Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for being so jaded, but no they won't. I battled with Tesla and 3 different service centers for 6+ months on this issue. I was even told this hilarious soundbit:

"The screen's brightness level generates heat, meaning the screen is still a mileage related item"

I was so floored by that response I about lost my cool when I replied that "Tesla's feature auto adjusts the screen brightness for me, and has for awhile now".

If they do break down and decide to cover this outside the normal warranty, what will they do for all those they charged 3-5k to replace the screen?

Ironically this means the problem gets worse as the situation gets sunnier. It's sunny (and hot) - the car responds "let's turn up the brightness" and generate more heat - melt the glue extra fast!

Some bubbles appeared in my car's screen on Monday. Called the Service Center and they fixed it on Wednesday. As has been the direction as of late, they did not replace the entire MCU, but instead just the screen.

Tesla said:
Corrections: Replace MCU Touchscreen, Model S
Removed control panel, replaced touch screen assemble and reinstalled. Verified proper operation of touchscreen panel and proper fitment.
Part
ASY,MCU SUB-ASSY SHP GG DISP AND PKG (1089542-00-A) x 1
i09Ol87l.jpg

Reactions: Drucifer
I have had tiny bubbles since March of last year. Two days ago, they expanded rapidly. What is sad, I noticed the bubbles while still in warranty and didn't say anything. Now out of warranty, I will not be replacing the display until Tesla starts covering it. This appears to be a 100% failure item, depending on temperature. I am confident Tesla will do the right thing as other manufacturers, like Toyota, which their head gasket issue, and Mazda did with their RX-8 engine. I never had a problem with my RX-8 but Mazda, extended all the engines out to 100,000 miles. These early adopter cars are where the long term bugs will show their ugly heads. Fortunately for Tesla there are relativley few (25,000 to 50,000) units as opposed to companies like Ford that have had to replace assemblies in over 1,000,000 units.

Attachments

• IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    508.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 85
I have had tiny bubbles since March of last year. Two days ago, they expanded rapidly. What is sad, I noticed the bubbles while still in warranty and didn't say anything. Now out of warranty, I will not be replacing the display until Tesla starts covering it. This appears to be a 100% failure item, depending on temperature. I am confident Tesla will do the right thing as other manufacturers, like Toyota, which their head gasket issue, and Mazda did with their RX-8 engine. I never had a problem with my RX-8 but Mazda, extended all the engines out to 100,000 miles. These early adopter cars are where the long term bugs will show their ugly heads. Fortunately for Tesla there are relativley few (25,000 to 50,000) units as opposed to companies like Ford that have had to replace assemblies in over 1,000,000 units.

I respect your position, but I think you'll get a lot more upset when you start dripping industrial adhesive all over your floormats. I used to keep a towel below the MCU lol...

Bought my Signature MS#272 just about a year ago. Had it's 4yr annual service in Oct. Of course no big issues. Two weeks ago the bubbles appear out of nowhere. The good news is my seller had purchased and passed on to me, the extended warranty. I had read here that while they have the dash opened, I might want to look into getting the LTE upgrade. My 3g service the past few weeks has been horrible for some reason. Loading problems quite often and dropping songs halfway through. So after expressing my frustration with the screen plus the 3g service problem, I was offered a waiver of the $200 deductible for the MCU replacement if I did the LTE upgrade. Decided to do it and I am so glad I did the upgrade. Songs load instantly and have not dropped or produced any load errors. So as much as I hated the screen issue, it did help me make the LTE upgrade decision at the same $500 price I would have paid last year. I don't think they really know if weather is the real reason, but they were quick to offer some $$ relief, so I think they are worried about a larger legal battle if this continues to grow.

I had a small number of these on my screen. At my 4y service, I brought it to their attention. It was more of an FYI, because they weren't bad. They replaced the entire unit under, as it was under warranty. I generally do not have major problems with the car, but I'm glad I purchased the extended warranty because something is proactively replaced at each service.

Oh no! I never noticed any bubbles... :(

Oh no! I never noticed any bubbles... :(
They were "Tiny Bubbles"
They looked like the delamination around the front windshield which I was also not concerned with. It is part of the manufacturing process on the windshield and I have many different Car windshields with them. It is morphing into one big bubble on th top quarter of the display. No gue coming out the bottom yet, but we have a diaper there to hold the "crap" when it does start to Oooz. I am waiting for the SC to come up with a plan.

John