Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we handle lane keeping and other autopilot features when they are released?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, we should probably take away people's freedom to vote or drink what they like or eat what they like or ... because some people have challenges understanding things and making their own choices. No thanks, nanny state.

Quoting me the way you did, and then writing what you wrote makes it sound like I am in favor of limiting the features. I've said a couple of times in this thread quite clearly that that is not the case.

Jeez, if people would take the responsibility for understanding the vehicle features and then try them out paying close attention to how they work in real life. All along, everyone continues to say it is the driver that has responsibility. That should include understanding and getting comfortable with any features a vehicle may have. That could be back-up cameras, nav, cruise or anything else including what is discussed here.

Wait, you aren't in favor of a nanny state? Now I have to go put my pitchfork away...

Look at what I wrote elsewhere in this thread, including the opening post, and decide. (I think it's pretty darn clear!)

Again, I am not making an argument against getting these features. I want them, and I know most of us will use them properly. I'm just terrified about what could happen with the people that won't, and how that could affect Tesla and the future of the autopilot features.

Likewise, there are some humans that can't be trusted with a spoon.
Just because of the exceptions, you can't stop progress, otherwise we would still be in caves eating our food raw.

I can't stress strongly enough that I agree with you on this. I'm merely suggesting we all may have a problem because of the spoon people.

Oy, vey. I have no idea if Elon is a pilot or captain (aviation or nautical), but from that perspective, the term "autopilot" is unambiguous. Unfortunately, for the masses, the assumption is that the car is going to drive itself.

In hindsight, the upthread recommendation of "Driver Assist features" probably would have been better. On the other hand, the use of the term "autopilot" helps to have a conversation about the difference between "autopilot" and "autonomous". Pick your poison, evidently.

In the end, any additional features with the current sensor package will be great - I know I'm looking forward to whatever gets released. That said, I also expect an Octoberish announcement for new hardware enhancements in support of *more* autopilot functionality. I choose to view this positively, since it will support a definite next purchase in a year or two in order to benefit from a) a larger battery - either a 95 or a 100, let's say, *plus* the new hardware/autopilot capabilities.

I don't see a downside here. Kinda fun, really.

I don't think it's a problem unique to "Tesla Community".

Humanity in general tends to mess things up and its why we can't have nice things.
Yes. That. Exactly!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, we should probably take away people's freedom to vote or drink what they like or eat what they like or ... because some people have challenges understanding things and making their own choices. No thanks, nanny state.
It's not a matter of nanny state. It's a matter of PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!

You see, this is how a society works. We have to pay for the 1% who ruin it for the rest of us. We have to walk as slow as the slowest of us to keep society moving.

For example, we should all be able to take drugs. But we can't, can we, because Sarah took drugs and stabbed her kids. THANKS SARAH, YOU F'ED IT UP FOR EVERYONE!

Everybody should be able to drive their car as fast as they can do it. But we can't, because Johnathon got drunk and ran over a family. THANKS JOHNATHON, NOW I HAVE TO DRIVE AT 30 YOU F'ING IDIOT!

You see? That's why the Libertarian state doesn't work. Because there's always idiots.

You are all diseased.

- - - Updated - - -

That is truly hilarious. Your friend must get that plate and park one time in front of Canter's Deli in LA (try the pastrami). Oy, gevalt indeed!
Sadly, it's taken already. :-(

- - - Updated - - -

George Carlin!
Well, now I have to get out the Sledge-o-matic and wail on my failing brain. Thanks for the correction. Is it meat or is it cake?

I vividly recall teaching my son how to drive in my car. He was the driver and I was the passenger... I was inwardly always very nervous but tried like heck not to show that to him.
I was never really comfortable if you know what I mean. The car was in the hands of an unknown. He seemed to take too long to apply brakes and when he did he was over aggressive. So that was an experience that I was willing to thrust upon myself but really was quite happy when it was over.

Page forward 15 years.... here we are now.

I view advanced autopilot features much like being in a car with my 16 year old son... except the son is the autopilot.

Will I EVER be calm when the certain auto driving is in the hands of non-redundant sensors and radar? Personally, I think not.
Especially when many of the roads I drive upon daily are single or two lane roads with many blind curves. Rock wall lined.

I have always looked forward to actually driving my cars and being in total control. I find it much fun and that is why I will be buying a P90DL.

If I were a commuter doing regular long trips on highways... I know I would be reconsidering some aspects of autonomous driving.
But based on my use case, my proclivity to drive fast cars and the roads I travel... well... I will be driving those miles. And enjoying every minute of it.