Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac ELR (Converj)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) In EV mode, 0-60 in 6.5 seconds; in Extended Range mode, 0-60 in 5.5 seconds

I still maintain this is key. People expect luxury cars to have better performance than their non-luxury counterparts, and that goes double for coupes. Unless they can achieve that I think the market will be continue to be very limited. I would consider the above specs to be reasonable, anything slower is not.

Since the Volt is going to be entirely overhauled for '16, it's hard to imagine GM will ship the '16 ELR with anything less than those changes. It's also hard to imagine it will be much more.

You'd be ok with paying more to have worse electric range than the Volt?
Yes, if the extra battery was used towards improving performance and providing power for things like cooled front seats and the extra weight of additional sound insulation.

Anyway, I really don't expect the Volt to get much better than 45 miles per charge before the range extender kicks in. I think people quoting 60 miles per charge are dreaming.

Yes, if the extra battery was used towards improving performance and providing power for things like cooled front seats and the extra weight of additional sound insulation.

Anyway, I really don't expect the Volt to get much better than 45 miles per charge before the range extender kicks in. I think people quoting 60 miles per charge are dreaming.

Ok, I guess I should have worded it differently. You'd be ok with the ELR having a smaller battery than the Volt and still cost more money? You just said you want 17.1kWh even though the Volt is rumored to have 19.2kWh.

If the Volt really has a 19.2kWh battery, though, I don't see why 60 miles electric is unreasonable. That comes out to only 320Wh/mi. You could probably round that down to 300Wh/mi after taking any reserves into consideration. That should be pretty easy to attain, especially when bigger, heavier cars like the Model S can beat that. I'm averaging 292Wh/mi over the life of my car so far.

Last edited:
Ok, I guess I should have worded it differently. You'd be ok with the ELR having a smaller battery than the Volt and still cost more money? You just said you want 17.1kWh even though the Volt is rumored to have 19.2kWh.

If the Volt really has a 19.2kWh battery, though, I don't see why 60 miles electric is unreasonable.
I think you are neglecting to factor in the buffer. Currently the Volt has a 16.5kWh battery with 38 miles AER. So even in the best case the battery is 1.164x, or ~44 miles of range using the same buffer.

Also I think his 17.1kWh is referencing the other rumored figure for the 2015 Volt battery capacity.

I think the fact that we didn't even hear a whisper today about the ELR tells us everything we need to know about the likelihood of those "engineering enhancements" being anything significant. Cadillac's silence seems to scream, "we put the 2015 Volt battery in the 2016 ELR and changed the crest a little bit."

I was blinded by the beauty of the ELR, which made me miss the poorly-designed details that have ruined the car for me. Little things, like the seat belts locking up at even the slightest jostling which make them very uncomfortable; or big things like the sluggish and poorly designed C.U.E. system. My ELR has also developed creaks, rattles, and other noises that the dealership is unable to resolve. And the car's price dropped 25% just five months after I got it. I'm pretty sure I've listed all my complaints elsewhere in this thread, and also on GM-Volt.com and CadillacForums.com.

I really can't wait for my Model X. This latest delay is painful.

I think the fact that we didn't even hear a whisper today about the ELR tells us everything we need to know about the likelihood of those "engineering enhancements" being anything significant. Cadillac's silence seems to scream, "we put the 2015 Volt battery in the 2016 ELR and changed the crest a little bit."
The more likely story that has now been leaked is that the 2016 ELR was scheduled to include an early version of GM's Super Cruise highway autonomous driving feature and they are running behind schedule on integrating it into the ELR.

Looks like the ELR may be finished:

GM to splurge $12 billion to fund new Cadillac models by 2020

"Cadillac will add two SUVs below the size of the SRX and one above it. GM, based in Detroit, is also planning a large flagship car for Cadillac. There is no immediate plan for a new ELR, which is a plug-in hybrid that runs using an electric drive system similar to the Chevrolet Volt. Cadillac would also like an all-electric car, but nothing is planned yet."

"Cadillac will add two SUVs below the size of the SRX and one above it. GM, based in Detroit, is also planning a large flagship car for Cadillac. There is no immediate plan for a new ELR, which is a plug-in hybrid that runs using an electric drive system similar to the Chevrolet Volt. Cadillac would also like an all-electric car, but nothing is planned yet."

Sad because it looks like they are back to business per the old GM...just build more SUV's. It's too bad because the ELR had a lot of potential to be a good car if they put some time and effort into the project.

There is supposedly going to be a plugin powertrain option for the new large Cadillac CT6 sedan but little is known about the details (battery size, motor kW etc.). The CT6 itself has not been officially revealed although it is listed on Cadillac's website as a future car. It is supposed to be GM's first car to utilize a new set of body materials and design techniques for weight reduction that they plan to start using in some new vehicle designs (maybe including the Bolt).

With low gasoline prices, bigger, heavier cars are a lot more attractive to GM and the car buyers, particularly because they are much more profitable.

Now, I'm sure there will be some tree-hugger out there who will point out that planning on low gasoline prices for the next 5-10 years may not make much sense, but maybe that's why you're not head of GM!

There is supposedly going to be a plugin powertrain option for the new large Cadillac CT6 sedan but little is known about the details (battery size, motor kW etc.). The CT6 itself has not been officially revealed although it is listed on Cadillac's website as a future car. It is supposed to be GM's first car to utilize a new set of body materials and design techniques for weight reduction that they plan to start using in some new vehicle designs (maybe including the Bolt).

Yes the next CT6 will be a plug in but we are not sure if they will also offer a plug in version as well.
also by 2020 BMW 10, M
ercedes 10, hyundai 12, Chrysler 2, the last 2 i got the numbers 100% correct i may be off one with BMW/MB
thats how many plug in models they will have so unless caddy decides to offer plug-ins on most of there models they will be left behind.

its a shame about the ELR, but 5 years from now is 2020 so i hope we see a long range electric vehicle come from cadillac

If they had done something like BMW did and put CF reinforced plastic on at least a few panels or worked to reduce weight couldn't they have gotten better range with same old platform?

I'm not understanding what the problem is - the ELR it gets 35-40 Miles on a charge - the average commute for 80% of the average US drivers is less than 40 miles so it would seem the ELR is right in the target for most users. The real beauty is you can plug it into a 110 v outlet and the next morning your ready to go again. A lot of ELR users like Volt owners seldom put gas in the cars!

Regards

Mike