Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac ELR (Converj)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cadillac hasn't been relevant in the high end luxury sedan market in decades. That was the point. Nobody thinks they are cool anymore and this lame ass attempt at an EV is not doing anything to change that. They simply built another over priced car that nobody wants.

Wasn't my point sir as i could careless about their EVR. The point was cadillac/tesla attract pretty similar age groups and have similar ages of owners.
thanks!

Last edited:
Ok. Guess the 600 miles in a day I drove a few weeks ago with part of trip up 6000 ft of elevation doesn't count. Brilliant.

It certainly counts. Now. Describe the planning, the out-of-car efforts and the trip itself. How many supercharger stops did you make? How long did it take to charge to your planned level? Were the superchargers on your actual trip path or did you deviate?

Last edited:
It certainly counts. Now. Describe the planning, the out-of-car efforts and the trip itself. How many supercharger stops did you make? How long did it take to charge to your planned level? Were the superchargers on your actual trip path or did you deviate?

If your trip was via planned and well located superchargers, congratulations...you represent less than 20% of the US where that can be done.

I stopped at 5 Superchargers. Some were only 100 miles apart. I actually don't like driving more than 2 hours without a 10 min break anyway so a few 30 min stops for free fuel is fine with me. If you're someone who takes 5 min breaks every 300 miles and drives 800 miles in a day this certainly isn't the car for you. There is no one perfect car for everyone. If there was, we wouldn't have so many different kinds of vehicles (sedans, roadsters, pickup trucks, vans....etc)! I drove 1,600 miles and didn't spend a dime on fuel. That's worth a few longer stops. It might not be for you. See, I only do maybe one of these kinds of trips a year. Would usually fly outside of 6-8 hours of driving. Other people are different and that's fine. For 99% of the rest of my driving it is under 265 miles so I almost never have to charge in a normal day.

I stayed on I5 entire route. Yes the Supercharger rollout is still early. Do you think gas stations popped up instantly 100 years ago or did it maybe take time to build that network out? The ELR is a great car if you don't have five people in your family, it is your only car and your commute is less than 40 miles in a day. If that fits your congratulations.

I stopped at 5 Superchargers. Some were only 100 miles apart. I actually don't like driving more than 2 hours without a 10 min break anyway so a few 30 min stops for free fuel is fine with me. If you're someone who takes 5 min breaks every 300 miles and drives 800 miles in a day this certainly isn't the car for you. There is no one perfect car for everyone. If there was, we wouldn't have so many different kinds of vehicles (sedans, roadsters, pickup trucks, vans....etc)! I drove 1,600 miles and didn't spend a dime on fuel. That's worth a few longer stops. It might not be for you. See, I only do maybe one of these kinds of trips a year. Would usually fly outside of 6-8 hours of driving. Other people are different and that's fine. For 99% of the rest of my driving it is under 265 miles so I almost never have to charge in a normal day.

I stayed on I5 entire route. Yes the Supercharger rollout is still early. Do you think gas stations popped up instantly 100 years ago or did it maybe take time to build that network out? The ELR is a great car if you don't have five people in your family, it is your only car and your commute is less than 40 miles in a day. If that fits your congratulations.

Thanks for taking the time to describe your trip. It still takes you a lot longer (what was your average driving speed?) and involves a lot more drama when the S moves outside its comfort zone. Whereas you seem to enjoy a more peaceful trip with multiple/longer duration stops I have always been one that wants to get to my destination in a bit "quicker" manner. I have other cars besides the ELR, my family is larger than five people and my commute is actually about 60+ miles per day including trips outside the office. Basically, after experiencing both cars I decided on the ELR because it fit my lifestyle much better than the S did and it did it with a lot less drama. As a point of reference, 2 weeks after I bought the ELR my business partner passed away suddenly and I needed to drive from DFW to Camden, Arkansas for family and the service. The S would not have made it without a lot of drama in the planning and execution of the trip. I was happy with the performance of the ELR and its "lack of drama".

The Model S is a fine car, it is certainly not the best choice out there for the masses nor is it the worst. I will continue to enjoy mine and I hope that you do the same with yours.

I will. Thanks and glad you are enjoying the ELR. They did a great job with the interior from what I've seen.

There really isn't any drama with the Model S. Average speed was 65-70 mph. Sounds like you have two cars in the family with more than 5 people. You could always take the other car for those emergency trips. If argue the Model S is a better car for you. Covers your daily commute with 200 miles to spare all in EV mode and you can pick up one extra passenger all with better performance. If the ELR was your only car or you did 300 mile business trips on a routine basis then yes, the ELR is better.

