Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping mattress to sleep in Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone has used this product in their Model Y for camping, it's a self-inflating air mattress: link

My family of 2 adults + 1 infant is going car camping and since it might be chilly at night we'll use the car camp mode. I'm debating whether to get the double size (52" width) vs 2 cots size (25" each), but not sure which one will fit inside the car better since the Model Y has a narrow taper towards the trunk (rear wheel well). Any suggestions?

The alternative is to get a mattress specifically cut out for the model Y, but our future plan is to sleep mostly in the tents and not in the car, so wouldn't want something that's single purpose.
I've got the cot size LOSTHORIZON mattress. I also have a rectangular MegaMat Duo. The similar sized LOSTHORIZON is significantly less expensive but it does not compress as much. The difference in cost is commensurate with the difference in comprehensibility.

The compressed MegaMat Duo can fit in the frunk with room for other bedding but I prefer to put food in the frunk and keep the bedding in the back so there is less shuffling around.

The cargo area is only 37" wide:

A 50" wide mattress won't fit there. My rectangular MegaMat Duo is 41" wide and it does fit in the cargo area. BTW: LOSTHORIZON has a mattress designed to fit in the Model Y:

You can even get a version with an electric deflator which I would recommend. Unlike backpacking self-inflating mattresses these larger ones are a struggle to deflate. Bryan Hauer says he can use a standard electric pump to deflate his MegaMat. I wasn't able to do that with the LOSTHORIZON but maybe I missed a trick.

I've got the cot size LOSTHORIZON mattress. I also have a rectangular MegaMat Duo. The similar sized LOSTHORIZON is significantly less expensive but it does not compress as much. The difference in cost is commensurate with the difference in comprehensibility.

The compressed MegaMat Duo can fit in the frunk with room for other bedding but I prefer to put food in the frunk and keep the bedding in the back so there is less shuffling around.

The cargo area is only 37" wide:

A 50" wide mattress won't fit there. My rectangular MegaMat Duo is 41" wide and it does fit in the cargo area. BTW: LOSTHORIZON has a mattress designed to fit in the Model Y:

You can even get a version with an electric deflator which I would recommend. Unlike backpacking self-inflating mattresses these larger ones are a struggle to deflate. Bryan Hauer says he can use a standard electric pump to deflate his MegaMat. I wasn't able to do that with the LOSTHORIZON but maybe I missed a trick.
LostHorizon sent me a little electric pump to test out and, while I like it, by no means would I consider it required. In fact, when we travel, I don't see us using it at all. I read all of the reviews that claimed it was difficult to deflate so I was prepared for it to be very difficult to break down for storage. I was surprised that it was actually quite a bit easier to break down than I had anticipated.

I think the key is to flip the vale so it's able to deflate and then tri-fold it slowly with your one knee on each section for a few seconds before trying to fold the next section. Once you get it tri-folded, just get both knees on it and force much of the air out. Now simply unfold it, fold it in half lengthwise and start rolling it up being sure to use your knee as you go. Using this method I can get it easily rolled back up and back in the storage back with plenty of space left.

I think the compressor is required for the thinner 3" mattresses if you're a larger human being, especially if you sleep on your side and plan to sleep on it solo. The thicker 4.5" version is much better for comfort w/o needing any supplemental inflating for most humans. IMO this is the best thickness and I passed this along to LostHorizon which the implemented in the S/X design.

I think that ultra compression for storage isn't as paramount for this role as it would be for hiking in somewhere and then camping. When we travel we pretty much leave the mattress s/u the entire time and if we do break it down it stowes quite easily w/o using a supplemental inflator/deflator to get every last bit of air out. The difference between the two compressed is probably 10-15% or so. Not really worth the extra effort IMO.

