Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - an ordinary guy's journey and struggle to (just) an S60...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My profile is almost exactly the same as yours, except in Toronto. 60 owner since last March. IT-guy with a young family. The car is easily THE coolest thing I've ever purchased and have no regrets. My plans include road trips to the East Coast, New York and likely Disney. Once those west coast Superchargers are all set up, I bet you'll be driving down for free to have a few bottles of 'Two Buck Chuck' in Napa. That's what I would do anyway.

There seems to be lots of us ordinary guys... My most expensive car was a PT cruiser - ha! Such an upgrade. But I almost wasn't able to swing it. At the time I finalized last January I was thinking should I get the car, or wait until I can afford it a little better and get the stock for the time being. Well, I could have done better with the decision, but am still happy....

Thank you all for your stories!

I'm fortunate that my house is paid off and I don't have any debt... I'm a government employee in the IT field, so that's relatively secure.

The main thing for me was this car is just crazy COOL!!!! The performance, good looks, zero gas, etc. are all bonuses! haha! I used to buy most of the newest gadgets and toys (smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc.). Sadly I'll have to give that up for my new toy - MS. I think it's worth it!

The power folding mirror addition in the tech package just became available on Oct 17. I had to email Tesla to add it. $200+tax difference.

- - - Updated - - -

After gov rebate of $5000 here in Vancouver, my config's OTR (on the road) price was around $93,000. This includes the extra 3% in luxury vehicle tax. Pretty sad, but very exciting nonetheless.

LOL 3% of Luxury Vehicle tax is nothing,

in Australia, if you buy a car over ~$57k (or an EV over ~75k), you're up for 33% in luxury car tax. Then you have the 10% GST and 5-6% stamp duty on top.

Hence why I want to move to USA :p

I'm curious - can you post your personal charging network on plugshare?

Well not to get too off topic, but I can't put my friends and relatives places on plug share simply because those places aren't mine to do so. I could put my place on Plugshare, just been a little nervous to do so. That said if someone needs to get a charge around Burlington Wisconsin, let me know I can help.

Well not to get too off topic, but I can't put my friends and relatives places on plug share simply because those places aren't mine to do so. I could put my place on Plugshare, just been a little nervous to do so. That said if someone needs to get a charge around Burlington Wisconsin, let me know I can help.

I put my place up on Plugshare in June. i've only had 2 people ask for a charge: one of them I couldn't help as he wanted an overnight charge (seriously do people make such a request?) and I needed to plug in.

Like I said, I'm not a car guy. :)
I'm veering off-track (sorry) but I think this is worth calling out this comment for two reasons. In fact, I say this in at least 25% of my Tesla Time conversations.

1. Tesla, with the Model S, and generally is attracting the attention of people needing transport that "aren't car people". They've produced compelling offerings that are bringing out the general populace, not just car enthusiasts.
2. TMC forum folks should definitely keep this in mind. Don't assume we (I include myself) know what you're talking about when you make observations in car speak, especially ones that involve acronyms for terms and units of measure that are somewhat exclusive to automotive, electrical, or physics domains.

I'm veering off-track (sorry) but I think this is worth calling out this comment for two reasons. In fact, I say this in at least 25% of my Tesla Time conversations.

1. Tesla, with the Model S, and generally is attracting the attention of people needing transport that "aren't car people". They've produced compelling offerings that are bringing out the general populace, not just car enthusiasts.
2. TMC forum folks should definitely keep this in mind. Don't assume we (I include myself) know what you're talking about when you make observations in car speak, especially ones that involve acronyms for terms and units of measure that are somewhat exclusive to automotive, electrical, or physics domains.
This is oh so waaay true. When I first started frequenting this forum I had no idea what half the initials stood for. (Still don't on some of them.) I think we need a Sticky just for a listing of all the initials used.

I'll be honest here: I'm not wealthy, I'm not a doctor/lawyer/entrepreneur/google intern, but I do have a relatively secure job. I'm an I.T. guy, and am knowledgeable in most new gadgets and cool stuff.

A year ago, my daily commute went from 5km to 80km a day, and I started looking for hybrids and EVs (I drive an SUV now, $400/month in gas).

I was going for the Leaf, assuming that Canadians would get similar lease rates as Americans ($199/month, 3yrs). I was wrong.
I love the Tesla Model S but never really considered it, same reason I didn't consider my dream car Nissan GT-R a year ago -- out of reach.

One day, driving home and stuck in traffic again for 3 days in a row (accident on road), I just went "f*** it, I want it". I started to (secretly) learn all that I could about Tesla MS, called Tesla and asked questions, devised a payment plan based on different rates and lengths, asked myself if I was willing to make some cut backs and sacrifices in the coming years... (I was)

Booked a test drive Oct 13, brought wifey and made sure she got to drive it too. Ordered the same day, confirmed the next. Now waiting for delivery.

I feel like I'm the minority here, reading about almost everyone else getting at least the S85, while most settle for the P and P+, some ordering 2nds for wives etc. I do not envy others, that's not how I feel. We (wifey and I) are just curious, are there middle-class people that get the base S60? what are your stories?

I hate the fact that Canadians pay $10k+ more for each build, and our loan rate (Scotiabank) is 3.99% (compared to 1.5-3% in the states); but I am grateful that we have the opportunity to actually purchase it.

My config: S60/black/tech w/power folding mirrors/pano

You're not alone and it seems you have your mind / priorities in the right place. Yes, I have the P85+. I am 100% retired now and it is my first "exotic" car. My last car is nearly 10 years old and saved frugally to put our kids through school. Keep up that positive attitude and continue doing what you are doing.