Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW tries to fight my Model S - somewhat successful...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The insurance company failed to call me when they knew more - what I wanted them to do. They sit in the office, waiting for the expertise to be online - while that won't come yet:

On Monday 26th, the car was examined by the expert - and the immediately started ordering parts, as this might take long. They now wait for everything to be there to fix the wheel/suspension, so the car can stand on its own, again. THEN they can measure, examine, if anything important was bent - and has to be replaced, too. The body work starts later, also. That's why the total damage is not know, exactly, yet, and why the woman in the office does not know anything. FAIL!

All this I was told yesterday, when I called the body shop. He assured that it was far from a total loss - all that can be fixed. Expensive, yes but it's body work, most. Even if they find a bent part in the chassis, later, they'll cut that out/remove it, order new, and fix. That would mean more cost, loss of value (to be replaced by the offender's insurance), and still far from a total loss. The car is simply too new to be a total loss, they say.

Updated rear fender price, for those interested (he did not say my car has broken ones, not yet, but I asked anyway): around CHF 8'000.-, mounted.

Tomorrow it will be 4 weeks...

As I was close, I decided to stop at the garage repairing my Model S (Tesla certified partner, AMAG Switzerland, importer of Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda/Porsche). Short version:

The wheel is fixed already. That needed to be done first anyway, to be able to measure out all the rest, after. Car had to stand on its own.
Conclusion:
No major damage, suspension is fixed, new rim as old one was scratched severely, new tire too (on the left also, to keep it symmetric). The drivetrain, front motor ... are intact, need no work, and the car moves/drives on its own, already

Rear door is replaced already, only needs the black paint/finishing. Front door also, but that one is not mounted yet. But they got a new front door ready, also.

Front fender: replaced, just not painted yet, same as rear door.

The frame around the lower parts of the front door has been bent. That part will be cut out and replaced. The part has arrived today, maybe, they have got a delivery from Tesla, but not opened it yet when I was there.

Rear fender: scratches and slight dents, nothing too bad, I don't think they will replace that. I guess they'll fill that, and paint it.

The biggest delays are due to part delivery from Tesla. Officially Tesla promises 5 working days for every part, coming from the Netherlands, Tilburg. Parts used commonly are stored at the actual body repair shop where my car is, but a few had to be ordered from Tesla.
Some things will only show up DURING repair, and that means: new parts order, new wait...

By now, they think they can work quite quick once the last door frame part (only lower section) arrives. The rest should be 'easy'.

Notes:
- No damage on the left side.
- No damage to the motors / drive units
- After the body work is done, car has to be brought to the Winterthur Service Center (Tesla) to justify radar and camera. The body shop only does the setup for the wheels, not for the assistance systems. Tesla will do a final check, anyway.

so long... let's hope to have it back withing 3 weeks, or so. The guy said "This year, for sure!" :(

Update:

There's something wrong with my last "update". In fact, they got NO FRONT DOOR READY! :(

I called last Thursday to ask for an update, status info. They said Tesla had only just delivered 'a' front door - the day before, Nov. 25. - one full month after the car was examined and, as promised by AMAG, parts should have been ordered, immediately. I can't believe it took Tesla so long, I guess they messed up ordering parts earlier. But they got the rim/frame part.

B U T !!!

The door they got is a left one! So, one month later, they have - no right door yet. Incredible. And even though they should be able to prepare the frame part, I think they did nothing, because the car's never been online since - I was not able to reach it via phone, which was possible earlier.

That means another 5 days - at least - for a right door to arrive, maybe they get it this week. Plus time to fix everything. Plus time to do the paint work. Plus time to send it to Tesla. Plus time to check all the sensors there, and do other checking. Seatbelt comes to my mind ;) . Plus time to send the car back. Plus time to have it examined by the road traffic licensing department.

Call me lucky if I get it in 2 more weeks, from today. Or before x-mas, to prepare for the worst... :( :( :(

DAMMIT!

I see 3, 4, 5 Model S every day. Every encounter gives me physical pain. I W A N T M Y C A R B A C K !!!

No i3, won't have the range I need.

Today I got an email saying they have finished painting. Tomorrow they will start to mount everything, put all together, rebuild the car.
On December 17 they will have to show up at the authorities'.

Update from yesterday, Tuesday afternoon:

Tuesday:
Car is in the body shop.
Painting: done
Assembly: almost done, to be finished during the rest of the day

Wednesday (today): car is at the Tesla service center, Winterthur, for alignment of the auto pilot hardware / sensors, and final checks (electronics)

Thursday morning: car will be at the authorities' (road traffic licensing department), to be examined. They have to accept the repairs and declare the car 'secure to be used on public roads' again.
Thursday, after the check: back to the body shop, where they will clean it and make it ready to be handed back to me

Friday: I'll get it back, if nothing special happens - let's hope for the best. It COULD be they get it done on Thursday, then I would pick it up on my way home in the evening.

I've joined the club yesterday...

I was rear ended at around 40 mph while I was at a standstill in a traffic jam.
The alu frame of my car is bent at the back and for safety reasons the service center had me drive the car to a certified body shop immediately.
Given the holidays the body shop is closing down now so it will probably be around 4 weeks before I have my car back.
There's a good chance it's the end of the story for the BMW.

Schade aan voertuig A obfuscated.jpg

Schade aan voertuig B.jpg

The alu frame of my car is bent at the back and for safety reasons the service center had me drive the car to a certified body shop immediately.
Given the holidays the body shop is closing down now so it will probably be around 4 weeks before I have my car back.

Hope it's not a bent frame or anything as major. But from the looks of it, the battle of BMW vs. Tesla was an easy win for your Model S and a knock-out for the BMW. Hopefully you get your car back soon. Terrible way to spend the holidays.

Ouch! Looks like about 10k of damage. :(

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Ouch! Looks like about 10k of damage. :(

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

It will be much more than 10k. The whole inside of the trunk is bent including the frame. So new parts need to be soldered, riveted, glued before the exterior body parts can be replaced. I'll give more info when I can get hold of the actual parts list and cost. It doesn't look like a lot of damage from the outside but once you look at the frame and trunk compartments from under the car, you can see that it was a serious blow. I think the whole rear side got pushed in by at least 30 cm (12 inch).

The Tesla protected me very well. I don't have a whiplash. A Model S is a very safe car to drive in compared to other vehicles.