Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW folks comments on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly don't know the total number of speakers the car has. But yeah, the sound system on the X is amazing. One cool thing about the new refreshed X (and I guess on the new S as well) is you can watch 2 different Youtube contents on 2 different screens. If you have Youtube TV subscription, you can watch live TV channels via the Youtube app. I pay for the NFL Sunday ticket subscription. My son can watch 1 live football game on the rear screen and I can watch a different live football game on the front screen. However, the sound can only be heard from one screen at a time....and you can toggle the sound for either the front or the rear screen. When the car is moving, only the youtube on rear screen can be played and the only the rear speakers can be heard......the front speakers are muted.
Damn that's awesome! good to know

Before I had my Model S Plaid I got a BMW iX M60 EV SUV about a year ago.
It has 620 hp.
It's a more Traditional looking SUV than the Model X, more tightly built than the Tesla having
virtually no wind noise or even the slightest vibration in the steering or chassis.

The GPS is 3D and switches from the map and uses the front camera and sequential arrows when you get close to show you where to turn.

When you go from Reverse to Drive it turns on the front camera until you are going 8 mph.
For all it's cameras the Model S does not have this common feature.
My brother's 23 Buick Encore has this feature as well.

For having such a big huge screen the text and art work size is small and could be bigger.
But I bought the Plaid for it's acceleration so these things are minor issues.
I like the little car going down the road in the cluster.
I like having both EVs with the BMW more my winter car now that I have the Plaid.

Reactions: DBV1
BMW iDrive for Media is far superior to Tesla’s. All favorites from sources can save, reordered, deleted and then scanned with steering wheel controls. Album art is the proper size too and not puny like on Model S. Also - shows up in drivers infotainment screen, where as Model S nothing. Such no brainer functions/features that Model S should have, especially the large screen.

Reactions: E90alex and teko
This ix…..the i5, i7, EQS, and Tesla are on my shopping list for the next EV car. I will never go back to driving an ICE car again. Since I already own 2 Teslas with the reliable supercharging network, I can get a non-Tesla EV car with not so good charging network. I’ve heard a lot of good reviews about this ix like smoother ride, more luxurious interior, and more accurate range estimate than the Teslas etc. The thing I don’t like about this ix is the exterior styling with the unproportionally large kidney grill. IMO, the EQS SUV is the best looking SUV…and then the model X….the Etron SUV….and then this ix. I guess it’ll take some time for me to learn to appreciate the styling of this ix. I used to hate the look of the model X when it was first introduced (in 2016?). Now, I think the X is a good looking car, especially with the new black out trims and door handles….it’s not as good looking as the model S though.

My friend told me that it’s cheaper to lease the EQS (not sure about the bmw’s EV cars) because their EV sale has not been very good. My friend only pays $800/month to lease the 450+ EQS SUV….while it’s ICE equivalence (the GLS 450) costs a lot more (at least 1200-1300/month) to lease. If Elon raises the price next year, I might consider leasing a non-Tesla EV car.

Last edited:
This ix…..the i5, i7, EQS, and Tesla are on my shopping list for the next EV car. I will never go back to driving an ICE car again. Since I already own 2 Teslas with the reliable supercharging network, I can get a non-Tesla EV car with not so good charging network. I’ve heard a lot of good reviews about this ix like smoother ride, more luxurious interior, and more accurate range estimate than the Teslas etc. The thing I don’t like about this ix is the exterior styling with the unproportionally large kidney grill. IMO, the EQS SUV is the best looking SUV…and then the model X….the Etron SUV….and then this ix. I guess it’ll take some time for me to learn to appreciate the styling of this ix. I used to hate the look of the model X when it was first introduced (in 2016?). Now, I think the X is a good looking car, especially with the new black out trims and door handles….it’s not as good as good looking as the model S though.
Our local dealer gave me an IX for a weekend, when our X5 was in service. Think they were hoping my wife would want it. I liked it, but was not super impressed with the way it drove. Can’t put my finger on it. Needless to say, my wife won’t get rid of her X5d, otherwise we would have an X. Haha.

Reactions: UCLA98
BMW iDrive for Media is far superior to Tesla’s. All favorites from sources can save, reordered, deleted and then scanned with steering wheel controls. Album art is the proper size too and not puny like on Model S. Also - shows up in drivers infotainment screen, where as Model S nothing. Such no brainer functions/features that Model S should have, especially the large screen.
I prefer the simplicity of Tesla UI with fewer physical buttons over the more complicated BMW’s one. I use the Tesla’s voice control all the time…. to do things like “open the glove box” “show the tire pressure” “climate keeper on” “fold the mirrors” “enable child lock” “open spotify” “open XM radio” “open youtube” “open trip settings” “navigate to…..” etc. I can do all these while driving. I can’t use voice control to set my destination on the Bmw’s android auto Navigation while the car is moving (it has to be in PARK).

I know many owners here have criticized the lack of the bird's eye view on the Tesla's camera. But I much prefer Tesla’s simple backup camera with the 2 white guiding lines. I can back in my Tesla much quicker than I can with BMW X7's camera system, which has a much dimmer backup camera, especially at night. Because of this Tesla’s awesome (and very bright) camera, I usually back in my Tesla when I park. And because of the wide angle view, I never have to turn my head around to scan the rear surrounding. I’ve had a few BMWs and I still can’t get used to the I drive. And the BMW’s voice control is sluggish…not as instant as the Tesla’s one.

Last edited:
This ix…..the i5, i7, EQS, and Tesla are on my shopping list for the next EV car. I will never go back to driving an ICE car again. Since I already own 2 Teslas with the reliable supercharging network, I can get a non-Tesla EV car with not so good charging network. I’ve heard a lot of good reviews about this ix like smoother ride, more luxurious interior, and more accurate range estimate than the Teslas etc. The thing I don’t like about this ix is the exterior styling with the unproportionally large kidney grill. IMO, the EQS SUV is the best looking SUV…and then the model X….the Etron SUV….and then this ix. I guess it’ll take some time for me to learn to appreciate the styling of this ix. I used to hate the look of the model X when it was first introduced (in 2016?). Now, I think the X is a good looking car, especially with the new black out trims and door handles….it’s not as good looking as the model S though.

My friend told me that it’s cheaper to lease the EQS (not sure about the bmw’s EV cars) because their EV sale has not been very good. My friend only pays $800/month to lease the 450+ EQS SUV….while it’s ICE equivalence (the GLS 450) costs a lot more (at least 1200-1300/month) to lease. If Elon raises the price next year, I might consider leasing a non-Tesla EV car.
Yes on the iX I didn't like the gaping grille and the 2 tone so I made a removable grille cover and added skirts and spoilers and mudflaps and painted the black parts red.
I used to be a bodyman and painter and I paid by check.
I keep my cars a long time so this was nothing I couldn't do.

Before

After

Last edited:
Reactions: UCLA98