definitely not disappointed. The 60 is plenty fast. The 60 can do over 200 miles if it needs to in the summer. I love the options that I got (before the price increases and un-bundling). The car has been rock solid, absolutely no issues. It has never seen the service center since I picked it up. I have since been able to get some friends and relatives to let me install charging access at their places. So now I have my own personal charging network that covers even my occasional road trip. At this point I don't think I will ever upgrade my 60 battery until it gets worn out. By then I assume the "low end" battery will be beyond a 60 and I will get that if need be. Frankly, I like the lighter pack in the car. It makes it just the car a little bit more tossable around the corners, based on my experiences driving a P85.

That said, you just got to take a look at your driving habits to see if having 200 miles of range in a day is enough. Also keep in mind winters do lessen the range. If your typical daily driving is 100 miles or less you should be fine. My only caveat is if you can't charge at home, don't buy a model S. Being able to charge at home is the biggest deal in my estimation.

I'm curious - can you post your personal charging network on plugshare?