Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calculate real range - km?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I am a new Tesla owner and is the first EV I own. I have read a lot on the real range that Tesla can obtain, but I can't find a tutorial or guide on how to calculate the real range.

So far I drove 1000km on my M3H LR and I would like to check what was my real life range in this period.

A bunch of people recommend to check the energy diagram for that, but is there a guide on how to calculate based on what is shown there?

Thanks in advance.

The trip meters will show the total energy that was spent while in Drive and the average consumption for those drives. That will help you understand the energy that's required to drive around, do road trips etc. What's not counted is all the energy that's spent the rest of the time: not driving. This includes standby "drain", heating/cooling the cabin before departure, potentially including some conditioning of the battery in the cold etc... You would see how that energy was spend in some of the tabs of the energy graph.

Nothing will give you a precise value that works all the time because the conditions change too much. Not including the energy you spent when parked, major factors that influence energy expense in drive are:
- your speed (Main factor)
- exterior temperature (fairly cold or fairly hot)
- wind (headwind bad, tailwind good)
- hills going up (although you gain most back when going down)
- rain or snow on the road augments consumption
- tires and their pressure, climate setting, many other smaller things...

My personal rule of thumb is I get 80% of the rated range in summer (I drive as if it was a normal car) and 55-60% of rated range in winter (below freezing, snow etc) on my 2020 model 3 LR AWD. You have a heat pump so your winter range should be slightly better, and you'll get better results if you don't go as fast as me. If I drive on a back road at 80kph in fair weather I can get 100% of rated range.

Last edited: