Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Model Y P needs a battery replacement.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True. Sucks for them. I wonder who eats the cost - battery manufacturer or Tesla

I suppose that depends on what “delaminating of the cells” actually means. If the cells are delaminating internally, it would be a battery cell manufacturer issue. If cells are delaminating from their cooling channels (most likely IMO), it’s a pack assembler issue (Tesla).

I’m don’t know the details but it sounds like a problem with the battery manufacturer. If it is a Tesla problem, then it’s a Tesla problem. No fan boy stuff over here.
Tesla's supplier's problem is Tesla's problem. If it is a manufacturing defect with the battery, it is still Tesla's manufacturing defect since we buy the vehicle from them.

Out of curiosity, who makes Model Y batteries?

Tesla's supplier's problem is Tesla's problem. If it is a manufacturing defect with the battery, it is still Tesla's manufacturing defect since we buy the vehicle from them.

Of course. If I hire a general contractor and they sub out the work, I’m going to go to that GC for problems. And I would hold them accountable for the problem. But I wouldn’t necessarily sour on hiring them again if there is a problem with a sub contractor’s work.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: sleepydoc
Correct, and sounds like Tesla is addressing it as best possible but the battery wouldn't be their manufacturing defect, it would be the entire vehicle so it's Tesla's problem of course. However, similar to what torifile said, they can change who they source the batteries from to solve that problem and that really doesn't put a stain on them in that sense because that kind of thing can happen to any business owner, it's just unfortunate. What seems to matter in this case is how they're addressing it, which seems much better than the missing USB-C issue.

My 2021 Y delivered on December 2020 battery replaced after 16k miles this September and turnaround was about 10 days. After repair there was a horrible drill like and whistling sound. They also put a refurbished battery in. It has degraded about 1% so far compared to the previous 10%.

It’s in the SC right now and hopefully done this weekend.

My 2021 Y delivered on December 2020 battery replaced after 16k miles this September and turnaround was about 10 days. After repair there was a horrible drill like and whistling sound. They also put a refurbished battery in. It has degraded about 1% so far compared to the previous 10%.

It’s in the SC right now and hopefully done this weekend.
How did you know that your battery needed replacing? Just a crazy amount of degradation? Any CELs?

I suppose that depends on what “delaminating of the cells” actually means. If the cells are delaminating internally, it would be a battery cell manufacturer issue. If cells are delaminating from their cooling channels (most likely IMO), it’s a pack assembler issue (Tesla).
Yeah, I assumed it was internal to the battery itself, but if it was in the battery assembly rather than the individual cells that would be a different issue.

I’m don’t know the details but it sounds like a problem with the battery manufacturer. If it is a Tesla problem, then it’s a Tesla problem. No fan boy stuff over here.

There's a difference between it being Tesla's problem and Tesla's fault. I read somewhere that Panasonic makes their batteries. If Panasonic has a bad batch of batteries then Tesla wold be liable for fixing the cars. how much liability Panasonic has to Tesla depends on their contracts. On the other hand, if The batteries were fine but Tesla damaged them in assembling the battery pack then it's their responsibility.

The bigger question is whether it's simply a manufacturing issue with a single batch of batteries or if it's due to a more fundamental design flaw. From what I've seen, it's the former, which is reassuring.

Reactions: Tezlowski
Got a call last week from Tesla to bring my car in ASAP.
Dropped off today to find out I’ll need a total battery replacement. Apparently my vin qualifies for a recall due to delaminating battery cells.

Should take about two weeks I was told.

Sucks.
And they gave me this old and dirty model S as a loaner.
Received my MYP in SEPT. Put into service three weeks ago due to a "clunk" sound on NOV 11, when the car wheels were axially loaded (slowly going into parking lot, backing into driveway, etc.) Turned out to be a panel on the top of the battery pack. Full replacement. Still waiting... With no update giving estimate on time.

Funny, got old model S as well.

SC is doing what it can apparently, but so far no new pack.

Reactions: Arthur31 and voxel
Got a call last week from Tesla to bring my car in ASAP.
Dropped off today to find out I’ll need a total battery replacement. Apparently my vin qualifies for a recall due to delaminating battery cells.

Should take about two weeks I was told.

Sucks.
And they gave me this old and dirty model S as a loaner.
My model 3 has been in service for a week and it could be another week to ge it fixed. I got a dirty Red Model S for a loaner. Not complaining. I super charge for free and drive as many miles as I need. I really want my car back. Is your loaner locked in chill mode?

Locked in Chill mode? Seriously? I've never had that in a Tesla loaner, not pre-Enterprise or Enterprise or new post-Enterprise. Speed limiter has been typical for a while if I recall correctly but that's it. Last loaner was already in Ludicrous mode when they gave it to me...

Reactions: hcdavis3
Received my MYP in SEPT. Put into service three weeks ago due to a "clunk" sound on NOV 11, when the car wheels were axially loaded (slowly going into parking lot, backing into driveway, etc.) Turned out to be a panel on the top of the battery pack. Full replacement. Still waiting... With no update giving estimate on time.

Funny, got old model S as well.

SC is doing what it can apparently, but so far no new pack.
I'm getting the same sound and have been putting off making an appt since its hard to reproduce and just kinda happens randomly

Yeah, I assumed it was internal to the battery itself, but if it was in the battery assembly rather than the individual cells that would be a different issue.

There's a difference between it being Tesla's problem and Tesla's fault. I read somewhere that Panasonic makes their batteries. If Panasonic has a bad batch of batteries then Tesla wold be liable for fixing the cars. how much liability Panasonic has to Tesla depends on their contracts. On the other hand, if The batteries were fine but Tesla damaged them in assembling the battery pack then it's their responsibility.

The bigger question is whether it's simply a manufacturing issue with a single batch of batteries or if it's due to a more fundamental design flaw. From what I've seen, it's the former, which is reassuring.

In a thread about battery problems, we need to be clear in the terminology:
Panasonic makes the cells at the Nevada Gigafactory.
Tesla assembles the cells into modules
Tesla assembles the modules into battery packs.

It seems that the cell manufacturing process had an error.
So blame Panasonic?
Note, however, Tesla is trying to get into cell manufacturing and it's possible that it had worked with Panasonic on a change.

But, a dead battery is better than a thermal runaway.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I'm getting the same sound and have been putting off making an appt since its hard to reproduce and just kinda happens randomly
Yup, hard to reproduce and almost didn't happen when I brought it in. I let the mechanic drive it and he luckily was able to reproduce it, and then did the same thing over and over and made it happen, over and over. Then they needed to figure out what was causing it. Went through the suspension, checking torque, etc. Nada. Pulled plugs in floor off and discovered it was battery casing panel on top.
They need to skip anything suspension and go right to checking the battery casing, through the holes in the floor of the car.

Locked in Chill mode? Seriously? I've never had that in a Tesla loaner, not pre-Enterprise or Enterprise or new post-Enterprise. Speed limiter has been typical for a while if I recall correctly but that's it. Last loaner was already in Ludicrous mode when they gave it to me...
My loaner S, is speed limited (<85mph), but I can put it into Insane+ mode. No chill lock here.

Reactions: tm1v2