Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Forum Members

Newbie here starting the journey doing the figures and tons of research like most of you have probably done already....

The situation - I have currently paid off my Lexus NX300 Hybrid which is worth about £20K

I was waiting for the Model Y to launch and to either sell my NX and put that forward as a deposit and I was starting to see that if my existing Car was a Tesla I would be making savings each month on fuel as I currently am reimbursed 45p from work with no car allowance so from what I understand after I get a Tesla that 45p per mile will continue and I will suffer Tax on the overage over 45p for the first 10k and 25p thereafter.

I was speaking to my brother and he suggested getting a used Tesla prior to getting a Model Y and at first I thought no way but the more I have thought about it the more feasible I becomes....

I have found a Model S 100D 2017 Plate for around £48K I it looks like that the monthly cost in PCP may well be the same as the cost to fill up my NX

Can you make any recommendations or tips on things to consider just in case I am missing anything

I gather that the Supercharging for Free would not be included as its only for the original purchaser of the vehicle?
I've not factored servicing into the equation but currently I pay around £400 per service

I was thinking of buying a home charger with the highest KW I can get on a single phased supply to charge overnight on a lower charge with British Gas Electric Vehicles Owner Tariff.

Probably the longest journey I would be have to do regularly is around 90 miles each way with the occasional 120 mile each way journey to the south coast.

Any big negatives that anyone can think of with buying a 2017 plate instaed of sticking with what I have until the Model Y is available?

Thanks

Bobby

Buying a used Model S will save you quite a bit of cash as a 2017 100D has depreciated significantly from new. The downside to it from a technology perspective is that the Model S charges slower, has a slower central screen (MCU1 vs MCU2), and depending on the build date would have an older version of AutoPilot which will not get all the updates that Model Y gets.

If you are ok with major technological cons, you will not regret buying a Model S over a Model Y - the style, comfort etc are on another level. It is a big car however and that may or may or not be a challenge considering that you live in the UK where roads (other than the Motorway) are more suited for smaller cars.

Reactions: chronoreverse
Great tip on the slower charging - The economy rates are from midnight to 5am so maybe that could cost quite a bit more than I have factored.
Does anyone have any experience of charge times and cost from 20% to 90% on a Model S 2017?

As for the Tech - Its something I love and always want the latest - I even Beta tests for various products but budgets wont allow me to go crazy on the stop gap car. - I was originally just thinking save save save with little outgoings and put it towards a new Tesla but the thought of getting one sooner is very appealing.

Great tip on the slower charging - The economy rates are from midnight to 5am so maybe that could cost quite a bit more than I have factored.
Does anyone have any experience of charge times and cost from 20% to 90% on a Model S 2017?

As for the Tech - Its something I love and always want the latest - I even Beta tests for various products but budgets wont allow me to go crazy on the stop gap car. - I was originally just thinking save save save with little outgoings and put it towards a new Tesla but the thought of getting one sooner is very appealing.
My slower charging comment just applies to when you're charging at a supercharger. Its not applicable to charging when you're at home as that is just based on the charger you get (wall charger) or if you use the higher voltage plug with the cable to charge the car using the onboard charger.

Reactions: F@kegman
There is dedicated UK section here if you need much better results, options that @SilverGS is explaining is that each car comes with UMC that can give low charging speed, from common mains on household wall. That HPWC (sold separately) gives speed up to the household maximum power rate.
The UK and Ireland
Great stuff thanks for your help - I will re post on the UK & Ireland and see what people say

I just did this exact thing. I had a model Y order and ended up buying a used Tesla 2017 75s. I owned a model 3 for almost 3 years. I can confirm the S is a bit bigger but not an issue. If you’re getting a 2017 you’ll have autopilot 2.0 or 2.5 all which can be upgraded (so you’re “future proof”). You can upgrade the main console unit at some point as well if you’d like. The interior of the S is an upgrade from the model 3 but it does have less overall front storage (no side door pouch). Any questions you can think of that I missed?

