Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought used Tesla 2021 m3 lr awd from nontesla dealer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought used Tesla 2021 m3 lr awd from nontesla dealer. They told me it had history of structural repairs.

Got Tesla service center to inspect they said it was safe to drive.

I own the car now. Since the service center told me it was safe I think I’m good and shouldn’t have any hesitation about driving it should I?

I was kind of surprised to see so many people online reflexively say “nooo” when the term structural repair is mentioned but of course that can’t generalize to everyone single situation right? This one has a clean title and no mention of any accident on the carfax or auto check so I’m assuming whatever damage it had must have not been that bad. The used car dealer doesn’t know who repaired it. They just told me that they were told it and front and rear bumper repair. I just took it to the service center to be sure but given they gave me the ok I’m assuming it’s fine ?

Thanks

Bought used Tesla 2021 m3 lr awd from nontesla dealer. They told me it had history of structural repairs.

Got Tesla service center to inspect they said it was safe to drive.

I own the car now. Since the service center told me it was safe I think I’m good and shouldn’t have any hesitation about driving it should I?

I was kind of surprised to see so many people online reflexively say “nooo” when the term structural repair is mentioned but of course that can’t generalize to everyone single situation right? This one has a clean title and no mention of any accident on the carfax or auto check so I’m assuming whatever damage it had must have not been that bad. The used car dealer doesn’t know who repaired it. They just told me that they were told it and front and rear bumper repair. I just took it to the service center to be sure but given they gave me the ok I’m assuming it’s fine ?

Thanks
Did you disclose to Tesla the small detail that the car had a history of structural repairs so they can focus on that before announcing that the car is structurally sound?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
That’s what’s getting me. I’m assuming it not what is normally meant by structural repair given the lack of branded title, nothing on the carfax, no limits to supercharging. The carfax and autocheck also seem to indicate to me that it was an off lease car that was turned into Tesla

Depends a lot on what is meant by "structural repairs". But if it fails and kills you, take comfort in knowing you can sue Tesla for pronouncing it okay.
That’s what’s getting me. I’m assuming it not what is normally meant by structural repair given the lack of branded title, nothing on the carfax, no limits to supercharging. The carfax and autocheck also seem to indicate to me that it was an off lease car that was turned into Tesla

This is what the service center report said .
F855BB1E-46D2-4B48-B18A-646FF234B18D.jpeg

I'd go with it's OK.

If you want to be super careful, ask Tesla service if they removed any pieces to inspect the bumper sub structure. I imagine they did, at least minimally?

If you don't get the warm fuzzies from the answer, think about having a reputable body shop inspect it, maybe ask them to judge whether it's worth removing the bumper covers and looking deeper at the sub structure. Or maybe they can see it on a rack, just removing the lower plastic under the bumpers? IDK how Teslas are put together.

Removing and inspecting the bumper might cost a few hundred, depending on how far they go, and how "reputable" they are (shop rate $200/hr? $100?).

If it was me, I'd be tempted to take the bumper cover off myself, but knowing Teslas penchant for plastic clips being one time use, I'd think hard about it.

Reactions: actnpotential