Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RAV4 Prime (LED Projector) causes "... front fender camera blocked or blinded"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
Just an observation from a drive last night... I was going down CA-24 in Northern California, and I noticed I kept getting a "Left front fender camera blocked or blinded" message. The car is pretty clean, so I was a bit confused.

I slowed down... and the error went away. Then I sped back up, and the error came back.

I noticed that the only variable (other than distance travelled) was that this RAV4 Prime with the annoying blue-ish LED projector headlghts had been hanging in my blind spot.

So for the next 2 miles, I sped up and slowed down. Every time the RAV4 got about 15 feet behind my car, the warning would appear. Every time I moved away or behind the RAV4, the message would go away. Later on my drive I found another RAV4 Prime near me, and the same error appeared, but this time on the Right side.

This seems to be the only vehicle type I've driven near that has caused this error. Big ole' lifted trucks from Clayton running nasty HID's don't even cause this error to appear. And a normal RAV4 with the more yellow tint headlights seemed to be fine too. It's just the RAV4 Prime and these blue-ish projectors. I guess this is likely a 2021 MY because the California tag starts with 8U*, but it could be a 2022.

Anyway, I'm curious what it is about these RAV4 Prime lights that causes this phenomenon. I guess eventually those coal-rolling-big-ole'-trucks will start putting these lights all over if it turns out it's easy to blind Tesla's cameras and sensors.