Reactions: F@kegman
I just did this exact thing. I had a model Y order and ended up buying a used Tesla 2017 75s. I owned a model 3 for almost 3 years. I can confirm the S is a bit bigger but not an issue. If you’re getting a 2017 you’ll have autopilot 2.0 or 2.5 all which can be upgraded (so you’re “future proof”). You can upgrade the main console unit at some point as well if you’d like. The interior of the S is an upgrade from the model 3 but it does have less overall front storage (no side door pouch). Any questions you can think of that I missed?
That’s great do you think I’d be disappointed with a model Y after having a S 100D for a year ? Also how easy is it to part exchange a used Tesla when buying a new one?

I put my 2 cents as I have a 2017 S75D (HW2.5), my father a S 100D (HW2) and my brother/cousin both a Model 3.
First, a Model Y in Europe will not be available before reasonably 9-12 months I guess.
Second, without EAP, you are for a 72-75k€ bill if you want a Model Y with the paint of your choice and FSD (as there is no middle ground).

I just upgraded to MCU2 (coming also with the HW3 installation) -2500€- and the difference with MCU1 is enormous (speed, functionality). It means that for 2500k€, on a Model S, you pretty much bring it very close to 2020 Tesla level.
Sure, there is not the adaptive suspension (but Y and 3 even does not have Air suspension, even less adaptive) and you do not have one Reluctance Motor (like the 3, Y and new S and X) which is more efficient (ang giving you one pedal driving until complete stop).
But otherwise, you have pretty much everything. And obviously a S 100D do have more range than a 3 and even more obviously than a Y LR.
So if you can have a
  • S 100D of 2017 with H2 or 2.5 (main difference is swich from Bosch to Continental radar)
  • with Enhanced AP
for less than 70k€, you just have to pay for the MCU2 upgrade and you have a car which is every bit as good or better than a 3 or Y to come (air suspension, a little bit nicer interior, more range, still warranty left from the 8 years unlimited mileage warranty on motor/battery, free supercharging).
Even a S75D, if you are not doing a lot of long trip (although I do 42'000km/year with my S 75D so it is fine as well for it) could be enough.

So yes, the question is not black or white at all. And this is thanks to MCU2 upgrade possibility + firware OTA updates which blurry the lines much more.

I put my 2 cents as I have a 2017 S75D (HW2.5), my father a S 100D (HW2) and my brother/cousin both a Model 3.
First, a Model Y in Europe will not be available before reasonably 9-12 months I guess.
Second, without EAP, you are for a 72-75k€ bill if you want a Model Y with the paint of your choice and FSD (as there is no middle ground).

I just upgraded to MCU2 (coming also with the HW3 installation) -2500€- and the difference with MCU1 is enormous (speed, functionality). It means that for 2500k€, on a Model S, you pretty much bring it very close to 2020 Tesla level.
Sure, there is not the adaptive suspension (but Y and 3 even does not have Air suspension, even less adaptive) and you do not have one Reluctance Motor (like the 3, Y and new S and X) which is more efficient (ang giving you one pedal driving until complete stop).
But otherwise, you have pretty much everything. And obviously a S 100D do have more range than a 3 and even more obviously than a Y LR.
So if you can have a
  • S 100D of 2017 with H2 or 2.5 (main difference is swich from Bosch to Continental radar)
  • with Enhanced AP
for less than 70k€, you just have to pay for the MCU2 upgrade and you have a car which is every bit as good or better than a 3 or Y to come (air suspension, a little bit nicer interior, more range, still warranty left from the 8 years unlimited mileage warranty on motor/battery, free supercharging).
Even a S75D, if you are not doing a lot of long trip (although I do 42'000km/year with my S 75D so it is fine as well for it) could be enough.

So yes, the question is not black or white at all. And this is thanks to MCU2 upgrade possibility + firware OTA updates which blurry the lines much more.
Thank you for the extra knowledge- reading this advert spec is there anything that would tell you if this has HW2 or 2.5?
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

Auto Trader logo

Buying a used Model S will save you quite a bit of cash as a 2017 100D has depreciated significantly from new. The downside to it from a technology perspective is that the Model S charges slower, has a slower central screen (MCU1 vs MCU2), and depending on the build date would have an older version of AutoPilot which will not get all the updates that Model Y gets.