I would be interested to know:
- what type of location do you use for camping or just taking a nap, and
- what kind of experiences (good or bad) or recommendations you may have?
For location we typically find a place w/some sort of plugin as it will decrease the number of Supercharger stops the next day. Often times we'll nap at the Supercharger at the end of the day and set an alarm to wake us to move the car out the charge stall once it's schedule to be charged. These tend to be in well-lit and public places at malls and what not which typically have security patrol and/or police presence. If we go elsewhere we look for like a Walmart, Home Depot or someplace similar. Usually there's lots of RVs and overnight campers present so we just kind of blend in. This is the other reason I prefer the basic black look window covers because we're less obvious if we're in an area that's not prone to campers or overnight guests. We tend to find locations in nicer areas that are well lit. With the window covers it's not a requirement to find a shadowy area which also makes it a little bit safer statistically. As an absolute last resort, my wife and I both have our concealed weapons permits, have trained heavily over the decades and carry while traveling. Odds are pretty solid we'll never need them but it still helps us sleep better at night.

Reactions: Watts_Up
For location we typically find a place w/some sort of plugin as it will decrease the number of Supercharger stops the next day.

Finding a location with restrooms open all the night is certainly one of my major concerns.
I stop in general to rest areas available along major highways and there are several specialized App for finding those.
The main issue is that those are very noisy, been next to the roadway and trucks parked keeping their engine running.
And except few exceptions, there are no public chargers.

This is the other reason I prefer the basic black look window covers because we're less obvious if we're in an area that's not prone to campers or overnight guests.

I use all the time those mesh windows cover when parked and charging.
Those protect from the sun and provide privacy.
The only issue is that they can drop on the floor when opening a door
because the windows are frameless so they cannot be attached to the doors.

As an absolute last resort, my wife and I both have our concealed weapons permits, have trained heavily over the decades and carry while traveling. Odds are pretty solid we'll never need them but it still helps us sleep better at night.

Wow !!! This reminds me the movie Easy Rider.

We now have made 4 separate trips. each lasting 1-2 weeks. We use EXPED beds as well, and this thing really is comfortable. It almost matches the comfort level of our own residential queen sized setup at home. This is the first non-residential setup that doesn't give me back pain after sleeping for more than 8 hours.

Although EXPED is an inflating bed, it has a lot of memory foam in it. I inflate it less than I would with normal inflating mattresses, and it still doesn't bottom out. Took about 5 or 6 nights of sleep to figure out an ideal pressure though.

When I purchased this mattress, the "TXY" version didn't exist, so I have the rectangular version that I need to fold near where the trunk side wells are located but it works fine for us. As a bonus, the width is exactly the width of MY between the rear doors. Nothing drops between the matress and the doors.

I also carry a fridge under the bed, and ventilate as you can see in the picture. 😁

matress.jpg
matress_02.jpg

Reactions: BitJam
I liked my XPED at first, but I find that I don't like any bed that relies on air, there is just too much motion when one of the people moves, disturbing the other person. I am thinking of doing the IKEA queen cut down for an exact fit in the Model Y rather than the twin, but I am torn between the 4 inch Minesund (actually 3 7/8) or the full on 8 inch thick memory foam. The trade off is of course, expense and compressibility for storage. Another option would be a Minesund mattress and Tananger memory foam topper, a bit thinner, a bit cheaper, and probably easier to fold up.

Anyone use an 8" thick memory foam in the back of the Model Y?

Thanks,

Keith

Going to spend 4 days / 3 nights at Yosemite before the weather gets better and the crowds roll in for the spring/summer season. I'll be working about 4 hours a day and hiking/biking the remainder of the time.

I'd really like to sleep in the back of Model Y during this short trip. There are a bewildering number of mattress options out there and I'm just starting my research. Would love recommendations from folks here for a Model Y mattress.

I'm processing all the great info in this thread, but it's 9 months since anyone posted. Anything new since then? I'll post my experience. Thank you!

I did this, this last Fall for an easy one night and mostly as novelty exploration. Just used an inflatable cheap Coleman mattress. The reason I'm writing is to say, pack your stuff outside of the vehicle in a roof top box or something! The hardest part of the whole thing was realizing I need to unpack the entire car to set up the sleeping arrangement and sleep in it, and then somehow pack it all back in.

