Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building New Home- Best place to Install NEMA 14-50 to charge X in Garage????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks again for advice on number of stalls everyone, we are going with 3 Car Garage! But you mentioned Summon and yes THAT is throwing the biggest wrench into things... I'd much rather have that feature back my cars in so that we can depart our home driving forward out of the driveway, so since I've already seen successful performance in different youtube videos using Summon, I think I'll install the outlets like you mention above. So just to be clear... do you have 2 car or 3 car garage, and if you are looking in through garage door from outside, you see a charger dead center and then one over to the right corner, correct???

Congrats on your 3 car garage, best choice one can make IMO. I have a three car garage, see pic, but we put up a wall between one spot and two spots, so that I can carry out workshop work in the 1 spot without spraying dust over the two parked cars. Also lets us store all stuff behind the wall to keep the parking spaces clear.
Yes you are right, when one looks from the outside into my 2 car area there is one outlet in the center and one in the right corner. The single spot has its outlet around the corner to the right. The corner outlet in the 2 car area is actually in the ceiling, as to not interfere with shelves and bikes parked along the side wall. That was probably not necessary in retrospect could as well have been on the wall.

Attachments

• garage layout.jpg
    garage layout.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
i find it interesting to see a lot of plugs positioned towards the front of the garage. living in our colder climate i like to tinker in my "man cave" when its cold out, but need park the car outside. hence i put the plug close enough to the door that i can park outside, plug it in and close the door (cord running under door) and have my fun in my cave while my S still charges. i wouldnt have been able to do so with the outlet at the front.

i am curious what brand / where you found the retractable cable to hang the cord over the car. please share.

I see a question was asked but I don't see it was answered. The 8500 is myQ, not Homelink, so it cannot be activated by your Tesla, yes?
The 8500 has MyQ and is compatible with HomeLink.

From the LiftMaster site:
Confidently know what’s going on at home with MyQ®*Technology. It lets you monitor and control your Garage Door Opener and home lighting from anywhere (when paired with the Internet Gateway).

Receive email or text alerts so you always know the status of your garage door and home lighting.

Download the MyQ®*mobile app for free. No annual activation fee required.

Compatible with*HomeLink®.

Requires 828LM MyQ Internet Gateway to connect to MyQ Smartphone App.

This is a good layout, but I would recommend putting a 200 or 225 Amp sub-panel in the garage. With EV(s) in your future and putting in a new hosue, get 400 or 600 Amp service for the house. Most inspectors will let you use a sub-panel in the garage as a the cut-off switch for the HPWC. The cost for the sub-panel is probably comparable and will offer more flexibility if you want to make changes for charging later.

+1 on 600 amp service and a 200 amp panel in the garage. I'm currently doing these upgrades to support 3 EVs.

Last edited: