Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I charge my Model S on a generator? (Is that a generator in your frunk?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thread here covers a lot of the topic.

Bottom line is that some generators produce clean enough power, and some generators do not. The cheapie portable units of up to 10 kW are likely not going to have clean enough power. My experience with my home standby 25 kW generator is similar to Nigel's in that it will continue charging. We haven't definitively answered the question whether a small inverter generator will work, with some experiences positive and some negative. One important point is knowing how the system is grounded and bonded, because the Tesla requires a stable ground and the voltage of ungrounded conductors ("hot") must be stable relative to ground.

Thanks FlasherZ, I was wondering about that. I have an 8KW portable generator and it is only for emergency. I haven't use it in more than 5-6 years but It is good to know if I can count on it to charge my Model S. Since it is a Tri-Fuels generator, I will be able to keep it on with my natural gas line and keep it running without having to refill the tank with Gasoline (it is hard to find gas when everyone is also looking for one when blackout, during Hurricane season). I will keep looking to see if anyone have already try out, with results.

Would dropping a suitcase generator in the frunk work?

this I might get flamed a bit for this one ... :smile:

most of my jourrneys will be safely within range, but I was looking a one particular journey I may need to do and it is just in range but .. the road is bad for traffic and what if I get caught in a queue trying to make the supercharger?

Wouldn't be a big deal for me to lob a suitcase generator in the frunk for the odd occasion (you can get some quite decent 3KW ones for not much money and can always make use of it for domestic backup etc the rest of the time).
But would this give me a 10 mile extra insurance against the zero mile conundrum? Anyone actually tried it?

I am unfamiliar with the technology, but would the weight of carrying it around on a trip you might need it basically run down your miles faster so that you are close enough w/ the extra charge compared to the further range if you didn't have it at all?

I think in an emergency the best thing to do is to ask/pay someone to tow you for 10min around xD. With regenerative "breaking" that should give you 10kwh or so, so you'd be good to go for 50km. Cheaper than paying for fancy equipment you also need to carry around. 50km oughta get you to a charger.

This thread had me thinking too. We have a couple battery powered backup UPS devices in our house that our cable model, microcell, and router are plugged into so we still have good Internet & Phone service in case the power goes out. One of those provide those three devices about 2 hours of runtime each if the lights go out. Makes me wonder if I could throw one of those in the back to have on hand in an emergency trip, and get a whopping 2-3 miles after an hour if needed ;-)

Makes me wonder if I could throw one of those in the back to have on hand in an emergency trip, and get a whopping 2-3 miles after an hour if needed ;-)

Try more like 2-3 blocks. Here's the runtime chart for the APC BR1500G UPS I have on my home gear. To get an hour of runtime, you can only draw 120W from the unit. Call it 100 Wh or 0.1 kWh of energy. At 300 Wh/mile for the Model S, that's not much added distance.

Runtime Graph

this I might get flamed a bit for this one ... :smile:

most of my jourrneys will be safely within range, but I was looking a one particular journey I may need to do and it is just in range but .. the road is bad for traffic and what if I get caught in a queue trying to make the supercharger?

Wouldn't be a big deal for me to lob a suitcase generator in the frunk for the odd occasion (you can get some quite decent 3KW ones for not much money and can always make use of it for domestic backup etc the rest of the time).
But would this give me a 10 mile extra insurance against the zero mile conundrum? Anyone actually tried it?

Yes. As you will find on other threads, you can charge from a generator or at least some generators. I have charged just fine on my Honda EU2000i generator at 12-13amps 120Volts. You just need to make a simple plug that bonds neutral to ground and plug that into the unused plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in an emergency the best thing to do is to ask/pay someone to tow you for 10min around xD. With regenerative "breaking" that should give you 10kwh or so, so you'd be good to go for 50km. Cheaper than paying for fancy equipment you also need to carry around. 50km oughta get you to a charger.

That would ruin the car and void the warranty.

I have a 10kw solar system in the home which produces power and makes the meter run backwards when sunny. It makes perfect sense to have a lightweight trailer and tow in back of tesla for long trips even if you are going through desert. At night when there is no sun just go to sleep and regenerate yourself as well. I know tesla does not support having a trailer but I have a prius that I have been towing for years with no problem. According to math done here it is doable plus minus few solar panels and if the inverter that tesla has might be able to be tweaked a bit to accept the solar panel power or you might need another inverter to bypass this but this is another weight and why need two inverters. There aresolar vehicles that have done continental trips in Australia and the good thing about them is if you are stuck in traffic the batteries keep charging. I think the movie martian did it and if we are shooting for the future we have to get all the different energy producing methods in play. For example the auto shows here are a joke compared to the one I saw in China where the car charges itself as soon as you put in a charging mat much like a cell phone without cable. Why not have a tesla charge itself through the road with some type of magnetic mat floor kind a charge as you go. We know the cost but we are talking about future forget space x lets get things done here on earth and I think for the amount of money we spend to send something in mars we can do a freeway with charge able mats and we all get what we want no worry of running out of gas or electric power etc. For me I have a 1993 jeep grand cherokee which is not great in gas but then I tried TDI which is great but I love my electric prius. By the way the prius was made electric plug in way before volt or others by people like me and you in this forum.

For awareness...a few months ago I had my home generator (Generac GP5500) out to test it and replace the fuel. Just for S&G, I plugged the MS in, and it charged without any issues. I just tried it on 120V, so needless to say it would have been painfully slow. I know I've read that there may be issues without having a solid ground connected to the generator, but it didn't seem to mind.

For awareness...a few months ago I had my home generator (Generac GP5500) out to test it and replace the fuel. Just for S&G, I plugged the MS in, and it charged without any issues. I just tried it on 120V, so needless to say it would have been painfully slow. I know I've read that there may be issues without having a solid ground connected to the generator, but it didn't seem to mind.

Interesting use of the old fuel... Better to burn some of it off occasionally than let it sit there unused and not work when you need it. Might as well put that energy to good use, even if just running it for 30 minutes, right?

Interesting use of the old fuel... Better to burn some of it off occasionally than let it sit there unused and not work when you need it. Might as well put that energy to good use, even if just running it for 30 minutes, right?
For sure. I actually siphoned most of it out and put it in my wife's ICE vehicle. Turns out, even though I treated the fuel and had it was supposed to be good for 3 full years, after just two years I ended up with carburetor issues. Just another reason why ICE's days are numbered.