Reactions: BitJam
I did this, this last Fall for an easy one night and mostly as novelty exploration. Just used an inflatable cheap Coleman mattress. The reason I'm writing is to say, pack your stuff outside of the vehicle in a roof top box or something! The hardest part of the whole thing was realizing I need to unpack the entire car to set up the sleeping arrangement and sleep in it, and then somehow pack it all back in.
Thinking about how to avoid the rooftop box for several reasons I won’t get into. For a short solo trip I should be able to figure it out within the confines of the interior space plus frunk.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
For a short solo trip I should be able to figure it out within the confines of the interior space plus frunk.
Agreed. A cot sized mattress makes it easier. If you go with LOSTHORIZON, consider splurging on their rechargeable inflator/deflator. Deflating those thick self-inflating mattresses is a pain. Especially in the confines of a car. With the deflator, I could imagine deflating it every day to get easier access to the undertrunk.

I ended up putting food and cooking stuff in the frunk. A foldable InstaCrate just fits in there nicely with a little extra space on the side. The mattress and sleeping stuff should go in the back near where they will end up. On my first trip I put the mattress in the frunk which now seems silly.

The Igloo Laguna 48 qt cooler fits really well in the undertrunk (it's recently been on sale at Walmart for $25). It stayed plenty cold for several days in the New Mexico heat using blue ice. I also used cooled thermos bottles filled with ice and water to keep it cool. After two days these were almost solid ice.

I plan to upgrade to a Tesfridge plus Jackery.

Getting to the cold storage in the undertrunk was the least convenient operation. Having a stick to prop the cooler open is a big help.

Reactions: CarPortal
I have a much smaller fridge in the well, bought it well before tight-fitting Tesfridge became available. I'm generally happy with that, except for the size, which I do wish it was bigger. We are beginning to tackle 2+ weeks trips so size is becoming more important.

We use it exclusively as a freezer. We mostly store frozen food but also use it to freeze small water bottles. Then we use those within the rear side wells and keep those areas relatively cool as a poor man's fridge... Sorta works. Obviously no meat products in there.

I wish someone design a fridge with two compartments (fridge + freezer mode) by the time I'm ready to buy a new one... 😁

I wish someone design a fridge with two compartments (fridge + freezer mode) by the time I'm ready to buy a new one... 😁
These exist, but they are large as the ones that work well have 2 separate compartments. All of these are dual zone:

I have this model, which i selected based on size, power efficiency and quiet. This fits well into the back of the Y, lengthwise against the drivers side wheel wheel. That is the side where the 12V outlet is. My Y 12V is really 16V and this fridge is 12/24V and works fine on 16V. The hatch closes and the cooler isn't tall enough to block the view out the rear window. Through the hatch glass, you can read the temperature display while its operating to ensure its still on and keeping temp. The wheels and grab handles make it easier to get in and out of the car without wrecking my back. The double hinged lid is super handy to get to it from either side. It's one of the only models I could find that says it OK to leave it outside in the rain. So at the campsite, it can sit outside the car overnight plugged in to shore power and light rain or snow shouldn't hurt it. It also just fits on the front passenger seat lengthwise. That allows me to bring it into the car overnight when temps outside are well below freezing to keep my food from freezing. This unit has removable power plug on both end of the unit, which is very convenient.

It looks huge. Does it fit inside the well? I carry a fridge all the time in my car, and also need to sleep during trips.
No, doesn't fit in the well. I looked hard at ones that do fit in the well and there were too many negatives for me. Space is an issue and the front trunk is just too small for any reasonable volume (and there is no warranty safe 12V power there). The front trunk also goes below freezing in the winter. The rear subtrunk has more space, but need a unit that is molded to fit that area perfectly to get decent space. Then you have a boutique item with questionable reliability/compressor and moving from the model y to use in another vehicle won't make sense with the awkward shape of the subtrunk. Once camp is setup, there is a mattress on top which blocks airflow and makes accessing the fridge difficult while outside the car and impossible while on the mattress.

