Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a model Y that I thought had clean title and found out it was salvage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys.

I just moved into the US and decided to buy a Model Y 2021 from a used car dealer in lease.
It was a great day before I finally got car on my account. I previously own a Model 3 in my home country, so I have a lot of tesla driving experience.

Model Y was great, minor dent on rear trunk which been fixed by dealer (I saw a photo, just a small accident).
But later at home I found that car loses all Tesla warranty. And when I called to support, they said the car should soon lose access to a Supercharger.
They said - our records show - salvage title. I realized that I was in a bad situation...

Car has clean title. I bought reports from Auto Check, CARFAX before. All reports say is CLEAN. I have seen a set of photos with dent.
And now i don't know what to do. Car is still charging on SC (but person on phone said is listed to be disabled in near future), i know it can be restored after battery test.
But car warranty is fully disappeared... I'm new here in US and i thought i can trust reports. But looks like Tesla has another opinion.
I sent a report to Tesla Customer Support (they said to do this on phone). But i don't have ideas what to do now. Just wait or start looking for lawyer to found solution with a dealer.

Thanks for any advices. I'm located in CA, Orange County.

Attachments

• 36386562_6_I.jpeg
    36386562_6_I.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,096
Your car's title should reflect if the car is salvaged. You may be able to look up the title online at the DMV website, if you haven't received a physical one.

Aside from you looking up the VIN number, you should also be clear as to what the dealer had stated in regards to the salvage status. Most states require the dealer to disclose the state of the title.

The thing about Carfax is that they can only list what gets reported to them, so if someone 'fixed' something in their back garden and never told anyone then it would never get onto a Carfax report

Having said that, that's not the way they position themselves. I see their advertising campaign as a suggestion that their reports are accurate and will stop you from buying something that has some history that you wouldn't want to be involved with

Like yblaser said - your first step is to look into their buy back guarantee

1686833242508.png

1686833259625.png

Then of course they start to weasel out of it

1686833315697.png

Here's the guarantee

1686833644483.png

Here's a link to to buyback details

The CARFAX® Buyback Guarantee: Terms & Conditions for Consumers

Good luck

Let us know how you get on

Attachments

• 1686833224183.png
    1686833224183.png
    319.5 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Your car's title should reflect if the car is salvaged. You may be able to look up the title online at the DMV website, if you haven't received a physical one.

Aside from you looking up the VIN number, you should also be clear as to what the dealer had stated in regards to the salvage status. Most states require the dealer to disclose the state of the title.

As @araxara says, the title itself should specify salvage.
Maybe this site would have helpful info: Branded Titles - California DMV

There are three parties that may say something about the state of the title, but I think we've only heard from two of them:
You said the car seller said the title was clean. Tesla says the title is salvage. We haven't heard what the DMV thinks, and that is the most important, because that is the official record of data for it, and THAT is what the possible Carfax buyback guarantee is based on.

If DMV says the title is salvage, then the car sales place misrepresented information to you, and that's fraud, so you can go after them.

If the DMV says the title is clean, then Tesla is wrong, and you can go after them.

Hi guys.

I just moved into the US and decided to buy a Model Y 2021 from a used car dealer in lease.
It was a great day before I finally got car on my account. I previously own a Model 3 in my home country, so I have a lot of tesla driving experience.

Model Y was great, minor dent on rear trunk which been fixed by dealer (I saw a photo, just a small accident).
But later at home I found that car loses all Tesla warranty. And when I called to support, they said the car should soon lose access to a Supercharger.
They said - our records show - salvage title. I realized that I was in a bad situation...

Car has clean title. I bought reports from Auto Check, CARFAX before. All reports say is CLEAN. I have seen a set of photos with dent.
And now i don't know what to do. Car is still charging on SC (but person on phone said is listed to be disabled in near future), i know it can be restored after battery test.
But car warranty is fully disappeared... I'm new here in US and i thought i can trust reports. But looks like Tesla has another opinion.
I sent a report to Tesla Customer Support (they said to do this on phone). But i don't have ideas what to do now. Just wait or start looking for lawyer to found solution with a dealer.

From what I've read California has some real good consumer protection laws. Don't know who they are (I;m in NY). I''m sure this website has some good info
if you do a search. Where did you come from if yot don't mind me asking

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Hi guys.

Most Americans probably (or should know) DO NOT buy a used car from a used car dealer. They are low on the list of dirtbags

Lawsuit.

In this post, the author was able to get a similar problem fixed:

Thank you for advices. Sadly, but wait for DMV is a not short story, because they need to do some paperwork when they get documents from dealer.

And i attach a dealer website screenshot with car information. just fyi.

Now i'm waiting for response from Tesla and for a meet up with a dealer to discuss any way of resolution.

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2023-06-15 в 13.30.54.png
    Снимок экрана 2023-06-15 в 13.30.54.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 508
Without anything else to go on, this sound like one of those cases of title washing. I dont have access to carfax or any of those vin lookup services, but if they show the car being moved between a couple different states in a fairly short period of time, that is another big indication of title washing.

OP, check the carfax for vehicle registration / location information.