Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blinded Cameras Since March 2023 Tesla vision release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read through the threads on camera blinding but nothing since Tesla Vision release on March - my 2023 Model 3 Perf started getting right camera blinded messages when I'm driving down local streets here in Tucson, along with right near my house [no street lights] and then this past Sunday I was driving from Florence to Oracle on Highway 79 and there is not a light in sight and I started getting the 'Right Pillar Camera Blinded or not working' messages -

Eventually I figured out it was just too dark. Who would have though they would not have put in an dual Viz/IR camera in the slot - but I guess all those bicoastal elites who own Teslas are never anywhere its dark enough to confuse the smart car! I even have the issue pulling up my driveway where the left side is dark and I'll get the 'Tesla Vison Inop' message.

Who would have thought one of the most advanced vehicles on the planet gets confused when its dark!

No street lights around here and I've gotten the "b pillar camera blocked" messages at night for over 2 years now. Never seems to affect anything other than the messages popping up. I only wish there was an option to "dismiss" those messages permanently since they seem to affect nothing.

Mike

Read through the threads on camera blinding but nothing since Tesla Vision release on March - my 2023 Model 3 Perf started getting right camera blinded messages when I'm driving down local streets here in Tucson, along with right near my house [no street lights] and then this past Sunday I was driving from Florence to Oracle on Highway 79 and there is not a light in sight and I started getting the 'Right Pillar Camera Blinded or not working' messages -

Eventually I figured out it was just too dark. Who would have though they would not have put in an dual Viz/IR camera in the slot - but I guess all those bicoastal elites who own Teslas are never anywhere its dark enough to confuse the smart car! I even have the issue pulling up my driveway where the left side is dark and I'll get the 'Tesla Vison Inop' message.

Who would have thought one of the most advanced vehicles on the planet gets confused when its dark!
I live in Massachusetts so I suppose you think I'm a bicoastal elite. The fact is that since we both own Teslas, we are both elite. Moving on from that remark of yours, I live in a very rural area. The roads are very dark at night, & on sunny, snowy days in the winter, my cameras often get blinded. It also gets blinded on sunny days when the sun is low on the horizon. It's been that way since I bought my M3LR in September of 2020. I'm used to it. To solve this problem you'd need an infrared sensor for better night vision. To solve the problem of the cameras being blinded by bright sun you'd need a camera with an aperture that can automatically stop down it's aperture to at least F/16. So, yes, there is a solution to those problems but it's going to raise the price of your car quite a bit. As for the camera being blinded by the sun when it is low on the horizon, there isn't a camera in the world that can overcome the lens flare caused by such conditions.

This is my exact experience too... Tesla do not admit to this however!

November 13, 2023 - Got a new S today, in their new metallic flake "Stealth Grey" - looks pretty good. First night driving and yes, the cameras were "blinded" on my dark CT country roads. I thank this thread for the info that I am not alone and give back by saying this issue of being able to dismiss (or not even have) error msgs ain't fixed yet.

Picked it up in Mt Kisco, NY because CT does not allow sales of Company Stores. (My previous car was a silver Sept. 2013 P85 which
I used for 250K before the battery shut itself down last month - only lost 12% over the period. Sold it "as-is" on Ebay to to a guy in Tbilisi Georgia - it's in a container from Port Newark headed to him now...).