Spotted another ELR in the wild today... sort of... it was at the mall:

IMG_1991.JPG

You've obviously also never driven the ELR based on your vacuous statement. There's more to refined driving than just getting to the next stoplight 3 seconds faster than the car next you. For example, in my ELR, I almost never touch the accelerator or brakes because the car drives itself with the full-range Adaptive Cruise Control that the Model S doesn't have at any price.
That sounds absolutely horrible, like a taxi. No thank you. I like to actually drive my cars.

Now that Tesla has announced it's own "taxi service" (i.e., AutoPilot) for the Model S, I bet rolosrevenge suddenly considers Adaptive Cruise Control the most amazing, must-have feature! If so, it would be a typical response that I see often from other Tesla owners: disparaging another car manufacturer's features that the Model S is missing... until the Model S has them, at which point said features become essential and the best thing since sliced bread. (I saw the same thing in the discussions a while back when the parking sonar was missing then added.)

Cadillac hasn't been relevant in the high end luxury sedan market in decades. That was the point. Nobody thinks they are cool anymore and this lame ass attempt at an EV is not doing anything to change that. They simply built another over priced car that nobody wants.

I bet all those movie stars, rappers, businessmen, etc. who bought (and are still buying) the Escalade sure didn't think Cadillac wasn't cool anymore. And if you think the ELR isn't cool, then you're about as hip as my 87-year-old grandfather! Tesla wishes the Model S looked as amazing as an ELR! lol.

I bet all those movie stars, rappers, businessmen, etc. who bought (and are still buying) the Escalade sure didn't think Cadillac wasn't cool anymore. And if you think the ELR isn't cool, then you're about as hip as my 87-year-old grandfather! Tesla wishes the Model S looked as amazing as an ELR! lol.

The Escalade is not a luxury sedan. It is a humongous gas guzzling pos though. If you are so hot for the ELR, I'm sure there are Cadillac forums you could be posting on, instead of trolling here.

One post moved to snippiness. Let's raise the level of dialogue here -- and please no more "Your grandfather!" references?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the pics. The car is a looker IMO.

Frankly I was very very surprised to see one. I didn't think real people actually bought this car LOL.

Seriously though I just can't justify the price. Maybe if it was $40k cheaper. Needs to be taken down to the price of the volt since that's basically what it is. It shouldn't be in the same price category as the MS and we all know that.

The Escalade is not a luxury sedan. It is a humongous gas guzzling pos though. If you are so hot for the ELR, I'm sure there are Cadillac forums you could be posting on, instead of trolling here.

I guess you've never driven one or ridden in it. Judging by your "humongous gas guzzling pos" comment, though, your bias is obvious. But we all know the day Tesla releases its humongous BEV SUV you're going to change your tune and sing the praises of large vehicles.

Seriously though I just can't justify the price. Maybe if it was $40k cheaper. Needs to be taken down to the price of the volt since that's basically what it is. It shouldn't be in the same price category as the MS and we all know that.

As if the Model S isn't overpriced for what it delivers! Still, people buy it. And people are buying the ELR. And people are buying the BMW i8. And certain people even waste their money on Lamborghinis.

Some people have lots of money and like spending it on overpriced toys, and both Tesla and Cadillac know that. The rich people who want a BEV get a Tesla, the rich people who want a PHEV get an ELR, and the rich people who want a cramped death trap buy a Lamborghini!

^^^^^ just a note agree with 90% of what you said although if buying a 3-4 year old exotic (lambo/ferrari) you'll lose less money % wise than buying a new MS/ELR/ESCALADE
After the initial steep depreciation, 3-4 year old EXOTICS hold value very well.

Now that Tesla has announced it's own "taxi service" (i.e., AutoPilot) for the Model S, I bet rolosrevenge suddenly considers Adaptive Cruise Control the most amazing, must-have feature! If so, it would be a typical response that I see often from other Tesla owners: disparaging another car manufacturer's features that the Model S is missing... until the Model S has them, at which point said features become essential and the best thing since sliced bread. (I saw the same thing in the discussions a while back when the parking sonar was missing then added.)

Really? I always got the impression that the consensus on this forum was that this is the area Tesla was severely lagging behind other premium brands. Driving on the freeway isn't particularly exciting and it's an area where I'd love to have more autonomy. Does anybody actually find freeway driving exciting enough that they'd prefer to have the controls if the option for autonomy were there?

No offense, but Cadillacs styling in general does nothing for me. I don't find the ELR attractive at all. I think the new Ford Fusion looks better, to be honest. For the record, I don't care for the Model X design all that much either.

As if the Model S isn't overpriced for what it delivers! Still, people buy it. And people are buying the ELR. And people are buying the BMW i8. And certain people even waste their money on Lamborghinis.
*Are* people buying the ELR? Last I heard, they had about two years worth of inventory. Have they finally started selling in the last few months?

