Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV/Caprool NOA Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm running 2020.36.10 HW3 with "green light chime" on and "stay in passing lane" on, and wondering if anybody else has this issue or if there is a known fix for it. Tried a hard reset (steering wheel + brake) a couple times with no resolve.

I have the same daily commute on the 405 FWY from LA/OC and only as of this update have been having issues where NOA tries to make erratic and erroneous lane changes out of and into the HOV lane. For example, I will merge onto the freeway and make my way over manually into the carpool. I will engage NOA and moments later the car tries to either signal out of the HOV lane to the right lane or wants to keep merging left into a nonexistent lane even though I'm right up against the center divider. I have to persistently cancel the lane change 4 or 5 times to get it to stop and then on the next HOV lane break a 1/4 mile down it'll try to do the same thing. The car usually stays put after the second attempt to merge out of the lane.

This is why I don't generally use Navigate on Autopilot. Also turn off automatic lane change for passing slow cars. I haven't tried it lately, but I previously found the car will signal to change lanes into or out of the HOV lane, but won't actually go while the lane marker is solid.

Do note, there's a setting to allow Carpool lane use, which I find when under NoAP, will try to stay in the HOV lane for way too long, causing the car to try to get from the far left of the 405 to the right to make the 101 N exit in a bit under 1 mile in heavy traffic across way too many lanes.

NOA tries to make erratic and erroneous lane changes out of and into the HOV lane. For example, I will merge onto the freeway and make my way over manually into the carpool. I will engage NOA and moments later the car tries to either signal out of the HOV lane to the right lane or wants to keep merging left into a nonexistent lane even though I'm right up against the center divider. I have to persistently cancel the lane change 4 or 5 times to get it to stop and then on the next HOV lane break a 1/4 mile down it'll try to do the same thing. The car usually stays put after the second attempt to merge out of the lane.

can't believe you are only seeing this now... I've been driving between LA and OC off and on for 1.5 years in my M3 up and down the 5/405. Never gets it right. In Santa Fe Springs area, it randomly jumps on the surface street and slams on the brakes.. last time I drover there it just turned of NoA on its own in that area.

Further down in OC, it does just was you said, gets out then right back in to the HOV lane - it will just keep doing this over and over for a few miles if I let it. Signals as though it thinks there's another lane to the left, but it's already against the jersey barrier, etc.

Like I said.. being doing this in some form or another on the 5/405 since I got the car in Jan 2019.

You would think that Tesla has more info on this stretch of road than any other in the US.

Thanks for the inputs/confirmation. Agreed that Tesla should have at least the 405 fwy down 100%. It's a pretty basic single carpool lane freeway.

I've seen others post about the 405 lane change issue but it seemed to have been fixed earlier this year, unless I've just been lucky. I haven't had a single issue on it since March/April and only now all of a sudden the morning after 2020.36.10 I'm getting these weird lane changes. If it did get confused and wanted to signal left when already in the HOV lane, I did notice in the past that as soon as the diamond lane marking appears on screen the signaling stops and no longer persists. Doesn't do that anymore. I've driven 12K miles since March and this issue was a rare occurrence until now so thought it was odd that now it happens every single time I engage NOA in a HOV lane.