If you are ok with major technological cons, you will not regret buying a Model S ...

I recently purchased a used Model S, a P90DL. It's from 2015 so it only has AP1. I gave this a lot of thought but in the end I wanted to drive electric first and wanted the fancy AP second. An AP1 car does adaptive cruise control and lane assist perfectly and the ludicrous mode is mind blowing. With Tesla continuously improving their cars you'll have to first determine for yourself what you really want and then shop around. Otherwise you'll end up in feature limbo. My key considerations:
  1. AP1 or higher (I wanted adaptive cruise control)
  2. theoretical range of 400 kms or higher (long commutes)
All the other stuff (3G vs. 4G, upgraded MCU or not, CSS Combo charger etc etc) is yours to upgrade, how cool is that?! You won't find these kind of upgrades on any other car but spend your money wisely ;) I opted for the CSS Combo upgrade for now so I have much more charging flexibility. I'm planning on driving with the MCU1 until it dies (either eMMC, screen leakage, loss of 3G or unexpected implosion) and then upgrade to MCU2.

The older Models S are now much more affordable today, charging speed is acceptable (40 mins at a supercharger to fill up, 100 km in 10 minutes), "fuel" consumption is a little bit higher than on the new models but man... you'll be driving at lightning speed sitting on a pack of laptop batteries. The model S is an awesome achievement and I'm thrilled to drive one of them. Good luck making the call.

Reactions: Bobby_Dazzler
I recently purchased a used Model S, a P90DL. It's from 2015 so it only has AP1. I gave this a lot of thought but in the end I wanted to drive electric first and wanted the fancy AP second. An AP1 car does adaptive cruise control and lane assist perfectly and the ludicrous mode is mind blowing. With Tesla continuously improving their cars you'll have to first determine for yourself what you really want and then shop around. Otherwise you'll end up in feature limbo. My key considerations:
  1. AP1 or higher (I wanted adaptive cruise control)
  2. theoretical range of 400 kms or higher (long commutes)
All the other stuff (3G vs. 4G, upgraded MCU or not, CSS Combo charger etc etc) is yours to upgrade, how cool is that?! You won't find these kind of upgrades on any other car but spend your money wisely ;) I opted for the CSS Combo upgrade for now so I have much more charging flexibility. I'm planning on driving with the MCU1 until it dies (either eMMC, screen leakage, loss of 3G or unexpected implosion) and then upgrade to MCU2.

The older Models S are now much more affordable today, charging speed is acceptable (40 mins at a supercharger to fill up, 100 km in 10 minutes), "fuel" consumption is a little bit higher than on the new models but man... you'll be driving at lightning speed sitting on a pack of laptop batteries. The model S is an awesome achievement and I'm thrilled to drive one of them. Good luck making the call.
Well said! I'm so glad I got my 2016 75D last year. If I had waited another year I could have got a newer AP version etc but I didn't and I have zero regrets (other than not being able to afford a P version like yours).

Well said! I'm so glad I got my 2016 75D last year. If I had waited another year I could have got a newer AP version etc but I didn't and I have zero regrets (other than not being able to afford a P version like yours).
without disrespecting your thinking, this is not really possible to form yourself an opinion without having used / driven both.
The AP1 works very well in simple situation. The AP2 goes still quite significantly above in term of functionalities and security, thanks to the side cameras.
But it goes beyond that: with AP2, you have all the camera for Sentry Mode which is a game changer. If the car would be cheap, you would have a point. But 2017 AP1 Tesla are still very expensive and not significantly cheaper than 2017 AP2 or 2.5 cars. I think because not everyone is informed. I do believe that if you are looking for a 2016-2017 Tesla, having an AP2 car should be on the very top of the list because it gives much more functionality and for a 2,5k€ upgrade, you give it much much more value for the resale than an AP1 Tesla.