Some people have lots of money and like spending it on overpriced toys, and both Tesla and Cadillac know that. The rich people who want a BEV get a Tesla, the rich people who want a PHEV get an ELR, and the rich people who want a cramped death trap buy a Lamborghini!
Here in Norway, it isn't the rich that are buying the Model S. People who buy the Model S are people who otherwise would have bought entry-level (or used) Audis and BMWs, as well as more regular cars like Passats, Accords, Avensis, etc.

If the ELR, Lamborghinis and the Model S cost $30k, I think we all know what most people would be buying. They would be buying the Model S, because it is spacious and cheap to drive. The ELR is too small and impractical, and the Lamborghinis even more so. Yes, the Model S is currently expensive, but the price tag doesn't make it a toy. The Model S is the only car you need for a sizable family.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm one of those people who have talked down various features offered by other car companies. I still think ACC, lane departure warning, speed assist, blindspot assist, autobraking, etc are unnecessary. For me, personally. My previous car didn't even have ESP or TC, and I never missed them.

However, as an investor, I certainly appreciate that Tesla is always trying to meet customer expectations. There's certainly a market for such extras, and it's certainly a good idea to tap into that market as Tesla becomes more and more established.

I guess you've never driven one or ridden in it. Judging by your "humongous gas guzzling pos" comment, though, your bias is obvious. But we all know the day Tesla releases its humongous BEV SUV you're going to change your tune and sing the praises of large vehicles.

If imagine the Model X would have an efficiency rating (mpge) maybe ten times the Escalade though. People won't be complaining.

Overpriced is an opinion. The market seems to disagree with that assessment about the Model S and ELR.

Last edited:
OK, so now my Model X has been delayed yet again.

So since I'm fed up with my 2014 ELR, perhaps it's time to hope that a 2016 ELR will pacify me while I wait for Elon to perfect his masterpiece. It's only money, right? :wink:

The 2016 Cadillac ELR is slated to be unveiled at the Los Angeles Auto Show next week. (As previously reported, Cadillac is skipping the 2015 model year because it's going to take until the release of the 2016 model to unload all the 2014 inventory still sitting on dealer lots.)

It's expected that the 2016 ELR will have the same base price as the 2014 ELR, namely $75,000 plus a $995 delivery charge. Considering that the 2014 ELR required discounts of up to $25,000 to move a majority of those cars, what would the 2016 ELR need to have to convince people (that is, non Tesla fanboys) to buy it at full price?

Here's my own list of realistic (?) upgrades that might convince me to trade in my 2014 model for the new 2016 ELR:

1) In EV mode, 0-60 in 6.5 seconds; in Extended Range mode, 0-60 in 5.5 seconds
2) Sport+ Mode that combines Hold mode with Sport mode in order to achieve faster acceleration before the battery is depleted
3) Cooled front seats
4) A 17.1 kWh battery (or better, since a 19.2 kWh battery is rumored for the Gen II Volt) for 39-45 average miles of electric-only range
5) A quieter (or better sound insulated) range extender engine (preferably the 1.5-liter 4-cylinder engine being used in the Gen II Volt?)
6) All the sluggishness, bugs, illogical interface issues, music track sorting problems, and annoyances with the C.U.E. system resolved
7) Includes a setting to disable the vehicle's intrusive and irritating "vehicle left on" triple-honk (also know as the "vehicle has been remote started for preconditioning and you opened and closed the trunk or passenger door" alert), just as the 2014 ELR allows the driver to disable the similar "keyfob left in vehicle" alert.
8) A reverse camera that doesn't look like a 75% Gaussian blur has been applied to the image at night, and one that displays at full illumination even when the illumination control thumbwheel is dialed all the way down for normal driving
9) Ability of the illumination control thumbwheel to dial down the brightness of the center stack display at night by an additional 50% of what is possible in the too-bright 2015 ELR
10) Ability to manually enable the illumination control thumbwheel on dim, cloudy days that aren't quite dark enough to switch the car to night mode
11) All the various little vehicle annoyances that add up to be frustrating in general, such as doors that won't let the driver or passenger exit without first pressing the unlock button, a passenger door sill that always blocks a portion of the driver's view of the side mirror, the inability to adjust the rearview mirror without a portion of the view being blocked by the overhead console, etc.
12) A hatchback instead of a trunk.
13) All Wheel Drive, or at least Rear-Wheel Drive (as unlikely as both are)

Naturally, if none of the above "engineering enhancements" are included in the 2016 model, and Cadillac inexplicably refuses to budge on the base price, then look for a continuation of those steep $25k discounts a few months after the 2016 goes on sale!

Considering the economics of upgrading a car that will sell maybe 2000 units per year, I would expect the 2016 ELR to have:

1) the same gorgeous body, with the same small trunk and backseat and 300 lb weight penalty (compared to the Volt)
2) the same battery and Powertrain as the new 2016 Volt.
3) some, but not all, of the CUE interface bugs fixed
4) about the same final transaction price after rebates

GSP