Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake pedal play / rattle when lifting off pedal...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazing to find this thread now. I've owned my MS for 2 months now (cpo) and I have commented to passengers multiple times that of a car built so tight and rattle free, the brake pedal is the only real rattle it has. And it is quite the loud rattle. Everytime I take my foot off the break. Extremely noticeable to anyone in the car.

This all sounds very familiar and I'm sure I have it too.
Some 8 months ago I reported it to the Service center and we compared it with a brand new showroom model which had the exact same same noise.
It reminds me of the brake pedal release sound of my Citroën Deux-Chevaux when I was a teenager, some 30 years ago, it did the exact same thing :)
I will mention it again next time and reference this thread.

Just received a phone call from the Orlando Service center about fixing my brake pedal noise.

I never called them, merely wrote the post above.

From the days of arguing with car dealerships about noises in cars only to be told its normal or I can't hear it to now dealing with Tesla and getting a call to fix a vehicle problem, sight unseen, complaint not even submitted to them, and a service date to fix the problem now scheduled.

Amazing service Tesla. I'm impressed.

Presumably prompted by post #40 in this forum, I got a call from a nice lady at my SC last night to see about bringing my car in for them to look at my brake pedal issue. (I am impressed, but not surprised, at this level of attention.) After some discussion, we decided to deal with this during a service appointment I had previously scheduled for mid-September. I felt silly setting that appointment up just to deal with some trim issues, but maybe I'll have accumulated enough "real" issues by time it rolls around that it'll actually be worthwhile. :)

Definitely having the same problem since the day I took delivery of the car. Mentioned it to the service center and got the standard BS answer, "operating per manufacturer's specification". The noise is from the break pedal design on the MS with autopilot feature. If you are on your break pedal and then sidestep it, it will rattle loudly. Annoying sound for such an amazing car. I have recently driven two P85 w/o autopilot and barely noticed the rattle, hence I make the assumption the design is a bit different allowing the car to apply the break pedal during autopilot. I guess a typical problem for a "new" car manufacturer...

Definitely having the same problem since the day I took delivery of the car. Mentioned it to the service center and got the standard BS answer, "operating per manufacturer's specification". The noise is from the break pedal design on the MS with autopilot feature. If you are on your break pedal and then sidestep it, it will rattle loudly. Annoying sound for such an amazing car. I have recently driven two P85 w/o autopilot and barely noticed the rattle, hence I make the assumption the design is a bit different allowing the car to apply the break pedal during autopilot. I guess a typical problem for a "new" car manufacturer...

I have a 2013, and its so loud the service center could hear it over the phone.

I've had the same issue since day 1 on my MS85. Mainly noticeable when transitioning foot from brake to go. Just thought it was an inferior design. I meant to mention it when it was in for a recent issue with the wipers. Darnit!!! Maybe next time.

P69296. Mid Feb 2015 delivery

I received a call from the Orlando service center this morning. They were supposed to be picking my car up today to fix the brake issue. Instead they told me that the design team in California is working on a design fix for this, and they will call me when its ready to install it on my car. Looks like I'm waiting with the rest of you.

I received a call from the Orlando service center this morning. They were supposed to be picking my car up today to fix the brake issue. Instead they told me that the design team in California is working on a design fix for this, and they will call me when its ready to install it on my car. Looks like I'm waiting with the rest of you.

Let us know when you hear more. I'd like to have this resolved as well.

Interesting. I got my 70D in June at the Devon, PA SC (anyone listening?) and brought it in the following week inquiring about this noise. I was told all was OK. I did notice the same issue on the P85 loaner I was given, so I assumed everything was working per-design. But now that this appears to be a defect, I'll be sure to bring it up next time I am in.

I have this issue on a new S85D as well. I've complained about this at the service center and they tried to fix it. They tried flushing the brake fluid and replacing it with something more viscous. Of course, this didn't work, so it just seems like a bad design where there is no soft-stop at the top end of travel. I wish they could just put in a felt sticker where the impact is ...

This bothers me because it makes the car sound cheap. When friends ride in it, they would love to buy one. Then they ask, "what was that?" when we pull away from an intersection.

- K

I never heard this sound while driving around as I rarely, if ever, sharply brake and then release the pedal. However, now that I use TACC + Auto-steer, I find that in stop-and-go traffic, the brake releases quite quickly as the traffic momentarily slows down and then picks up. This leaves me listening to the brake pedal bouncing/rattling as it is sharply let go. Quite annoying but one I can live with given all the other features I'm getting. If I remember, I'll bring this to service's attention when I take the car in for a regular maintenance.