For sleeping during the trip, the fridge goes outside the car overnight if it won't go below freezing overnight. Alternatively, it fits in the front passenger seat inside the car. That way it can be accessed while in the car and powered from the 12V socket in the center console.

No, doesn't fit in the well. I looked hard at ones that do fit in the well and there were too many negatives for me. Space is an issue and the front trunk is just too small for any reasonable volume (and there is no warranty safe 12V power there). The front trunk also goes below freezing in the winter. The rear subtrunk has more space, but need a unit that is molded to fit that area perfectly to get decent space. Then you have a boutique item with questionable reliability/compressor and moving from the model y to use in another vehicle won't make sense with the awkward shape of the subtrunk. Once camp is setup, there is a mattress on top which blocks airflow and makes accessing the fridge difficult while outside the car and impossible while on the mattress.

For sleeping during the trip, the fridge goes outside the car overnight if it won't go below freezing overnight. Alternatively, it fits in the front passenger seat inside the car. That way it can be accessed while in the car and powered from the 12V socket in the center console.
For us, I bought a smaller unit (with tiny compartment) so that we can do exactly what you described above - sleep while fridge is operating below the mattress. The trunk cover is slightly open towards the rear by about one inch and that seems to be enough to not overheat the fridge. We tried sleeping in this setup both during the summer and winter. No issues so far, at least as heat goes.

Accessing the fridge is reasonable too, since the mattress is kinda hybrid of air and memory foam. Almost feels too saggy until both of us are on it, then it feels about right without bottoming out. Because it is saggy when no one is on it, it is relatively easy to life the rear portion up to access what's underneath, including the fridge.

For us, I bought a smaller unit (with tiny compartment) so that we can do exactly what you described above - sleep while fridge is operating below the mattress. The trunk cover is slightly open towards the rear by about one inch and that seems to be enough to not overheat the fridge. We tried sleeping in this setup both during the summer and winter. No issues so far, at least as heat goes.

Accessing the fridge is reasonable too, since the mattress is kinda hybrid of air and memory foam. Almost feels too saggy until both of us are on it, then it feels about right without bottoming out. Because it is saggy when no one is on it, it is relatively easy to life the rear portion up to access what's underneath, including the fridge.
That sounds like a great setup.

I've been bunking in my cars, and other places for years. Rest Areas are good. >40 years Never had a problem. I've just pulled off "No Services This Exit" and then just pulled off the road. No problem. Women of course won't be so bold. If you even think some creep... find some place like a police station. Many times women have parked next to me at Rest Stops. Always welcome. My hair's been gray since I was 40. Guess I look safe.
Don't just pull off onto the shoulder of an Interstate, get well off the pavement. Don't leave your lights on - drunks steer towards lights. This is the only way the police will ever take any interest.

Here's a few tips. Darkness. Just put a black t-shirt over your eyes. Better than any window covering, eye mask, etc... I don't have window coverings in my Y nor in my bedroom. I've slept like this for years, on trains, airplanes, etc.. Try to sleep on your side, you're less likely to snore which means you get a better night's sleep.

Being able to fall asleep. I once lived directly above a discotheque. After 6 months I could sleep through anything -- and have, and liked it. (being flipped like a burger for three months crossing an ocean in a slamming catamaran? Loved it.)
If you miss a night's sleep, do not nap, just go to bed in the same set up the next night. Missing a night then staying awake you can sleep anywhere. (You get up at 6 am, drive your first leg, try to fall asleep, can't, next day.... then at 9 pm you try to go to sleep. So that's 39 hours. Maybe people should practice this at home. Loud bad disco, sub woofer... Once I could sleep through that Disco, I never had to re-learn.

But be careful driving. If you're driving and feel sleepy, 45 minutes kip in the driver's seat and usually you're good for another 4 - 6 hours. If you get the 'nods'? Pull over immediately and get some sleep. No one who's chin drops and then pops up again has any idea how long they were out. We think it's a second, it's usually more; it could be ten minutes.
Now back to trying to figure out which inflatable mattress is best for my Model Y.